draw through turbo setup w/o carbon seal

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
MO Looker

Post by MO Looker »

buguy wrote:Got any links to what you bought off ebay?? I need to do the same with my T3 and looks like it will be much higher than you payed. Gpopshop quoted me over $50 more than you paid, but maybe it is better stuff...who knows??
GPopShop are fantastic guys but some things they just don't have a need to keep components for-like our oddball T3/T4 (T04E compressor) turbos.

Here is where I got my carbon seal goodies:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/tu ... omZQQ_ipgZ

The carbon seal goodies aren't listed in their Ebay store, contact them through ebay for info on it all.

I dealt with a real nice guy named James.
Quality stuff that fit GREAT, he knew exactly what I needed, had it in stock at super fair prices, fair and FAST shipping!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ya, was not flameing them at all. I have heard nothing but great things about them! They were prompt, courtieous, and very helpful to the questions I had. Emailed me back the next morning with the info I needed.
Just would like to find a more cost effective way to do the same job.
Stock 1600 high Rev single springs
MS3 Pro Evo
TD04 Subaru turbo
Single TB
Water/Air intercooled
Water /meth injection
E85
always half done
MO Looker

Post by MO Looker »

buguy wrote:Ya, was not flameing them at all. I have heard nothing but great things about them! They were prompt, courtieous, and very helpful to the questions I had. Emailed me back the next morning with the info I needed.
Just would like to find a more cost effective way to do the same job.
No problem, I knew you were another happy GPop person. :)

I couldn't be more pleased with the way my back plate and carbon seal parts installed.
Besides....that blue backing plate looks incredible.
It REALLY looks like some big-dollar turbo now. :twisted:
m.j957

Re:

Post by m.j957 »

buguy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 pm Thats about how my T3 with no seal is too. Not sure of the effects of it though??
i am trying to do a draw-through system also.. only turbos that I am able to afford are dynamic seal turbos.. how to u reduc the vacuum on the turdo when u decelerate?
buguy

Re: draw through turbo setup w/o carbon seal

Post by buguy »

No clue. I just ran mine how it was.
Do yourself a favor and get a TD04-13t from a WRX. They really work well. Nice big drain, and it should serve you well for a long time.
Lo Cash John

Re: Re:

Post by Lo Cash John »

m.j957 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:33 am
buguy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 pm Thats about how my T3 with no seal is too. Not sure of the effects of it though??
i am trying to do a draw-through system also.. only turbos that I am able to afford are dynamic seal turbos.. how to u reduc the vacuum on the turdo when u decelerate?
Welcome!! What are you trying to build?
m.j957

Post by m.j957 »

i am trying to build a 1992 toyota tercel with a 3e engine. it is carburated, single-cam with 12 valves
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think if you have a nice big drain with as few turns or bends (like none!) in it you should be fine with a dynamic seal.
m.j957

Post by m.j957 »

buguy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:20 am No clue. I just ran mine how it was.
Do yourself a favor and get a TD04-13t from a WRX. They really work well. Nice big drain, and it should serve you well for a long time.
what i have is a toyota ct9 turbo how do u think that will fair?.. the TD04-13t is about $800.. that could buy the car twice lol..
m.j957

Post by m.j957 »

buguy wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:46 am I think if you have a nice big drain with as few turns or bends (like none!) in it you should be fine with a dynamic seal.
okay I think I will give that a try.
Lo Cash John

Post by Lo Cash John »

m.j957 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:06 am i am trying to build a 1992 toyota tercel with a 3e engine. it is carburated, single-cam with 12 valves
If I were you I would consider a blow through system to pressurize the carb. In your application that may be easier to do actually. If the stock carb cannot be easily adapted for turbo use, can you install a Weber DGEV or similar progressive carb?

Does your engine use an electric fuel pump or a mechanical fuel pump?

Do you know if the timing curve (advance/retard) is controlled by electronics of mechanical mechanism inside the distributor?
m.j957

Post by m.j957 »

i will look into whether or not I can get a weber carb.. i was looking into possibly getting a mini cooper carburetor as those can be set up for blow-through.

the fuel pump is mechanical and the distributor advance is controlled mechanicalyl through that little vacuum diaphragm that is connected to the intake manifold.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

I have run three turbos without a carbon seal that were draw through set ups. Never a problem pushing oil through it. The vacuum the cam creates is what sucks the oil through the turbo and smaller cams have much more vacuum than a bigger cam. Put as big of a cam as you can run in it and don’t worry about it.
Manuqtix

Post by Manuqtix »

I have a question.

What are the pros and cons of having a carbon seal vs dynamic seal
How can you determine if your turbocharger is fitted with a carbon seal?
Do expensive turbos come with carbon seals?
What if I use an oil restrictor will that help instead of using a carbon seal?
madmike

Post by madmike »

I've been 'draw threw ' for about 5 years with just dynamic seals(mostly ebay turbos) ,, yes on the resticktor and huge drain :wink: