Page 1 of 2

Additional Cylinder studs

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:43 pm
by Moss64C
I'm building a 2.7ltr engine and would like advice on adding more studs (5 or 6 ?) to the cylinders and heads. I've looked at some of the 5 stud configurations and can't see the advantage of the 5th stud just above the spark plug hole. I haven't sen any 6 stud configurations, do they use 6? Looks like the head fins would flex before adding and additional holding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Mike :D

Re: Additional Cylinder studs

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:47 pm
by Piledriver
Moss64C wrote:I'm building a 2.7ltr engine and would like advice on adding more studs (5 or 6 ?) to the cylinders and heads. I've looked at some of the 5 stud configurations and can't see the advantage of the 5th stud just above the spark plug hole. I haven't sen any 6 stud configurations, do they use 6? Looks like the head fins would flex before adding and additional holding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Mike :D
Significant additional material is welded into the heads where the studs go (And on the jugs before they are bored)... It's not remotely a simple 'drill it/add more studs' operation.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:45 pm
by baja stu
I have a 2.6 with six stud per cylinder. The 5th and 6th studs are 5/16" bolts. Brothers Machine shop or FAT Performance can provide this service.

http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18079


http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18076

http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18077

http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18078

Baja Stu

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:51 pm
by Moss64C
Thanks for the photos. They explain a lot. Where is Brothers Machine Shop located? Thanks Mike

Re: Baja Stu

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:36 pm
by baja stu
Moss64C wrote:Thanks for the photos. They explain a lot. Where is Brothers Machine Shop located? Thanks Mike
Ontario , Ca . 909-947-6001 they do awsome work!

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:49 am
by Wally
Nice pictures and very nicely done!

Did it stop the head leaking?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 pm
by baja stu
Yes. Fat only has five studs on their engines but Brothers will install a 6th stud. When you get into anything over a 4" bore it’s hard to stop leaks on a VW engine.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:29 pm
by techsol
What's the approx. cost on a 6th mod ?

I have just bought some parts from an old Mark Stephens failed project from years past.

103MM jugs and slugs
2.0 914 heads, stock , to be c'bored for 103's
relieved case
mod'd rods
DPR 78.4mm knife edged and balanced crank
Deep sump

Have to make a cam selection, playing with desktop dyno now

was thinking that a 5th or 6th stud set up would be the way to go as long as I'm not far along.

Any inputs and comments welcome!!!!!

Dick

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:33 pm
by typ4
Wow, there is a name that I havent heard in a while. Anyone know what happened to MArk Stephens??
The 5th stud is to prevent the head bow between the studs, even a 1/4dia stud will help. The sparkplug area on a bus head is way thin.
You have 914 2.0 heads and in my opinion they may not need extra for a mild engine. I ran a 103x71 for 13 years with 10.25:1 comp and it never leaked. With bus heads. YMMV

what are you putting this engine in?
I used a c35 scat cam in mine and it pulls forever. If you want big I have a ran for 3 hours webcam 86b/c small base circle that is for sale.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:04 pm
by Tom Notch
I have a pair of 914 2.0 6 stud heads done by M. S. that are in my swap meet box. bored the "103"std., 44x 38, never used. They have all the mods.

I told a pretty good story and it may still be in the archives here.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:37 pm
by typ4
So you are going to sell them? I wish I was working.

I found the story Tom, pretty much what I heard .I lost a pallet of 30 heads in the mess. Wish I had them today now that I have a seat and guide machine.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:27 am
by techsol
Morning,

Not tring to hijack the thread, just piggy back on the studding info!

I am dropping it into a 914 that I picked up that has a FAT prepared 2.1L that was started 11 years ago, kid had no oil pressure. Turned it off to garage it till he got back to it and left for a job in Japan. Got it for a song!

Tying to decide on my options for dropping the Mark Stephens parts in with a lot of fore thought

Thanks Dick

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:30 am
by techsol
Tom, I just found your site this weekend and have been working through it. Great info!!!!

I'll have to look at your heads and look for the story!

Dick

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 am
by fusername
so to revive an old question, what kind of coin are we talking for 6th stud work, case only?

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:31 am
by Type 4 Unleashed
This bugs me so I'll fix it with the actual Pics... :lol:

Image
Image
Image
Image

Here's something I came across and have been considering. Now depending on crank strokes and rod lengths, I kinda like this better, and even have a couple of ideas for improvements. And no case welding required. And won't even mention the extra cooling.

Image