Exploded Views of Engine Components

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
david58

Exploded Views of Engine Components

Post by david58 »

Last edited by david58 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
SiQDiZ
Site Admin

Post by SiQDiZ »

Great detail! :D
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

now if we could get an identical shot of a type 1 engine.. for comparison :)
david58

Post by david58 »

Bugfuel wrote:now if we could get an identical shot of a type 1 engine.. for comparison :)
Oh we will I will delete that one and replace it. I like this new cheap scanner. :wink:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
fortyeye

Post by fortyeye »

Bugfuel wrote:now if we could get an identical shot of a type 1 engine.. for comparison :)
Here's an exploded view of Buster John's type 1 as a result of a NOS boom. Irwindale 1/8th mile last night. He was getting ready for Bugin 33 Sunday and recounted his misfortune over on CLF.
Sorry David, couldn't resist.
AKA clearsurf
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

David58bug wrote:
Oh we will I will delete that one and replace it. I like this new cheap scanner. :wink:

No don't delete, I really meant we should have both :)
david58

Post by david58 »

Too late already did. :oops:
david58

Post by david58 »

Type 2
david58

Post by david58 »

david58

Post by david58 »

Last edited by david58 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
david58

Post by david58 »

Last edited by david58 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
david58

Post by david58 »

david58

Post by david58 »

FJCamper wrote:Image

The above is a blast from the past, a 1950's Porsche 1.3/1,5 (roller crank!) Super engine. When VW guys take a look at it, they immediately see an engine they know...right down to the grandfather of the "Kadrons," actually 40mm Solexes. Kadron was just the name of the Brazillian company that sold a variant of the carbs beginning in the 1970's.

Porsche thought it had oil slosh control handled because of the design of the sump. Look how the sump narrows at the camshaft. The VW is the same.

356's had more oil capacity (3.5 liters with a later increase to 4.5) than a VW, helped because of a bypass filter system. And in 1960-61, they got whopping 36mm oil pumps.

Anyway, in 1960, Porsche made a huge improvement we all use today -- the windage pushrod tube. This is a tube with a simple but effective extension on the case end, which helps prevent oil from sloshing up from the sump into the heads.

An oil note: roller cranks could live with less oil pressure than plain bearing cranks, but Porsche developed the plain bearing crank to the point that we can get 7k+ out of one then and now.

When they dropped the roller cranks, they needed better oil control, and gave us the windage pushrod tube.

FJC
dspender

Re: Exploded Views of Engine Components

Post by dspender »

where could I find such exploded views of a 1971 AE engine I have?
david58

Re: Exploded Views of Engine Components

Post by david58 »

Look in the exploded views in the newbie threads

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using Tapatalk