Page 1 of 1

What Do Wire Abbreviations Mean - by rickosuave1987

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:44 am
by MNAirHead
rickosuave1987 wrote:
DesertGuy wrote:
MNAirHead wrote:is there an easy way to tell what all the wire abbreviations mean?

Timmy

Rin Tim-Tim:

Me No Se :oops: Once again, I ass-u-me that the XL in SXL, GXL, TXL may mean Cross Link wire. When I was researching the different kits like Painless Wiring, American Auto-Wire, Centech, Kwik-Wire, etc... they said all of their kits were made with the SXL wire... So, that was the consensus that I went with. And when I saw that the temp rating was significantly higher than Primary Wire... I was sold.
The abbr. stand for what the sheating is made out of and what it does.

THW--Thermoplastic Heat and Water Resistant

THHN--Thermoplastic High Heat Resistant Nylon

Im not sure on the SXL wire. We dont use that for wiring buildings :wink:

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:04 pm
by rickosuave1987
After some research, I found out that SXL wire is--Standard Wall Cross Link sheathing.

GXL is Thin Wall Cross Link sheathing.

Both can withstand higher temps than THW or THHN primary wire, and are used mainly for automotive applications.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:02 pm
by MNAirHead
thank you.. this (abbreviations) are confusing to those of us learning.

T.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm
by 2088 bob
Tim any standard electrical code book should have the descriptions of most wiring jacket names in it