Page 1 of 1
Alt and Oil Warning lights on a rail
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:18 am
by fl_buggy
I'm wiring up the charging and oil pressure warning lights on my rail buggy. I'm making my own dash and purchased some clearance lights so they are big and bright. Here's my problem. These lights are designed to ground through the chassis and just have 1 wire for 12v. In my studies, I have found that the idiot lights get 12v supplied to one side, and go to the alt. and oil pressure switch on the other side. So as provided, my lights won't work correctly, is this correct? I'm thinking I can snip the lead going from the bulb to the chassis ground and just solder a 12v wire to this lead and that should get me going. Am I understanding this correctly?
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:14 pm
by Speedy Jim
Correct on all counts.
If you manage to separate the bulb leads, wire it up like this.
The diode is important with large bulbs and with any form of
electronic ignition; without the diode the engine may continue to run
with the Ign switch off due to feedback from the alternator.
Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:27 am
by fl_buggy
SWEET! Is the diode a radio shack item or do I need to order it from a supply house?
Thanks for the help!
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:31 am
by Speedy Jim
Radio Snack would have them...
Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:24 am
by MNAirHead
remember your best route is to print out the diagragm so they can match the diode spec.
Do not trust radio shack to cross reference or give alternative options..
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:47 pm
by fusername
Airhead, in any other scenario I would say you are right. however the type and style of this diode really doesnt matter. Ratshack is not to be trusted. just grab a diode that is not tiny, and you have the right thing, i do believe. you could prolly just grab one from some junke electronics you have kicking around.
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:17 am
by MNAirHead
fusername wrote:... not to be trusted. just grab a diode that is not tiny, and you have the right thing, i do believe. ....
how big is big?
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:28 am
by Speedy Jim