Hedrock's 'vert project...

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Hedrock's 'vert project...

Post by Hedrock »

As you can see I didn't start with a real 'vert.
Image
Image
Replaced floor pans and cut off roof... ready to start frame.
Image
Started with a class 11 and went from there
Image
worked on frame ang gathered parts ... pretty much a rolling chasis
Image
sorry this ones fuzzy!
Image
Found 'vert body!!!
Image
Image
Pretty much the way is is now. I hope to have it finished by early spring.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
I will post more detailed pics as I can. Still working on the big stuff.
questions or comments... be nice :) Brian
Last edited by Hedrock on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

sweet car, finished by late spring.. hahaha, lets see how long it takes :D :D

lets hear the specs, what kind of powerplant is going into it?
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

Sorry... I was thinkin' more like next spring :oops: . Engine, around a 2276
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

A small suggestion... you may have clearance problems with your hi-mount rear fenders that low. Have you collapsed the suspension after installing those? You are running 3x3's right?

The car is looking really good!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Hedrock, man glad your here, sweet project! What did you do to the tunnel, explain the pan process if you will.

Oh and I want to be the first to ask, what is it going to weigh?
TCoville
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:27 pm

Post by TCoville »

looks awsome. were you able to move the body on off with the roof cut off ok? i want to pull my body but with no roof i am worried it may bow or flex etc etc.
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

Looks like there is enough questions... so I will leave it at:

Very Nice :wink:
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

I am Jealous. Dad Gummit that is the first time anyone did the body off and built a cage. Awesome build it needs to be in the stickies. Leather your slippin.......... :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

Skidmark... the fenders are only held on with pony clamps. I wasn't sure if I was going to use these or go with aluminum fenders. When I saw how yours looked mounted I decided to use these. I will mount them when I get closer to paint.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

That is a great lookin project man! very nice!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

the fenders are only held on with pony clamps.
Good deal... They looked too low for the arms you are using. They are 3x3's, right?
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Post by fusername »

you couldn't possibly work in avionics, could you? Sweet job, I hope to do a baja build like that a few hundred years from now.
Bend out that frame yourself?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

The rear arms are 3x3's with dura blue stubs and type 3 brakes.


This car was very rusty as was the 'vert body when I got it. The pan I started with had at one time layed on it's side in the weather and it had rusted all along one side where the tunnel meets the pan. I figured that it would be easier to cut the tunnel out than try to fix it. Now there is a 2x2square tube running up the middle and 2x2 angle on each side of that.

The body is VERY flexible!! I leave the doors on when I remove or install the body, it helps some. I also use a couple of other people to help me. The body is a little wider than normal because there are no heater chanels (rusted away). I welded a 1.5x2 square tube the lenght of the body to help sturdy it up. Other body mounts will be made by the windsheild, behind the door and in the back. I will post more pics soon.


The frame started as a class 11... I just didn't follow the assy. directions :lol:



As for the avionics... I worked at Pratt & Whitney once apon a time as a certified welder.
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Nice car, nice work.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Brian, what are you doing for seats and how big is the fuel cell?
Post Reply