Page 1 of 11
lets see those dashs!
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:09 am
by fusername
yeap, thats it. I want to see how you guys have set up yours, and who has access to way too much milling equipment. I am talking to whoever it was that has the lables etched into the sheet metal on thier baja.
I think I will leave all my switchs unlabled, cause its mine and i know how to work it.
let the bragging begin!
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:52 am
by Skidmark
hahaha yeah... I had to deal with the hole the PO cut. The PO (previous owner) torch cut the whole dash area out of the car and sent the front cage tubes through the opening. I was stressing over coming up with a way for the dash to get sealed up... then I decided to make it a permanent converible and forget about the air leaks through the dash. There are two Dzus fasteners in the lower corners, and I made small 90 degree brackets that I welded across the top "brow" of the steel dash. I have small allen head screws holding the top edge of the dash panel in, and the same screws holding the top bezel on.
Finished product

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:13 pm
by CopperBaja
Still a work in progress....

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:00 pm
by wayneweir
Before:

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:26 pm
by Getrdone
This is a custom dash! Not a single functional gauge.

Smooth as a babies butt. Decided today a radio is going in the middle. Hard to find just a radio nowadays. CD players never make it back from the first trip working right.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:25 pm
by vin
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 am
by CopperBaja
vin wrote:
vin,
I like the console! Did you fab that or buy it somewhere? Does it open?
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:12 am
by 72bajaben
hey copper wait until you see the one that im going to make.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:14 am
by CopperBaja
72bajaben wrote:hey copper wait until you see the one that im going to make.

Ben, I think you have a longer list of to-do's than me!

...but at least you can drive yours....

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 am
by 72bajaben
yea i know i have more to-do's, but who doesnt.... lol when are you going to start your up?
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 pm
by CopperBaja
Looks like I've hit a wall, installing the alternator. I need to find or tap the studs for the alternator and it sounds like I need a alternator stand as well.
The smallest studs Autozone carries is 10mm. I'm told I need 6mm.
So...soon as I find time, on a day that the VW shop is open.
(I learned this weekend that all the VW shops are closed on Sundays.)
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:41 pm
by Skidmark
If you know how long the bolts are, just call this company - the will ship it same day. Might cost a bit more, but you will get what you ordered in a day or two.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 pm
by CopperBaja
From the looks of it, I think they are tap-in studs.
Going to try to hit Vee Parts on Saturday morning.
edit** although I am bookmarking that site for future use...

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:20 pm
by mike@crosbys
yes the generator stand is different from the alternator stand. A generator will fit an alternator stand but not vice versa
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:20 pm
by nukeworker