Trey's 60 baja build thread

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Trey's 60 baja build thread

Post by vwtrey »

I figure the right thing to do here is to start a build thread. This way, I dont end up with 1600 different threads going at once. I will try to take as many pictures as I can, but its hard for me to do at times. Once I get going, I dont want to stop!

The car is a 60 sunroof bug. Sold this car a few years ago, did some horse trading after seeing it on another vw site for sale. Got it back, and decided to do a baja. I only get to work on this car on saturdays. I keep it at my inlaws place. They have more room than I do, and better equipment. I have a feeling this is going to be a SLOW build. Money is about to become scarce, and I will have to make as many parts as I possibly can.

Heres the plan...

6" wider front beam.
10" front shocks from FOA
One piece fiberglass front end.
3x3 rear arms
12" rear shocks from FOA
1600cc engine
bus trans(might be a bug irs for now)
930 cv's
and many other things to come

Has to be street legal!!

I will try to keep as many pictures up as i can. I honestly dont know my server limit! If i run out of room, then ill look into a free photo host.

If the moderators want to lock/delete my other threads, that would be fine. sorry for not doing this earlier!


here is what I am starting with...

Image
Last edited by vwtrey on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

a few hours later, I ended up with this. I pulled that wing off, and changed wheels/tires. Looks better already!

Image
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

You going with 930 CV's ? BTW where the heck are the hills and trees, that is some flat ground ya got there.
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

and if anyone can offer me advice on taking pictures, id appreciate that!

the second picture was taken inside with the lights on, and it came out dark. anything i can do to stop that??
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

Leatherneck wrote:You going with 930 CV's ? BTW where the heck are the hills and trees, that is some flat ground ya got there.
yep, 930 cv's. the hills and trees are about 2 hours away. give or take.

but imagine how fun it would be to just take off across a field like that. the inlaws own a few thousand acres, so i plan on doing it at least once!
User avatar
Motochris
Posts: 739
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:16 pm

Post by Motochris »

Must be a cotton farm, going by the white stuff on the ground. We don't see white stuff on the ground around here. It's 80 today.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

vwtrey wrote:and if anyone can offer me advice on taking pictures, id appreciate that!

the second picture was taken inside with the lights on, and it came out dark. anything i can do to stop that??
turn the flash off on your camera. The "auto" feature on most digital cameras arent great. if its bright enough not to need the flash, turn it off because the camera usually wont unless its very bright.

good luck with the build we are all here to help.
I think i might be going with FOAs as well. But the bilstein 5150's are 99 from ORW so im kind of torn.
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

the white stuff...its a bird poop storage facility. gets pretty deep this time of year.

ill try to turn the flash off. i have a hard time figuring that out on this camera for some reason. even when its off, it comes on. i dont know. if you try to put your finger over it, that doesnt work at all.

as far as bilstein 5150's. in my opinion, i would try to go witha shock that is rebuildable/revalveable. that is totally up to you though.
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

six in wider front beam!

Image

Image

Image
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

cage is in. had to cut 2 1/4 inches off the lower part of the front legs. sunroof was causing problems there. other than that, the cage fit pretty good. i was please with the results, espeically after reading the problems others had!

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by vwtrey on Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

here you can see my beautiful face!

Image
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

when you cut your front end for a one piece, DONT do this. i didnt do this. leave a little meat on there!

Image
User avatar
runslikeapenguin
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Post by runslikeapenguin »

the cage went in well because you bought the right one
User avatar
reckedher
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:19 pm

Post by reckedher »

nice job so far.hey i have been intrested in those FOA shocks,do they look and feel like a quality shock?are you going coilover? what color did they come in?were there choices?what sizes did you get?have you driven them yet?keep up the good work.
thanks
vwtrey
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Post by vwtrey »

runslikeapenguin wrote:the cage went in well because you bought the right one
as in, got lucky?

redhedher, i dont have the shocks yet. I wont be going with coilovers. I wish I could though, just a matter of money. FOA is doing some changes to the shocks right now, and when they are ready, I will order them. I'll let you know when they get here.
Post Reply