Page 1 of 1

no spark

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 am
by volky68
I just replaced the generator with an alternator on my 68 bug and when I try to start it it turns over but doesn't start.

Battery is new, I have checked the voltage to the B+ terminal on the alternator and everthing looks good. I checked the voltage coming into the + terminal on the coil when the ignition is on and it's hot.

I pulled the #3 spark plug wire and tested it to see if I had a spark, but no dice. I double cehcked all my wiring to make sure I had no loose wires and everything checked out ok.

What should I check next?

Could it be the coil?

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:36 pm
by MedicTed
You have power to the coil, but what about the ground side? It almost sounds like you lost the ground to the coil.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 pm
by Speedy Jim
Look on my web site for:
"Why won't my engine start?"
Scroll down to "No Spark" section for a step-by-step.
Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/


The wiring for the Coil should look like this:

Image