move back the shifter

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
User avatar
caslor
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:15 am

move back the shifter

Post by caslor »

does any one know where can i find details to move the shifter back.. as i will move nad the seats back (2 seat spor car project)

any site with details? pictures will be very helpfull

thanks
User avatar
JiI
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:19 pm

Post by JiI »

Figure where you want to put the shifter. Measure the differance in distance. This is how much you'll want to remove from the shift rod. Cut the shifter location out and cut a new hole where you want it to go. Cap the old location, weld in the shifter where you want it. Get the shift rod installed. DONE!
JiI
bim55_01747
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:01 am

Move shifter

Post by bim55_01747 »

Measure twice, cut once, just as described above. Draw a box around the shifter and an identical box where you want to place the shifter, cut, swap the pieces and weld. Probably 3-4 inches can be gained without having to shorten the e-brake handle? And cut the same out of the tube and keep the alignment when it's put back together.

I have a photo posted on of how I did it once.

http://www.geocities.com/bim55_01747/speedster.html

Hope this helps.

Boston Bob E.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

You need to cut the shifter hole long enougt to take the shifter tube bushing with the moved piece. It could be advisable to make an adjustable shift rod too.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
dragvw2180
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Post by dragvw2180 »

Hey all,
What I have done on my kit car and all my race cars is use what is called a buggy shifter box with the black neoprene bolt in bushing. I locate the box where it is comfortable for third gear when I am sitting in the seat,mark the tunnel,cut out the hole,drop the box into the hole flush with top of tunnel,weld it into place. I take the shift rod and shorten it as much as I moved it backward and use a weld in adjuster on the shifter tube. This way you can adjust your shifter forward or backward,plus side to side for perfect shifts. If you are interested I will look up the part numbers for the parts. Mike
Post Reply