Page 1 of 2

Ecotec fit in bug pics...

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:40 pm
by Plasticfantastic
This is a rough mock-up just to show how big the Eco is and how much modifying you will have to do.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:07 pm
by MikeVW
Are you going to use the deck lid and cut it up or fabricate something else? Any concern about mounting it to just the transmission as far as stress goes or are you going to brace it in the back too? I bet it will wheel stand real good with slicks :D

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:32 pm
by Plasticfantastic
I don't think there's any way to use a stock decklid unless you built a huge hump in it. I'm not really sure yet how I'll handle it. I love the look of those pro drag cars with the back end all boxed out but thats not really the style of car I am planning.
DEFINATELY needs a rear brace of some sort. Waaayy too much torque and a little too much weight hangin' out back there. Mine will be tied into the roll cage but you would at least need something along the lines of one of those sqaure tube/threaded rod deals.


Jeff-

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:40 am
by bt2020
Thanks for the picts Jeff. I noticed that you hade to cut the firewall. I received my adaptor from KEP yesterday. Will soon be buying an engine to mock up my Ghia.

Paul

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:12 pm
by Plasticfantastic
Good luck Paul, add some pics when you get it mocked in there!


Jeff-

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:46 pm
by Mikey 1972GL
Yeah I'd love to see some mock up pictures too. :D

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:03 pm
by bt2020
Jeff, I took your idea and cut the firewall to mock the Eco Ghia.
I will fabricate a piece to weld back where I cut.

Thinking about what to do with the deck lid. I will not close all the way.

Here are a few pictures.


Paul

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:08 pm
by Plasticfantastic
It looks like the decklid is double skinned? How much space can you get by cutting a section out of the inner skin right where it hits the valvecover? Combine that with maybe just a small sheetmetal hump on the outside and you could stay stockish looking.

Jeff-

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:52 pm
by SuperRSi
On the bug, why not english wheel a big bump like Dr. Porsche did on his convert to cover the supercharger? Kind of a tribute to Doc...

Thanks,
Randy

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:35 am
by bt2020
The area that I would need to cut is not double skinned. I need at least a 2.5 " clearance in the rear.

I would love to keep is stockished.

Paul

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:03 pm
by Gerrelt
I've never done it myself, but, did you consider moving the tranny forward? If you use the old style tranny support, you can reverse it, and that will move the tranny forward a little bit. There's more involved than just that, but there are people on the http://www.aussieveedubbers.com forum that can tell you how to do it.

Greetings,
Gerrelt.

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:01 pm
by badphish7602
I'm lucky as I'm putting my ecotec in a rail so none of the issues you guys are having with fitment but do have a few questions. What are you guyd doing for the cooling? It looks like there should be a way to eliminate the piece where all the little ports that i assume went to heater housing. I think turnkey actually makes something like that but they never responded to my email on prices on parts. Also what doing for engine managment. At this point I'm looking at going with the megasquirt with dis ignition from and obd 1 gm car.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 am
by TurboLark
Thought I'd post a few pics of where my Ecotec project is. :twisted:
Shortbloc-Wiseco pistons, eagle rods, main and head studs.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Oh yea...running a Megasquirt with OBD1 coils and module with plug wires.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:55 pm
by badphish7602
TurboLark nice setup. Did you make the water setup or is it turnkey one? what model is your ignition off of? Any other pics of the raill? Thanks for the pics

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:16 pm
by TurboLark
badphish7602 wrote:TurboLark nice setup. Did you make the water setup or is it turnkey one? what model is your ignition off of? Any other pics of the raill? Thanks for the pics
Water setup is from turnkey. You can see the entire buildup at the link in my sig. Answered the ignition in the other thread.