Page 1 of 1

Auto Trans Oil Pump

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:40 am
by Ghia Nut
I have an old auto trans pump in tact and in good working condition. If I do get to build a turbo 2.0l I was wondering if this would be a good choice for runing the oil to the turbo. Is there anything I should have done to it?
Thanks

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:51 pm
by mightymanx
I would not use it to run oil to the turbo they are usualy used to remove oil from the turbo (scavange) and return it on a low mounted turbo set up.

for supply use the oil pressure sender hole install a t-fitting (1/8 NPT from any hardware store works well) one to the turbo one for the sender.

I drain it to the 1/2 head just plumb it to the valve cover like a breather hole on the front (pulley side) and you should be good to go.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 pm
by Marc
There are three different Auto Stickpumps. One's for small-passage case/3-rivet cam, the other two are for large-passage case (3-rivet and 4-rivet). Better make sure yours is the right one for your project.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:20 pm
by Ghia Nut
Its from a 72 autostick ghia that I have just sitting around. I plan on using the blow through by cb (that hideaway setup).
Would this be aplicable?

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:54 pm
by mightymanx
That is what they are typicaly used for there were a coupple of threads awhile back that were done about. I am pretty shure MinamiKotaro runs this set up hopefully he will chime in on this or you can PM him.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:00 pm
by Marc
Ghia Nut wrote:Its from a 72 autostick ghia that I have just sitting around...
That one should be for large-passage case and four-rivet cam (the change came in mid`71)...all billet performance cams are three-rivet, to use that pump you'd need to have a stock 4-rivet cam reground.
Check the depth of the body against a known new standard pump - the 4-rivet P/N is 111 115 107BK, the 3-rivet is 107AK.

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:53 am
by 69bajakid
what do you do for "full flow" oiling when you run a autostick pump?

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:40 pm
by GS guy
69bajakid wrote:what do you do for "full flow" oiling when you run a autostick pump?
Machine a custom billet steel intermediate plate with outlet fitting for the oil to come out, then fit a longer gear shaft for the auto stick gear drive, running through a bronze bushing. I did one of these but never used it. Fitted to a Berg 26mm pump.

Send a pic or 2 if you want to see how it works/looks.

Jeff

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:45 pm
by 69bajakid
Yeah please do send a pic..
Post it or email me.. [email protected]

Sounds like a good idea for a multi stage OE style pump :)..i wish i did that to my CB turbo/EFI kit..

Cale

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:11 pm
by sideshow
69bajakid wrote:what do you do for "full flow" oiling when you run a autostick pump?
Or you can go way back and do the orginal method where you leave the pump alone. This might be handy since the auto stick pump is a little rare.
Image

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:43 am
by GS guy
I put a few pics up on my Yahoo photos pages:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/estreme1/ ... pg&.src=ph

3 pics of the pump.

In hindsight, I think modifying the case as shown above would be a much easier (and possibly better) way to get full flow with the auto-stick pump. On the modified pump, the plate that provides the FF outlet extends the pump out away from the block about 1/2" (or was it 3/4"?) or so. Not sure if this would cause interference with a CB exhaust system or turbo?

Jeff

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:09 am
by ourkid
I've just fitted a autostick pump on my set-up,after using a 12v pump for a while.It is from a 73 Ghia.(my turbo is low slung too).

Full flowing caused me major headaches for a while and the solution i came up with is still a bit of a compromise but i couldn't think of any other way of doing it because i had already assembled my case.
Luckily one thing i had done during strip down was to drill and tap both front passages.
My oil comes out of the top passage because i plugged it just downstream of where the oil pump outlet passage intersects it,using a 3/8 inch bsp plug,loctited in place.My plan was to then return it to the bottom passage but access was a bit tricky so i returned it underneath by making my own version of the return adaptors that screw into the oil pressure regulator hole.Unfortunately this means removing the spring and plunger so all the oil goes through the cooler all the time but because it's not an uprated pump i should be ok.

These return adaptors cost about £50 over here but i just tig welded a -6 fitting to the stock plug then drilled through. Ade