lockers and LSDs

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
manxiberty
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by manxiberty »

A couple of years back I started on this and installed a syncro locker into my Baja and was amazed at what it could do with average tyres and a stock 1600tp

Image

Image

I then did one into an 091 in my ej22 Subaru powered Manx
I made them both cable operated moving to a push/pull cable to engage and disengage
Works quite well with a switch to tell you when it's engaged...

Since installing it I have done more beach work then offroading/crawling/climbing but it's been a blast so far. I think it will enable me to go into far more stupid places as my Manx already went quite well fast or slow down most trails
Image

Image

Image

The biggest drama was coming up with a location to bore into the box casing for the actuator shaft and avoid everything, I managed to sneak it in between the ribs so I wasn't taking to much strength away also kept it up high above the oil level.

As far as strength goes.... Well I am a fraction of the weight of a syncro and I recently competed at a local drag racing event and it is still in one piece so I'm happy.... :lol:

You can't beat being able to lock it in and out.....
STEELART CREATIONS

Steelart.com.au

Start Something!!!

Crankykits.com.au
User avatar
fastback
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:01 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by fastback »

that's a nice mod!
the syncro diff looks pretty strong also.
dsc04758.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
manxiberty
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by manxiberty »

Yeah you can get them in either a 2 or 4 spider gear setup and there's no force on the actuator shaft whilst locked
STEELART CREATIONS

Steelart.com.au

Start Something!!!

Crankykits.com.au
User avatar
fastback
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:01 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by fastback »

arent all syncro lockers 4 spiders?
manxiberty
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by manxiberty »

negative......thats what i thought until pulling one out of a syncro front diff and found it was only two.....maybe they only made the fronts two spider as the weight is mainly over the rear? or this front diff was made on a friday....

anyway from what i found most of what came out of vw back in the day was syncros with rear lockers only...very few came out with front and rear so most lockers ones around the place will probably be 4 spider.....

its easy enough to add two short cross shafts, a couple of dish washers and add two more while its apart...

its a funny feeling whilst locked in with the buggy trying to fight you if you want to turn......you need to use your right foot and a bit of power rather then steer with the wheel.....but again its easy enough to just unlock it......

a mate had (for a very short time) a lockright diff in his buggy. brilliant offroad but it just about killed him on road as the buggy wasnt heavy enough for it to unlock to an open position and sent him straight rather then round a corner....
STEELART CREATIONS

Steelart.com.au

Start Something!!!

Crankykits.com.au
User avatar
fastback
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:01 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by fastback »

u are probably right abour the front diffs being 2 spiders.
do u know if spiders from a 2wd 094 diff can be used to convert it to 4 spider?
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by fusername »

damnit, I wanted to be the first person I knew of to do this mod! ah well, at least now I konw it can be done for sure. I was going to get my measurements off a syncrho case, build up the area w/ weld and then drill a hole in it for the actuator. Cable pull just like yours, not sure I will get so fancy as to put an indicator on it tho. Any pics of the machine work you did?"
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
manxiberty
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by manxiberty »

Revealing all of my secrets here :wink:

Image

Because I had to avoid the reverse gear on the diff side of the box I came back one rib (syncro has a cast section to strengthen the area) I also opted to machine in between two ribs rather then in the centre of one which defeats its purpose strength wise.

Image

The next problem is machining a hole into the case the at the required pcd means that the oring seal needs to be a quite complicated profile to follow the curve of the casing

After machining a hole on a corner you will find the boss will be able to rock on the hole...thus the step in the boss...the bigger diameter holds it steady

The spider gears should be the same as the 091 .... You will find that there are quite a few 091 part numbers in the 094

I also found that the biggest drama syncro owners have with the lockers seems to be seizing of the actuator shaft . Stock use an aluminium boss with a steel pin. I made both out of stainless and included a oil lip seal for protection against dirt and mud etc

I have pics of the hole in the casing if you want.... It took commitment to machine the casing not knowing if it would work

But well worth it......

As for you being the first :lol: sorry...not sure if I'm the first but it was worth the effort

Diff lock in....diff lock out...diff lock in ....diff lock out :lol:
STEELART CREATIONS

Steelart.com.au

Start Something!!!

Crankykits.com.au
manxiberty
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:32 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by manxiberty »

view of a syncro casing - notice the centreline of the hole is on the rib

Image

machined 091 casing

Image

avoiding the rev gear as the 094 has a different internal setup and the reason they can put their hole for the actuator shaft further towards the gearset end of the box

Image

the machined hole

Image

Image
STEELART CREATIONS

Steelart.com.au

Start Something!!!

Crankykits.com.au
User avatar
fastback
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:01 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by fastback »

great
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by fusername »

cool, I didn't realize the reverse was in a different place in there. there wil be a lot of mockup to build this, and I finally found someone w/ all the VW tools to put in my huge RP, then I can work on this mod to make the ultimate transmission. shame I'll be too old to drive by the time I pull it off. I plan on building up the area w/ aluminum first, then maching it down. I have heard of the seizing issue as well, and was thinking pressing in a bronze bushing for the actuator to ride on instead of aluminium. Cable operated of course, vacuum is for the birds.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
buggy man
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by buggy man »

User avatar
Pablo2
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by Pablo2 »

Despite the claims, those who have tried them in the Porsche community find them to function exactly like a Quaife TBD. Locking function is lost when one drive wheel gets light, so it isn't really an LSD.
(Sounds like Andy's needs to get a clue on application. "Fits '50-'79 Bug"?)
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
User avatar
dangerous
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:35 am

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by dangerous »

I see that Weddle are advertising a TBD with the locking function.
http://www.weddleindustries.com/product ... ferentials

This may be an option for the off road guys.
User avatar
Pablo2
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: lockers and LSDs

Post by Pablo2 »

Unfortunately, designing the full locking feature into the 091/094 TBD diminishes the progressive locking feature. This is because planetary gear surface area is sacrificed. (Just learned this a couple weeks ago from Daryl, who installs more of these than anyone.)
aka Pablo, gears, Geary
9.36 @ 146 in '86
Post Reply