My 72 Bug

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
User avatar
Lew
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by Lew »

Glad I am not in the race with Doc and David. Maybe later at the track. :lol:

I am just about finished with the undercoating then up on horses for the final body work inside and out. The hardest part of undercoating is the prep work. It's gotta be clean. As mentioned earlier, I pressure washed first, then did some sand blasting, washed down with the purple stuff (degreaser) from Wal mart, and sprayed on the good stuff.

Here is a delay that came into play. When I removed the body from the chassis, all nine bolts on the pasenger side came out smoothly. On the drivers side all came out OK except the last bolt, and it broke off. Murf's Law! "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong". Since I had the body laid over, it was a good time to tackle removing the bolt. I spent a half day removing this 8 MM bolt. At first I thought about just leaving it, but it would have haunted me leaving it in. What frustrated me was, I drilled the smallest hole all the way through the center of bolt, (lucky there) and continued to use larger drill bits until I got my easy out in place. No luck even using heat. Finally I decided to and use the closest drill bit to the bolt size and drill through. If I ruined the threads so be it. The inserts don't have enough meat to drill out and re-tap. Was I lucky my efforts were a success. The last of the threads came right out, and the insert threads were untouched. I thought it would be a good idea to chase all the inserts, including the fender inserts. I had no luck checking with NAPA, Autozone, and Advanced Auto for a tap. I finally found a 8 x 125 tap in town at a Fastner Company.
All my bolts now go in just using my fingers. :D


Image
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by david58 »

It is about time you did something to that poor ole bug. :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Lew
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by Lew »

This AM I jumped inside the car were it was nice and hot, at least I was in the shade. :roll: I started removing the headliner clips on the door post and those above the door. Using some pliers I bent the tabs on the door post back and forth till they broke off clean. My flap disc removed the small edges that were left. On the top I was able to remove the strip by using a piece of wood I cut at a angle and placing it next to the clip and pulling against the wood with my channel locks snapping the strip from the spot welds. The strip came off nice and clean. :D Without the wood you will bend up the surface metal. The pressure against the wood distributes the forces over a larger area preventing the metal from caving in.
I will touch up the spot welds with the flap disc and be ready for a little surfacing compound, some sanding, then primer. :D
Headliner clips removed.JPG
spot welds from headliner clips.JPG
This is the look I will have when all done. :)

Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by david58 »

I didn't know you were getting a rag top. :shock:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
jaywiz1977
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by jaywiz1977 »

The bug looks good,and it's great seeing whats ahead of me(as i have to do the same to the 68.Ilove the carpet on the ceiling and definatly will be using the idea on it as i think the bug headliners look tacky.Keep up the good work lew!!
User avatar
rostigbug
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by rostigbug »

I am building a '61 VolksRod W/ 6.5 inch chop.
I had to widen the roof about 3.5 inches. I was wondering what to do for a headliner because the stock headliner & bows are now 3.5 inches too narrow.
I will do what you have done. Thanks for posting pictures.
tim "FISH" fisher
Maxx-Pro FSR
camp Stone, Afghanistan
Wine improves with age
the older I get the more I like it
User avatar
Lew
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by Lew »

User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by david58 »

Lew came by my shop with his engine hood and we filled a couple of holes.



Image

Image

Image



Image
Last edited by david58 on Thu May 27, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by Lotrat »

I hope you paid him... It's hard to find customers willing to do their own work.
User avatar
harryset
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by harryset »

Hey Lew! It's been a while, need to see some updates. :)
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by david58 »

harryset wrote:Hey Lew! It's been a while, need to see some updates. :)
I will second that.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Lew
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by Lew »

No updates! I have put all the Body work on hold due to the car body being outside in the sun. There is no way I can work in this heat when the index is above 100+. As for the chassis, it's done. I hope to get started back when things cool off. This morning at 5:30 the temperature was 82 and the heat index was 89. At 10:30 AM it's 86 with a heat index moving above 96. :( I am not looking forward to August!
User avatar
harryset
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by harryset »

I hear ya Lew. I don't mind heat so much, but heat and humidity wipes me out. When it gets over 80 up here, me and the dog work in front of the big shop fan. I've only been getting some of the piddlin' stuff done. Wife wants me to go out and grub up three or four stumps :shock: . . . ain't happening. :)
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by david58 »

We need a update on this car immediately. :D Don't make me get in my car and cross that bridge. :lol:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
harryset
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: My 72 Bug

Post by harryset »

:shock: NOT "THE BRIDGE"!!
'72 Standard
"I am the proud owner of a "Hoover Bit".

185 60's, EMPI disc kit, EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles on the front.
185 65's and stock binders on the back.
SecondSkin - Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro for sound control.
Post Reply