RyanB's Baja - popping/backfire under load
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Hehe. Yea. Still kicking. The Baja STILL has that annoying leak. however I can jump in it and drive it right now if I wanted. I'll probably hold off on putting the 2.3 turbo in until late sept as I want to drive the card to my local VW clubs anual Beach run. And I dont think I'll have it running with the 2.3 by that time.
As mentioned in the other thread, I at least have room to work on the car in the garage now.
On a side note. Looking back I am a bit dismayed at how much I invested into the Buggy and the rail. Literally thousands of dollars. I have a credit card that I'll be paying off for some time. So, due to that I've been real hesitant to dive into big projects. Lucky though the turbo swap I have most everything. I know the guy in Newberg (just 15 min from me!) thinks I am a flake. lol. I keep telling him I'll buy it and thn get sidetracked on a weekend and space out and forget to go get it. Uhg! lol.
As mentioned in the other thread, I at least have room to work on the car in the garage now.
On a side note. Looking back I am a bit dismayed at how much I invested into the Buggy and the rail. Literally thousands of dollars. I have a credit card that I'll be paying off for some time. So, due to that I've been real hesitant to dive into big projects. Lucky though the turbo swap I have most everything. I know the guy in Newberg (just 15 min from me!) thinks I am a flake. lol. I keep telling him I'll buy it and thn get sidetracked on a weekend and space out and forget to go get it. Uhg! lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952
R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952
R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Trying once again to move forward.
Wow... I've really not done much in a long time have I? Well, I need to make room for a 1 seater Rail that I want to put together. So I need this out of my Garage. I took out the VW motor today and went to put in the Ford motor. The motor hits the firewall. I've not seen anything about this before. It's not a big deal because I was goign to be removing that anyhow, but it was surprising. Now I have to cut it out before I can finish putting the motor in.
Camera is broke so wont have pics for a few days.
Camera is broke so wont have pics for a few days.
- Skidmark
- Posts: 3509
- Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Trying once again to move forward.
I think the Ecotechs need firewall trimming as well, so I am not surprised. Looking forward to seeing the pics!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)
It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)
It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Trying once again to move forward.
Trying to follow the wiring diagram provided by Blind Chicken Racing... Apparently you eliminate the "Integrated Controller"... Yeesh, it's got me worried but I'll leave enough wire to wire it back in if needed. Wiring Harnesses sure can be confusing.
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Trying once again to move forward.
Woohooo! We have spark! I've been very worried that I would screw something up and not have any spark. There wasnt much point in pushing forward if that was the case. Now, time to work out the fuel delivery and get the turbo back on and all the water and oil lines routed properly. Need to find an intercooler as well. Once I have those things then get started on the Radiator placement. I am stoked! This is an old project and suddenly I am wondering why I havent been working on it more...
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Trying once again to move forward.
Isn't that always the way it is?
Heading down to the dune at the end of the week. When are you going down next?
Lee
Heading down to the dune at the end of the week. When are you going down next?
Lee
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Trying once again to move forward.
Hiya Lee! We are headed to Florence for this long weekend. We havent been there yet so really looking forward to it!
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
And it came to life! A little bit of Ether and getting the firing order correct and for the 1st time ever I heard her fire up. I only let it run a couple seconds because I dont have the coolant system even started. There are a couple of items that I dont currently have that the diagram from Blind Chicken Racing showed. I'll have to investigate if they are really needed. One of them is a turbo control so I am sure I need that. I got the fuel system up and running as well. I am using a fuel pump from my FI 2.0 Bus motor. No idea if it will work but we will find out.
To do List:
Begin Fabricating mounts for radiator and coolant system.
Find intercooler and setup/install
Work out Mount for VANE and get all weather airfilter for intake.
Find header for turbo Exhaust, preferably with O2 bung.
A ton of other stuff as well but these are the highest on the list.
To do List:
Begin Fabricating mounts for radiator and coolant system.
Find intercooler and setup/install
Work out Mount for VANE and get all weather airfilter for intake.
Find header for turbo Exhaust, preferably with O2 bung.
A ton of other stuff as well but these are the highest on the list.
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
Turbo's are controlled by the heat and pressure that the exhaust makes. I know of no turbo that is electronically controlled, just mechanically controlled. I am puzzled by
There are a couple of items that I dont currently have that the diagram from Blind Chicken Racing showed. I'll have to investigate if they are really needed. One of them is a turbo control so I am sure I need that.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
Hi Ryan, we will be at the old stand by, Coos Bay/North Bend. Florence was fun but we haven't been there in over ten years. Might have to tow there again some day. Got to do Winchester Bay first.
Lee
Lee
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
david58 wrote:Turbo's are controlled by the heat and pressure that the exhaust makes. I know of no turbo that is electronically controlled, just mechanically controlled. I am puzzled byThere are a couple of items that I dont currently have that the diagram from Blind Chicken Racing showed. I'll have to investigate if they are really needed. One of them is a turbo control so I am sure I need that.
Sorry, I had forgotten the name. Look at the following diagram. It is called a "Boost Control Solenoid".
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... wiring.jpg
I also do not have a Cooling Fan Controller.
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
Here are a couple pics so far. See the 3rd pic. That green hose under the turbo.. My only guess is it goes to the turbo but I cant find where. The turbo has 3 hoses/tubes going to it. 2 are oil and one is water. So it only stands to reason there should be one more water however it just doesn't have another connection that I see. What am I missing here...






- ntsqd
- Posts: 2291
- Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
Really old hardware, but some of what I work on:david58 wrote:Turbo's are controlled by the heat and pressure that the exhaust makes. I know of no turbo that is electronically controlled, just mechanically controlled. I am puzzled byThere are a couple of items that I dont currently have that the diagram from Blind Chicken Racing showed. I'll have to investigate if they are really needed. One of them is a turbo control so I am sure I need that.
http://www.propulsiontech.com/turbo.html
No, I can't get you one. I can't get me one either.
Ryan, the water cooled bearing housings are really only to control thermal soaking resulting from a hot shut-down. Like if you came blazing into camp under full boost, and shut it off immediately. The biggest problem with such a shut-down is coking of the oil in the turbine bearing. You don't absolutely need to have the coolant lines hooked up, particularly if you allow the engine to idle for a couple minutes or more every time before you shut it off. Oil in and out, yes. Coolant, no.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
Thanks ntsqd! Thats neet lookin turbo stuff. So, every ford turbo i had looked at had the return coolant line on the outside. I finally found the return on the inside (towards the engine) right underneath the inlet port.
Still sourcing a header to hold the O2 sensor and still need to track down the turbo control solenoid and where it goes. Does the vaccuum controled part of the turbo just go to the regular intake manifold vaccuum?
Still sourcing a header to hold the O2 sensor and still need to track down the turbo control solenoid and where it goes. Does the vaccuum controled part of the turbo just go to the regular intake manifold vaccuum?
- takotruckin
- Posts: 3774
- Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm
Re: RyanB's Baja Project - Motor in, We have spark!
david58 wrote:Turbo's are controlled by the heat and pressure that the exhaust makes. I know of no turbo that is electronically controlled, just mechanically controlled. I am puzzled byThere are a couple of items that I dont currently have that the diagram from Blind Chicken Racing showed. I'll have to investigate if they are really needed. One of them is a turbo control so I am sure I need that.
David, FYI, all the newer diesels use variable geometry turbochargers that control the aspect ratio of the turbo, allowing it to make max boost throughout the RPM range and eliminate turbo lag. They are electronically controlled and hydraulically actuated
Ryan, the vacuum line on the turbo should go to the boost control solenoid I beleive. And then the other port on the solenoid should go to manifold vacuum.
Last edited by takotruckin on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.