'71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

schming wrote:Nice job on the coolant manifold and the CDH.
Thanks! Back at ya! Yours looks great too.
schming wrote:Is there another choice for the LSD that wouldn't require all the prep work ?
I'm curious how accurate, in R&P tolerances measured in thousanths of an inch, are the OBX's ?
KR250 wrote:Thanks for the tip on the OBX LSD fitment issue. I had considered it but after reading about your trouble with it, will definitely go with the Cusco LSD.
Based on the info that I got from Todd, the helical gear type LSD (NOT clutch pack, Cusco is a clutch pack type) are the proper type to use in our application. Mostly due to the weight difference in our vehicles versus the stock Subaru weight and the different way we are installing the transmission. I think Todd said he had a customer that put a clutch type in a car and it just didn't act properly.

So that leaves (Torque Biased Diffs):

OBX - $450
Subaru Factory Torsen- not sure on price (if you can find one)
Quaife - $1,200
MFactory - $700 (just found this one! Wish I would have found this one!!! :roll: )
I'm sure there are others

As for tolerances, I can't answer. It should be round since it has to be a lathe turned item and so the mounting face for the ring should be perpendicular so that should be ok. Those are the only two items that you need for the r/p tolerance (someone correct me if I'm all messed up). All the other tolerances (gear mesh) are adjusted by the install process with the bearing adjusters and verified with gear marking grease.

Also, take my rant with a grain of salt. Semarag didn't have the problems I did. I'm probably being hyper-critical. Although, I wish I would have found that MFactory one before buying this one. The honest truth is I wasn't even going to put a LSD in, but "for an extra $450" why not...

I would love to have a Quaife but that's a lot of money for something that really only "works" when you go around corners. The rest of the time the whole thing just spins....
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
schming
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:23 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by schming »

Here's a site I happened upon while researching Cusco.
A lot of info on the differences between LSD's.
Any thoughts on the Wavetrac ?

http://www.limited-slip.com/acatalog/Ho ... Works.html
User avatar
ttriebler
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:51 am

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ttriebler »

Nice update Ambryn. 7 hours on the nosecone - are you crazy? I did 8 in 3 hours. Probably not as bling as yours....but I have had some practise......

When we did our first test buggy (full pan buggy with EJ25 quad cam) I tried out the Subaru STi torsen LSD, the OBX Torsen LSD and one of the Japanese Clutch-pack LSD's. The clutch pack one was terrible - it really engaged and disengaged sharply and a few times upset the balance of the car, particularly on braking going into turns. We tried it on bitumen and on sand and took it out after a week. The Factory Subaru STi one was awesome (perfect) but over $1,000 if you can find one.

The OBX one performed just as well as the STi one, even though the machining quality is nowhere near as nice as you'd like it to be . But for $450...!!! We have fitted over 10 of these and only came across one that had a bit of rounout (not true). So it meant when we assembled the ring and pinion we couldn't get a consistent backlash or mesh pattern. So it had to come out and get trued up on a lathe with a diamond tip. Just needed the tiniest facing at it was good. That has gone well for 12 months now.

So as in all things....you get what you pay for. Pay attention to the details and you will be OK.
Image
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

schming wrote:Any thoughts on the Wavetrac ?
They look very nice, but I don't think they make one for the Subaru.
ttriebler wrote:We have fitted over 10 of these and only came across one that had a bit of rounout (not true).
That's interesting, I was just thinking about having it checked (v-blocks and a indicator, should be easy).

Yeah, yeah...I know I'm slow :roll: I'm sure I could do the next one faster :D
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 am

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by RonW »

ambrynmc wrote:
Yeah, yeah...I know I'm slow :roll: I'm sure I could do the next one faster :D

you said it, i didnt. when should i bring it over? ;)
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
KR250
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 am

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by KR250 »

Once again, thanks for the info and saving me from making an expensive mistake! Some more decisions to make.
ambrynmc wrote: Based on the info that I got from Todd, the helical gear type LSD (NOT clutch pack, Cusco is a clutch pack type) are the proper type to use in our application. Mostly due to the weight difference in our vehicles versus the stock Subaru weight and the different way we are installing the transmission. I think Todd said he had a customer that put a clutch type in a car and it just didn't act properly.

So that leaves (Torque Biased Diffs):

OBX - $450
Subaru Factory Torsen- not sure on price (if you can find one)
Quaife - $1,200
MFactory - $700 (just found this one! Wish I would have found this one!!! :roll: )
I'm sure there are others
Iguana
Posts: 991
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by Iguana »

ambrynmc wrote:Hey guys! So I've been really bad about updating the thread... :oops:

First the good stuff! I've finally got the tig welder setup and operating. I bought it a while ago and had to get a new torch, a foot pedal, and a gas bottle...etc, etc...good news is it works and I'm not as bad as I remember!

Here is my first shot at re-directing my coolant crossover towards the back of the motor.

Image

Too sharp of a 90 (thanks Ron... :D )

Here it is now all welded up

Image
Any reason you didn't just flip the entire manifold around ? Or can't you do that on the later EJ's like you can on the earlier ones ?
Buy a Kit, Build a Dream
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

I'm running tubing at the outside edge of the pan on both sides and the water pump feeds to the passenger side so this one needs to stay over on the drivers side. I just figured it would be cleaner this way (obviously not easier...)
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

So time for an update, I've been slacking.

I put the gear marking compound on the ring gear...
Image

Put the trans back together...
Image

Sure is pretty...
Image

Unfortunately, I have to order shims.... :oops:

Image

Gears marks need to be closer to the inside circle of the ring gear (verified with Todd just to make sure). Shims are only $1.54 a piece, I ordered 3 different ones just in case.
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

Then decided to start figuring out the wiring harness...yuck (thanks RonW :shock: )

Image

I marked out all the plugs and found I was missing a main relay and fuel pump controller. Ordered the fuel pump controller off eBay. May just use a normal relay for the main.

Also opened up my fuel tank and cut up my donor EFI tank (Toyota 4runner)

Image

Have to fit the pump mounting ring and pump setup with baffle...looks like fun!
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

Oh yeah! Hot tip for you DIY transmission guys. Here is what you need to press your bearings on (pinion shaft and differential)...cost me $0.71 at the hardware store...

Image

You need just over 1 foot of SCH 40 1-1/2" PVC pipe (13"-14" works perfect for the pinion). I cut it nice and square with a miter saw.
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
User avatar
RonW
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 am

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by RonW »

aw yes, the joys of the wiring harness. its a pita but will be so nice to just plug it in and have a tune from the factory ready to go. at some point, you may want to order a Tactrix connector to plug into the obd2 port that connects to the laptop. they you can go into the rom and turn off all the stuff it thinks it should be looking for ie abs, stock fuel pump etc etc. then it wont constantly be throwing codes.
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
883
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by 883 »

ambrynmc wrote:Then decided to start figuring out the wiring harness...yuck (thanks RonW :shock: )

Image
Hey! that looks just like mine, identical condition too.

Have fun and post often, I'll be watching closely. :)
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
turboedbug
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:22 am

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by turboedbug »

Looking good buddy. Good luck with that wiring harness lol. I remember tearing into mine i had no clue where to start. I seen in another thread u are looking for a intercooler pump. What are your plans there? I am thinking of using a ford pump from an svt on my setup.
Turbo!
ambrynmc
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:04 pm

Re: '71 VW Bug truck w/Subi WRX eng/trans...Buga-Truckaru?

Post by ambrynmc »

Alright, so I have a confession...I've been slacking on the thread updates. As if you didn't already know... :oops:

Things have changed gears though, wife said I could rebuild the car if I sold off another project. So I said farewell to my Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. It needed to be completely rebuilt and let's face it I don't have the time OR the money to do both projects. I barely have time for this project...

Anyway, let me try to bring you guys up to speed!
turboedbug wrote:Looking good buddy. Good luck with that wiring harness lol. I remember tearing into mine i had no clue where to start. I seen in another thread u are looking for a intercooler pump. What are your plans there? I am thinking of using a ford pump from an svt on my setup.
Oops...realized you asked a question....pretty sure the Bosch pump is what they use on the Fords.

As for the wiring harness, I did split it into 3 "piles", the engine/ecu pile, the gauges/switches pile, and the don't use pile.

Engine/ecu pile is pretty clear, gauges/switches pile has a bunch of cool stuff that I plan to use like cruise control, Subi gauge cluster, turn/headlight/wiper switches. I ended up getting a steering column for $50 with all the switches and figured what-the-heck lets figure out how to use it!

Here's a pic of the don't use pile, surprising how much wire is in the Subi harness!

Image
Last edited by ambrynmc on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Truckaru (WRX eng/trans powered Domus flatbed bug-truck) - build thread
Post Reply