Page 6 of 26

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 pm
by Wally
Sorry, let me rephrase it: where does your question come from? Since you obviously already know what the general opinion is, why the question?

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:31 pm
by Kalle
Wally wrote:Sorry, let me rephrase it: where does your question come from? Since you obviously already know what the general opinion is, why the question?
I asked because I was curious about your mouse engine set up. Obviously I would not have asked seeing your reaction, sorry.

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:48 pm
by yvre
Congrats! :D

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:18 am
by Wally
Thanks Yvre :D
Drove the car 440km to and 440 from the event and the engine made 155 Wheel-hp and 174 crank-hp which won the contest:



Some pics from the Challenge dyno meet ('Bitchspeed Maikäfertreffen Warm-up party'):
http://www.pixum.de/viewalbum/id/6179392

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 am
by Dan Dryden
Congrats Wally! I'm very impressed with your results. Will this 1200cc motor be driving you to Spa in August? I'd Love to take a closer look. ;)

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:07 am
by Gunnar
Coooool, I love it.

As Kalle wrote, why closed loop?
I really like your work and want to hear your opinion. :D (if you don't want it in the open, I'd really like it in a PM, thanks.

Kalle just dumped a link to this thread in my project thread, and i must say you have inspired me, big time the last year, specially after starting my own '75 1303 project. And with this engine it is even closer to my aim.


Keep up the good work and the nice threads.

Gunnar

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 am
by 70dragbug
Congrats again from me too Wally! It was a lot of fun! Once those little hesitations are found I think there will be a few more horsepower available? It also ran incredibly cool I think.IIRC CHT was only about 120°-140° Celsius? Inside the car the little 1200 sounded more like a big type 1,pretty raspy,aggressive sound! The best thing is that we got to meet after all these years and have a few beers together! :D See you in Spa!

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 am
by Wally
Thanks Gunnar!
Cheers Mark!
Glad you felt it too as we drove around for warming up before the dyno. I think I even might have found the problem: the warm-up temperature sensor had 2 cracks each in the isolation of the wires...I think there has been an electrical connection of both wires now and then as the log also showed jumps in temp reading.
So I agree, there is some hp left on the table, also because the tune was extremely conservative in respect of the cast Mahle pistons.
BTW, CHT wasn't connected at the moment though ;-)
I already removed the engine and started on the assembly of the T4 today, so no T1 at Spa Dan as I want to chase a certain Race-taxi Bus with a twin-turbo 993 engine :twisted:

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:37 pm
by Dan Dryden
Wally wrote:I already removed the engine and started on the assembly of the T4 today, so no T1 at Spa Dan as I want to chase a certain Race-taxi Bus with a twin-turbo 993 engine :twisted:
:twisted: I know the one! It is going to be at a show local to me over the weekend of 18th-20th May. It's a new show based at a small race track. It looks a lot like a smaller version of Le Bug Show. Maybe some of you guys based in Europe would like to come over? It is a very short distance from the port of Dover. Around 20-30 minute drive. :D http://www.apexfestival.co.uk/event/Race-Taxi.html

Sorry to go off topic slightly. :oops:

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:24 pm
by andy198712
Amazing result!!

My daily is a 1200 bug and maybe when new made 34bhp, but to think your getting so much more, like 5 times more then stock!! Mental!

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am
by 70dragbug
A loose connection on the CLT/warm up could be a reason why it used more fuel also.I would have expected your AFR to be richer than what it was.But if there is a loose contact it makes sense that it hesitates during acceleration turning on and off?

From the youtube videos I´ve seen, that T1 taxi driver punches that thing pretty hard....you do have enough horsepower to beat him though! That´s a race I definetly want to see in person! 8)

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 am
by Wally
Nah, he has twice the road holding and driving capabilities then me, but its nice to have a goal ;-)

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:13 am
by AldoQ
Hi Wally
cam specs????
wow ,very nice car and engine, inspirational
best regrads

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:10 am
by Wally
Thanks! It had an FK-7 with 1.4 rockers at the Challenge.

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:17 am
by 70dragbug
...which made it sound pretty pissed off :D