Page 6 of 9
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 pm
by david58
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:01 am
by Lew
I know you are on a roll now since you dug up one of those cans of money you got buried.
I guess you think I should be too. Well, just to let you know, I have a low pain tolerance to the cold weather.
So, I have been doing not much of anything but staying warm and toasty. It's still where I left off, being that
the chassis is all done. I just to do a few tweaks on it here and there. The Body is on a roll around and as
soon as I can I am going to get started on it.
That beast you are building is coming along nicely.

I like what you did to the dash.
Keep up the good work David, and stay focused, be safe. Ya know crap happens!
When I get up near mile marker 90 I will skid in and see ya.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 am
by david58
I guess that excuse has been used countless times.

You know Lew they do make heaters that will make your garage nice and toasty.
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 pm
by Turbinepowered
Guys guys guys it is
not cold down here...

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:56 pm
by Qurtys Lyn
Why do you folk down south always complain about it being cold when it drops below 60?
It ain't cold until you're below 40°F.

And then you add in the 90+ Mph winds we're getting. You guys have it easy.
Note: I'll take the 90+ Mph Winds over the floods that SoCal is getting. I'm waiting to hear from our IT guy at our Dealerships down there still, he said he was taking the Jet Ski to work.

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:43 pm
by Lew
I started on my doors the other day by cleaning and lubricated the window regulators, plus I removed the vent window frames and the glass. The vent frames were bead blasted and primed with self etching primer. They are now ready for paint, seals and new window channel. Both doors were covered with a guide coat and block sanded. I only had the a couple small areas to skim over. The driver side door hindges had pushed up the outer door skin slightly. At one time it was sprung open causing the problem. I hammered both areas down and skimmed over lightly with filler. There was not much wrong with my doors.
HPIM1046.JPG
HPIM1049.JPG
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:52 pm
by Lew
I spent a part of the day using my pressure washer removing most of the soft undercoater on the fender wells. I had to use a putty knive on what was left and gasoline with wire brush to get the rest. I found only a small amout of surface rust. Nothing that my flap disc won't take care of. Once I get the fender wells prepaired, new bedliner undercoater will be sprayed on.
After using pressure washer.
HPIM1055.JPG
Final cleaning all done!
HPIM1057.JPG
Next will be a light sanding and then undercoater.

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:20 am
by david58
You stripped that baby down.

Nice work Lew now get busy and get her done.

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 pm
by Lew
I am now getting to work on the underside of the body, plus doing some more block sanding on the body. The Body is in excellent shape just a few low places here and there but nothing to big.
HPIM0154.JPG
Who needs a rotisserie! I can get to all the areas that need to be sandblasted. I plan on tilting the body over the other way to blast it. Then comes the undercoater. As you can see, I have a 2 x 8 lying on the pavement that supports the body. I very happy this is working out so far.
HPIM0163.JPG
HPIM0173.JPG
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm
by david58

That just don't look like no bug I ever seen.

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:00 am
by Lew
I removed the Charcoal Filter, the hoses and bracket from the fender well since I don't plan on using them. After removing the old undercoater and cleaning I found no rust. The original paint still is in good shape. I went over the area with sand paper and washed down with a degreaser so I can get good adhesion. I might add the undercoater can be painted, and most likely it will be the same color of the car if I decide to do so. Just not sure at this time.

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:09 am
by Lew
New Window Seals, Scrapers, Felt Channel, etc., coming tommorow from West Coast Metrics. I need a loan, anybody?

Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:13 pm
by david58
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 am
by Turbinepowered
You're a braver man than I, not even a glove on the forehand.
Of course, I'm the moron that has done arc welding in short sleeves... yeah, that was a bright idea...

Hellooooooooooo second degree burns from my wrists to my shoulders...
Re: My 72 Bug
Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:08 pm
by david58
Turbinepowered wrote:You're a braver man than I, not even a glove on the forehand.
Of course, I'm the moron that has done arc welding in short sleeves... yeah, that was a bright idea...

Hellooooooooooo second degree burns from my wrists to my shoulders...
What is really funny about being safety wise when welding and cutting is getting set on fire and smelling the smoke and looking a couple times to find out you shirt pocket is on fire and burning the money in your pocket. Yeah that happened to me this morning. I was cutting a trailer hitch off and didn't realize I was on fire until my chest got hot.

I turned off the torch after shedding my shirt, then grabbed the sawzall and finished cutting it off.