possible intake leaks
-
platform115
- Posts: 361
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am
- dstar
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
Well, the FIRST thing is to get that carb OFF!

Put the old one back on and change the oil and filter.
Take the carb to a nice quiet(yea right!) place to work on it and take
the top off.
Be carefull and you can reuse the gaskets. If you tear one, I'll mail a
replacement in the post for ya.
Anywho, you need to check and make sure the float isn't hung up on the side.
You will PROBABLY unhang it when you take it apart. That usually happens to me.
*I* install it back in the bus and turn on the pump and make SURE that
there isn't anymore leaking going on before I bolt the carb back on the
intake.
Hold the carb level in your hand and after the bowl fills up, you should
be able to hear the sound of the pump change.
If it doesn't, your hand is probably gonna get wet with gas.
What the hell did they do? Kick the damn box across the ROOM?
The swedged aluminum plug was leakin for gods sake!
This just makes me want to kick a UPS driver in the AZZ!
If it comes down to it, I'll meet you halfway on 95 and fix it myself,
say JR's Cigars, in Selma, NC?
BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Good luck! I'm headed home and you gots my NUMBA if you need me!
Don
Put the old one back on and change the oil and filter.
Take the carb to a nice quiet(yea right!) place to work on it and take
the top off.
Be carefull and you can reuse the gaskets. If you tear one, I'll mail a
replacement in the post for ya.
Anywho, you need to check and make sure the float isn't hung up on the side.
You will PROBABLY unhang it when you take it apart. That usually happens to me.
*I* install it back in the bus and turn on the pump and make SURE that
there isn't anymore leaking going on before I bolt the carb back on the
intake.
Hold the carb level in your hand and after the bowl fills up, you should
be able to hear the sound of the pump change.
If it doesn't, your hand is probably gonna get wet with gas.
What the hell did they do? Kick the damn box across the ROOM?
The swedged aluminum plug was leakin for gods sake!
This just makes me want to kick a UPS driver in the AZZ!
If it comes down to it, I'll meet you halfway on 95 and fix it myself,
say JR's Cigars, in Selma, NC?
Good luck! I'm headed home and you gots my NUMBA if you need me!
Don
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
-
platform115
- Posts: 361
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am
-
platform115
- Posts: 361
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am
Well, I change the oil/filter and cleaned up all the gas...
then I took the top of the carb off, and it doesn't look like anything was blocking the float from working...
I took the intake boots loose and when I turn the key on, and the pump activates gas drips out of the crack where the intake boots go...
No matter what I try it will not start....
gas leaks out of the carb from someplace I can't pinpoint...
It's like the gas is leaking out of the bowl whether it's full or not...
the float doesn;t seem to be hanging up.. I have pulled the top off and put it on about 6 or 7 times...
I don't get this...
then I took the top of the carb off, and it doesn't look like anything was blocking the float from working...
I took the intake boots loose and when I turn the key on, and the pump activates gas drips out of the crack where the intake boots go...
No matter what I try it will not start....
gas leaks out of the carb from someplace I can't pinpoint...
It's like the gas is leaking out of the bowl whether it's full or not...
the float doesn;t seem to be hanging up.. I have pulled the top off and put it on about 6 or 7 times...
I don't get this...
-
platform115
- Posts: 361
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
-
platform115
- Posts: 361
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am
I have no regulator, but my gauge holds pretty steady right above 3psi.
Ray, Yes! that does sound like what may be happening.. I need to figure out how to adjust the float level...
Also.. if I take the top of the carb off, and set it aside... with the bowl ~half full of fuel, a lot of the fuel will drain out after 10-15mins...
what does this mean? or is this normal?
Update:
I put the old carb back on, because at least I could get to work, but it still won't start.
Checked compression, and spark to plugs again, good fuel pressure, strong batt.
No intake leaks that I'm aware of, it was working a few days ago, and has not been adjusted at all...
Anyone got a good suggestion for me ??
Thanks
Ray, Yes! that does sound like what may be happening.. I need to figure out how to adjust the float level...
Also.. if I take the top of the carb off, and set it aside... with the bowl ~half full of fuel, a lot of the fuel will drain out after 10-15mins...
what does this mean? or is this normal?
Update:
I put the old carb back on, because at least I could get to work, but it still won't start.
Checked compression, and spark to plugs again, good fuel pressure, strong batt.
No intake leaks that I'm aware of, it was working a few days ago, and has not been adjusted at all...
Anyone got a good suggestion for me ??
Thanks
-
platform115
- Posts: 361
- Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:01 am
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
Stop!...drain the oil again....take the top from the oil breather, open the valve covers. Let it sit in a warm plac overnight....preferably with no pilot lights close by. Then, refill with oil, pull the plugs....and squirt some motor oil into the cylinders. Also it may be worth it to push a little into the valve guides. Then crank it over. Ray