Page 5 of 5
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:06 pm
by supaninja
Pile- I have a 091 laying around

I'm working a huge turn around so I can afford to have Rancho go through it, I want some taller gears and a LSD

Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:50 am
by fl_buggy
I have a 2.2 Ecotec in mine, and while I have an 091, I also am running VERY short tires (205/50-16). I was able to get 22mpg from mine, so yeah, I would say 20 should be easily attainable for him.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:10 am
by gearheadgreg
Coolness.
I've got an 091 in my '71, seems like the go-to box!
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:27 am
by supaninja
Greg, the 091 is the strongest box VW made. I definitely need taller gears, the 002 has the motor turning at 4400 when i'm cruising at 70 and 4100 at 65. I think i'll be fine cruising at 65 turning 3100. Does anyone know if swapping a 091 with a early 002 bellhousing will move the engine back?
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:35 am
by Steve Arndt
I have an 091 with 002 housing in my bug, and I have spare 091s. I could take a measurement or two.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:04 am
by Piledriver
The automatics are stronger than an 091.
(The tq converter takes a lot of the shock out of the system)
I don't know if the front trans mount setup is like my 73s, but I could bring the trans forward a couple inches if I trimmed the shifter rod to match.
I have been considering an automatic for strength reasons... AFAICT the only "choice" in the NA market would be 3.9 or 4.10 final drive in the T3/T4 cars, or 4.10 in a Vanagon transmission.
(Info pulled from "Without Guesswork" and various online sources, hard to get a simple yes/no when most of the sources don't differentiate between NA and European markets...)
According to the info I have found, all North American market FI T3s were 3.9 final, the 3.67 final was euro only dual carbs.
The 411/412s were all 4.10 AFAICT (Some 411s may have had the 3.9).
(if anyone can correct this, please do)
The Vanagon has a higher stall converter (~2500 RPM with an MV spinning it)
There is a custom tall R&P for the vanagon trans (for suby swaps etc) but it's cost makes a Subarugears setup look like a killer bargain.
Also considering a 901 swap, it's also as strong or stronger than an 091, except for first, and has many gearing options... Still expensive to implement any of those gearing options.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:57 am
by supaninja
Steve- that would be awesome!
Pyle- I'm going the KISS route on this plus I already have a 091 that I got from Russ Wolfe right before he passed away, it would be awesome to use it.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:43 am
by RonW
Love seeing the continue progress on this

.
What a small world, Russ was my uncle and as a kid visiting Iowa, I hung out with is son Mark. Talk about a huge stash of VW parts even 30 years ago.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:50 am
by Steve Arndt
Nick, remind me on face book tonight and I will try to get those measurements when I'm at my shop.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:52 pm
by supaninja
RonW wrote:Love seeing the continue progress on this

.
What a small world, Russ was my uncle and as a kid visiting Iowa, I hung out with is son Mark. Talk about a huge stash of VW parts even 30 years ago.
My condolences Ron, Russ is still sorely missed in the type 3 community. His stash of parts was insane, lots and lots of everything.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:01 pm
by supaninja
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:07 pm
by MarioVelotta
Nice
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:23 pm
by supaninja
Mario, do I have something wrong. MS Shadow Dash seems a bit glitchy, sometimes it works awesome, other times it drops out every 30 seconds, then other times it completely craps out. Is the app buggy?
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:07 pm
by MarioVelotta
supaninja wrote:Mario, do I have something wrong. MS Shadow Dash seems a bit glitchy, sometimes it works awesome, other times it drops out every 30 seconds, then other times it completely craps out. Is the app buggy?
Try MSDroid you can actually tune with it. Plus it will pull the GPS from you tablet and you can plot it on a google maps to show your trip
I haven't used Shadow dash in quite awhile. I don't get to drive my car much these days.
Re: '68 Westy and a K20a swap...I ain't right ;)
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 pm
by supaninja
I have been using msdroid too, i need to mess with the settings more, i want realtime speed too.