My Buggy (re)Build.
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
You guys crack me up. hehe. I wasnt ready to put in a 4 point belt system but the seats and where my current belt is mounted is kinda forcing me to.
That's a real bummer tuff. Uhg. I'd have loved to have them. I'll go down to the local vdub store here and see what they got. Discount Import Parts.
There is a guy on TheSamba that has a complete rear assembly for $200. Comes with Tranny, Torsion, Arms, Axels, Stubs and brakes! Wow. Seems like a great deal. I may buy this as a spare. heh.
That's a real bummer tuff. Uhg. I'd have loved to have them. I'll go down to the local vdub store here and see what they got. Discount Import Parts.
There is a guy on TheSamba that has a complete rear assembly for $200. Comes with Tranny, Torsion, Arms, Axels, Stubs and brakes! Wow. Seems like a great deal. I may buy this as a spare. heh.
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
- Crash
- Posts: 710
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:01 am
I wanna know how you even knew what that bottle was!
-Mark
-Mark
________________________________
Mark "Crash" Johnson
Blind Chicken Racing
www.blindchickenracing.com
Mark "Crash" Johnson
Blind Chicken Racing
www.blindchickenracing.com
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
RyanB wrote:Leatherneck,
Below are a couple pics. My replacement tranny has the "sleeve" while the original one does not. In the pics the replacement is next to the engine and the other is the original. I have the 3 finger clutch plate. So I need to remove the ring that is clipped on to those 3 fingers?
What happens on these is that a tranny without the sleeve has no guide so when the throw out bearing goes forward the ring on the clutch gives it a flat surface to mate to. If you did not have the ring the throw out bearing could hit it at an angle and get caught between or bounce off one of the fingers.
A later model tranny has a guide sleeve that guides the throw out bearing so it stays perpendicular to the Pressure plate so when it makes contact it cannot be at an angle.
Yes if you have a guide take off the adapter ring.
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
Seriously... The only thing I havent replaced on this thing is the damn engine, body and Pan...
So, I got the engine back in and took it for a test drive. Clutch MAJORLY slipping in 3rd gear and 4th. UHG!!!
Spent the weekend removing the engine, went to 6 differnt auto stores today since the VW place was closed. Found a clutch kit and got it all back together...
Took the family for a ride! w00h00! Finally got it back together. yay!
One issue though is the front end gets really squirrly above 40. Not sure what the deal is there.
So, I got the engine back in and took it for a test drive. Clutch MAJORLY slipping in 3rd gear and 4th. UHG!!!
Spent the weekend removing the engine, went to 6 differnt auto stores today since the VW place was closed. Found a clutch kit and got it all back together...
Took the family for a ride! w00h00! Finally got it back together. yay!
One issue though is the front end gets really squirrly above 40. Not sure what the deal is there.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
- RyanB
- Posts: 1466
- Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am
So the teardown begins...
Went to Sand Lake as most of you know over Labor day and really had a blast. However my wife is a speed demon... Along with that my paddles were hitting those extended torsion bars for IRS. So I couldnt run my paddles. Well combine the fact that my Wife wants to go FASTER and I couldnt use my paddles... That means it's time for a change in the suspension.
I picked up 3x3 arms from Blind Chicken Racing last night along with shorter torsion bars. I had also recevied from them a while back a set of swingaxle spring plates that were cut for use with IRS, just for that purpose.
So, couple that with the fact that I need to do the fibreglass work on the hood and it will be easier to replace the trailing arms with the body off... I've torn the car back down to jsut the body. Still got to finish removing it. All the work I did to make it "easier" to remove the body is paying off....
I suppose that while I have the body off I can do my 3rib tranny replacement as well.
Does anyone know what length axles I need for 3x3 arms? I know they are custom length, just dont know what the actual length needed is. I think I'll make a page detailing the different trailing arms you can get and needed axle lengths.
I'll post some pics hopefully this weekend.
Went to Sand Lake as most of you know over Labor day and really had a blast. However my wife is a speed demon... Along with that my paddles were hitting those extended torsion bars for IRS. So I couldnt run my paddles. Well combine the fact that my Wife wants to go FASTER and I couldnt use my paddles... That means it's time for a change in the suspension.
I picked up 3x3 arms from Blind Chicken Racing last night along with shorter torsion bars. I had also recevied from them a while back a set of swingaxle spring plates that were cut for use with IRS, just for that purpose.
So, couple that with the fact that I need to do the fibreglass work on the hood and it will be easier to replace the trailing arms with the body off... I've torn the car back down to jsut the body. Still got to finish removing it. All the work I did to make it "easier" to remove the body is paying off....
I suppose that while I have the body off I can do my 3rib tranny replacement as well.
Does anyone know what length axles I need for 3x3 arms? I know they are custom length, just dont know what the actual length needed is. I think I'll make a page detailing the different trailing arms you can get and needed axle lengths.
I'll post some pics hopefully this weekend.
- tuff_puff
- Posts: 1055
- Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 pm

