GEX International Rip Off?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
ck85abc
Posts: 902
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ck85abc »

Travis S wrote:Also cip1.com has large color adds and they have great stuff for good prices
Ive ordered from CIP1 before. Have never had a problem. Don't they sell GEX engine though?
User avatar
drkoontz
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by drkoontz »

Travis S wrote:Also cip1.com has large color adds and they have great stuff for good prices
Don't take this wrong , I do Like CIP ( and buy from them).

But did you know that CIP sells GEX engines ........
User avatar
Kenny2428
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kenny2428 »

Yes, maybe we should inform them? If they sold a defunct engine(which i'm sure they have) the customer would blame it on CIP1....and they dont even build the engines, gex does.
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

Glenn wrote:Maybe HVW and VWT should think about accepting ads from them.

Without those print ads, they'de probibly be out of business within a year.
In today's economy, they would accept an ad From Ted Kazynski(sp?) for fireworks.

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

Glenn wrote:
VWGirl wrote:...........If it's not there, it could of fallen off.
all the OTHER parts DO!
;-)

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
User avatar
zilch02pcusa
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:01 am

Post by zilch02pcusa »

Travis S wrote:Also cip1.com has large color adds and they have great stuff for good prices
wholesale does wonderful things... but THEY CONTRACTED WITH GEX FOR THEIR TURNKEY MOTORS
User avatar
hot73vw
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:46 am

Post by hot73vw »

Okay, time for my 2 cents worth...I bought a GEX 1835 in '98 from someone that bought it from GEX in about '96. It was still in the GEX plastic wrap, and never had been run. Outwardly, it had a case that looked as if it had been sitting rotting away and had been "saved" and re-done. I was a little hesitant about getting it, but did anyway. It had an 8 dowel stock crank, stock rods, GEX 110 cam, steel pushrods, 041 (39x32) heads, single springs, steel oil pump, and chromolly rings. I installed it with a 36 horse doghouse fan, Kadrons, 1 1/2 qt deep sump and Eurotuck exhaust (Okay, I didn't know anything then). Other than seriously dripping oil from the rear pulley due to insufficient breathers, I didn't have any real problems. In pursuit of the oil drip problem, I took the engine out twice and replaced the rings with non chromolly ones. I put about 6k miles on it, including numerous trips to the dragstrip (6k rpm), an upgrade to the Kadrons and new exhaust that resulted in a best of 16.10 @ 82. Earlier this year, I took it apart because everyone told me I was on borrowed time with a GEX motor. The case had a 040 line bore w/ std thrust, std crank and everything appeared good, but it had a really nasty deck height, probably about 110-120. With the stock 041 heads I estimate the compression at about 6.5-7:1. I put new bearings, 94s, 044 Supermag heads 8.2:1 and a K7 cam, w/ 1.4s, full flowed with Berg pump and 72 pass cooler. To date with a 1 5/8s exhaust and A1 with IDAs and Berg 5 the car has gone 8.99 in the 1/8th and 14.5 @ 91 in the 1/4. I have turned the engine to 7500, and it's still together. Though I've heard other people locally complain about GEX, and I wouldn't ever buy another engine from them, it would appear I was one of the lucky ones. After this initial post I checked the cam and compared it to a stock replacement cam. It was basically a reground stock cam with a smaller lobe circle. The ramps appear more steep than the stocker and the effective lift would be higher with the smaller lobe circle. Also, the GEX sticker is still stuck to the case, even though its been in the parts cleaner and had numerous cleanings prior to assembly!
Sorry for the long post...
User avatar
zilch02pcusa
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:01 am

Post by zilch02pcusa »

almost as bad as MOFOCO engraving your case with their initials when you send it in for machining... even if you try to get it off theres still a faint outline of where it used to be...
farmer
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:01 am

Post by farmer »

GEX used to be better. Up to about 3½ - 4 years ago I used a lot of GEX rebuilt rods for sockers and mild engines. But then the rods became worse. The work seemed alright, but the weight tolerances got way out of line. So now I use more and more CB unitech NEW rods. A little more $ but they are great.

Why are they still in business ? Well, the last ignorant person isnt dead yet. And there are always somebody that doesn´t have, or doesn´t want to spend the extra $$ for a proper built engine.

And even so. Every once in a while an engine comes up that you should just have said NO to build. I for one can sign to that. I´ve had my share.
Torben
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Sad thing is that most of the Newbies take the bait.
User avatar
drkoontz
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by drkoontz »

I sure don't see what all the fuss is about ......

GEX makes some of the best .....

Boat anchors....(tie rope to engine throw over board)

Door stops......(place engine at edge open door)

Lowering kit ... (place your leaky gex engine in trunk of car)

Soap box .......(Stand upon your leaky gex engine)

Teeter Totter partner....... (place at opposite end)

Home plate......... (try sliding in on the that oily mess)

great April fools joke .... (swap out your buddies engine for a GEX time bomb)

Etc ....

Etc........


:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
User avatar
green65bug
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:51 pm

Post by green65bug »

When camping they make good firewood too. :lol:
User avatar
ErikTheRed
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ErikTheRed »

zilch02pcusa wrote:almost as bad as MOFOCO engraving your case with their initials when you send it in for machining... even if you try to get it off theres still a faint outline of where it used to be...
This is SOOOOOOOO true!!!!! I took my MOFUKO case in last year and had it machined at VeeDub Motorwerkes, and had them machine off the shameful MOFOCO signage from the sides of the oil sump--- after cutting it completely away, it is still PERFECTLY readable as if it had been seared in with muiratic acid!! But, I have to admit, at least they do something over there that seems to last!!
User avatar
norcalvws
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2001 12:01 am

Post by norcalvws »

I Love GEX Engines :twisted:
Without their wonderfull ability to F%ck-up a perfectly reuseable VW Engine, I wouldn't be building engines..................................... :roll:
Seriously, they suk & so do those that sell reman engines for $499.00. :shock:
I'm still seraching for the 100,000 Mile no leaks & no problems prick. :evil: This dude is stating that all they need to do is change the engine oil. Funny, There's solid tappets in these so called 100,000 mile engines. What about the 30,50 or 70 K valve job..............
And we loose so many new to the VW hobby because of only a few A$$ holes.
Nor-Cal Dave.
EGad987
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:52 pm

Post by EGad987 »

Also cip1.com has large color adds and they have great stuff for good prices


Unfortunatly I just bought a turnkey motor from CIP1 and I'll give you one guess as to who built it?

I hope this thing works.
Post Reply