CB Rotohub Rear Discs - ALL MUST READ!!!

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
User avatar
raygreenwood
Posts: 11914
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Post by raygreenwood »

I will ask my brake man what he recommends..and if it is proprietary to certain pad configurations. I will be down there next week.
The CB brackets "look" good. I had been wondering if anyone had used them...how accurate the casting and machine work was...and wether theye wre strong enough. They are about $100 for just the pair of the brackets. The kit...overall would be useless to me...but since th 411/412 uses a type one bearing cover in the rear...with a hair bit of modifying...but the same pattern, I could simply remove the backing plate...add the brackets, have my outer stub turned .125" on the edge and bolt up either 914 or saab rear rotors. The type 3...though it uses teh same rear drum as the type 4...uses a different stub axle configuration. If anyone can get me the bolt hole configuration on the brackets...ie: the diameter of the holes and the distance between them...I would be happy. I asked CB over the phone for the info about two years ago. The person on the phone did not know....and was not interested in telling me...said "just buy the kit"...my question was ...why buy the kit for $400+ when 3/4 of it will not fit my vehicle.
I want rear discs for the same reason....no fade when properly adjusted. I am less interested in the calpiers they have with it....though I could probably live with them.....because they are single piston calipers. They are decent...but not as nice as a set of two piston calipers. I would even be willing to put twin piston calipers on with no E-brake...and build an extra bracket for a parking brake with a mechanical pull caliper. Ray
NextGen
Posts: 2830
Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by NextGen »

When I got the dropped front spindles I had the choice to run discs. So I have Ghia or T-3 which may be the same -New on the front. They work great. I think there are bolt up calibers to replace my 914's in the back if needed.

Joe
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield

http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.

Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Well, the Kerscher brakes kits with vented rotors uses stock ATE calipers with a half inch spacer between the two pistons to space the caliper and make it wider for the vented rotors. I am sure the same can be done to the rear 914 calipers and use them with vented rotors. Building the brackets should not be too hard, if you have the right tools and access to the parts.

Great info

Ephry
User avatar
raygreenwood
Posts: 11914
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Post by raygreenwood »

The difficulty in building brackets are (a) making them stiff as hell so they don't flex...which misaligns the caliper and causes serious wear and flex. (2) Keeping them straight andmaking them straight if you do any welding.
The only other problem with 914 calipers for rear...is that the pistons are puny and the kits (unless something has changed) are nearly unobtanium. Ray
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Yup!... One day I'll have tools, a garage and time to work on something like that. I am sure there are a lot of brackets needed for a decent conversion



Ephry
Post Reply