Page 4 of 15

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 am
by bazibbo
Can anyone give me a few pointers on my start fuel map please. It's not the easiest starter, feels sometimes like I'm gonna run out of battery or kill my starter before it eventually splutters into life.

I'm happy to play with the figures, but I can't find any referance.

Image

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:07 am
by Dan Dryden
Did you have new valve guides fitted? A friend of mine had a problem with a stuck valve after having new guides fitted. Turned out the machine shop didn't bother reaming them out after they were fitted... Things don't seem to be going your way on this build but I'm pleased to see that it hasn't beaten you. Sorry I can't offer any advice on your start up table as I'm using a different ECU.

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 am
by bazibbo
LOL, don't worry Dan I'll just keep plodding along.

I don't think they were new guides, I think they just soda blasted the heads and relapped the valves in. I've just been on the phone with my 'builder of choice', who says its either a sticky valve or most likely a weak valve spring. The other time the engine fell to bits was due to a pushrod jumping out on number 2.... could that have been spring related... dunno but I'm beginning to think I've ended up with the 'friday afternoon transit' of valve springs. (bet that'll fool you yanks!)

Apparently quality is plummeting of late.

So its heads off and whip them back up to Northallerton.... thats an afternoon off work then :)

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 am
by Wally
Mine usually start best with about 300% when cold (10-20 Celcius), then gradually less with climbing temp.
I also drop % faster then your map downwards with added rpms.
Its weird yours starts with 150%, then 200% when engine gets warmer?

Lots of cold starts to dial it in unfortunately, I had to do my share...

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:29 pm
by billz60vw
Hi barrie!good to see you working out the little problems!keep up the good work!

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:16 am
by bazibbo
I'm gonna play with startup map this weekend, thanks Wally.

The injection stuff all bolted on great thanks Bill and weak springs or sticky valves aside, things are looking good. I really need to match port the heads to the inlets, maybe a job for next year, I think I'll just get things up and running first. ta :wink: appreciate you going the extra mile.

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 am
by bazibbo
Not much has happened since last weekend. We've had nothing but rain in my little part of England (and the rest of it) which is amusing given that most of us are in drought conditions, with a hosepipe ban running in a lot of areas.

Went out for a little drive last weekend... shouldn't have, as I can't use any boost yet... so really just a run out in a low compression 1.9, hardly exciting. I played with the start fuel map as per Wallys instructions and she starts great now, both hot and cold, I'll post the map at some point.

There's a big hickup at low revs that will get sorted at some point, but other than that, nice and smooth. Driving without letting any boost build isn't fun! A bit like jumping off the missus just at that special moment... if you know what I mean! But I needed to be able to drive it just for a mile or two, before pulling it all to bits again.

Here's how it looked, back from the rolling road after the guys did all the initial plumbing and wiring setup.

Image

Image

Need to do a bit of work on tidying the wiring and plumbing. I don't love my turbo to throttlebody pipe, but it'll do for now until I get one made up and I'm unhappy with the routing of a lot of the sensor wires too. I need to learn more about the mexican setup and what should be blocked off / replaced or upgraded, but it is running, so I'll just be finishing this stage first.

Comments are invited on whats happening with the plumbing on the base of the manifold! Should I be running a hotter plug where that air valve thingy should be? :roll:

OK so, weather permitting this weekend... Engine out and heads off to be sorted. Whilst the engines out I've got a pair of rhino mounts to fit and I've got hold of 'half' a strap kit, the front end, which I'm hopeing will help to stop the (standard!) gearbox falling to bits before I get any miles on it. Ideally I'd like to triangulate the frame horns with a truss kit and stick a mid mount on the box... it's frustraiting that I haven't got the skills to fabricate the stuff myself, especially as I'm on a very tight budget at the moment after spending on the initial set up.

I'm also going to get a boss for a wideband AFR welded into the exhaust whilst it's in bits (about time I hear you cry!)

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:13 am
by bazibbo
Here's a bit more detail on the fuel rails...

Image

My two 8mm fuel pipes run to a neat BMW regulator that's combined with a filter, you can see the single exit fuel pipe to the first rail, 3 and 4..

Image

... and then round the back to the second rail on 1 and 2. That little bugpack oil breather will get replaced at some point and I'm not too happy about the wiring on the crank sensor. Can't wait to tidy things up a bit and hide some of the wires.

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 am
by panel
Is your 1/2 side fuel rail dead ended?

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:44 am
by CobraJet
bazibbo wrote: .........Comments are invited on whats happening with the plumbing on the base of the manifold! .........
What is that , that looks like an uncapped vacuum port/nozzel at the base of the manifold just in front of the port that you have blocked off by the spark plug?

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 am
by bazibbo
Yep, the rail on 1 and 2 is dead ended.

And yes, that empty outlet worries me too. I believe it should end up in the air filter on an n/a engine, but I'm not convinced it should be open to atmospheric pressure on a turboed engine... though that's based on my misguided view of the world. I'm hopeing that someone will come along and let us know.

Can't tell you what it is exactly (don't laugh u lot, I'm mechanically challenged!) but I'm going to have a good look into it.

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:15 am
by CobraJet
That is plugged when you run the engine, correct?

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 am
by bazibbo
No, not at the moment! They don't believe it's a direct tap into the intake. I will be double checking it though, before it gets fired up again.

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:14 pm
by Steve Arndt
Built in boost leak if you don't plug that vacuum line.

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 pm
by billz60vw
There is no vacuum port or anything there unless it was added.also barrie you should think about a return line so you can get rid of that plug on 1/2 side.