Page 4 of 15
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:16 pm
by RyanB
Heh. When I say the engine is filled with water.. I mean filled. The crank case is full of water.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:40 pm
by david58
If the engine oiling system is filled with water it doesn't make a lot of sense that the water got there thru the carbs. Drain it take the spark plugs out and see if it will turn over by hand. If it does then the water got there by other means. If water got there thru the carbs the cylinders would rust. Then you would be looking at rebuilding if water got just in the oil then you can most likely salvage it.
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:49 pm
by 1FASTHOE
ridinthedune wrote:get ready for the dumbest thing I've said on here........
I filled my jetski engine with water before, just pulled the plugs, hit the starter a few times...tossed the plugs in and off I went.....any thoughts?
i've done the same thing on my jet ski. its ok as long as it has not been sitting for any amount of time. pulling the plugs makes sure you dont hydro lock your engine and bend something...
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:20 pm
by RyanB
Well. I will clarify a bit more...
When I pulled off the dual carbs, I found the intake ports full of water. All 4. Then I pulled the dispstick and found it had water all over it.
What I 'may' do is pull the plugs, drain the oil/water. Shoot some marvel oil in the cylendars. Put some cheapo oil back in. Then crank it by hand a few times. After a few revolutions, then hit the starter. Go for say like 30 seconds and shoot some more oil in the cyl's through the plug holes. Another 30 seconds... etc etc.
If I get it running again. Run it for like 10 minutes and change the oil again...
Been contemplating this all day while I was working on my rail.
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:43 am
by Skidmark
What do you have to lose?
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:12 pm
by RyanB
Skidmark wrote:What do you have to lose?
Apparently not a whole lot! I spent most of today so far on the engine. I've gone through the steps above and using my POS test carb, it's running! Not great. But it is.
I drained the water (Since oil is lighter then water) until I hit oil. Then stuck the pan undearneath to catch the oil. I sprayed penetrating lubricant into the cyl's and cranked it by hand for a bit then used the starter. Worked rather well.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:01 am
by RyanB
No Pics at the moment, but I've got my hood on and adjusted about as close as I can get. These things never seem to fit exactly of course. I am working out how to do the new apron now. The bugeye kit that was installed before ended up having too much metal cut away fro mthe body. I am having to weld new sheet metal onto the body to accomodate the apron correctly. After that I'll be able to put the front fenders on.
On a side note. This is a thread to the volksrods site. Collecing info right now on swapping the redux tranny in and there are a few usefull tidbits there. Keeping for future referance...
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11498
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:59 pm
by RyanB
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:08 pm
by Leatherneck
Looks good, you guys with your fancy shancy mig welders make me well just down right jealous.
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:12 pm
by RyanB
lol. Hiya LEather... Do you ever sleep?
You know what I fell in love with today? My plasma cutter.. OMG this would have taken me days without that thing...
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:16 pm
by Leatherneck
Plasma cutter, man I have to get out of the stone age.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:08 am
by RyanB
I love it when a nice weekend rolls around. I got ALOT done on both my Baja and my Rail. I spent alot of time fitting my Baja kit. I'm pretty happy with everything except the rear cowl. I guess I have the bolts at a bad angle relative to the cowl itself. I may have to try and bend them or jsut cut them out and reweld some back in.
Things Left to do:
Put in Headlights.
Buy/install double tube front bumper
Get tires for front centerlines and put them on
Hood tie downs
buy/install tail lights.
Buy install side tree bars
Paint install rear cage
Misc interior issues
Bad oil leak at pump housing
REGISTER it !
Here's some pics.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:43 am
by allsierra123
ryan our cars look very similar kind of strange.Although mine looks more like your before pick.Are we the only ones with the black baja's?
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am
by RyanB
Not sure Tim... We could be! It's just so sexy!
I went with a Wide flared kit (Extra strong). so it has an extra 2" to each fender. Guess I like that fatboy kinda look.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:09 am
by allsierra123
It looks good.I like the steel fronts you sent me.Im actually thinking of mounting some offroad lights on them instead of signals.The only thing I am not liking is the rear fibreglass fenders.Im thinking of swapping them out for metal.