My Buggy (re)Build.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I think the motor is fine. Not too happy with the Carb's though as it's running like crap again. Fairly sure that could be because of bad gas though that was left over i nthe gas tank when I put it back on. I'm, gonna throw some stabil in it along with some new good gas and see if it clears up.

I havent a clue if it was 3 feet or not to be honest. Just what I figured it was is all.

I guess i'll know more tonight after I pull the motor and trans out.

I still have my Mustang for trade if anyone has a nice big motor and built up trans. heh... :twisted:
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well motor and trans are pulled. I drained the trans. Lots and lots of large metal pieces and shavings on the magnetic plug...

I pulled the nosecone off. I dont see a reverse gear. There are 3 finger things and the ends of 2 shafts.
User avatar
tuff_puff
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 pm

Post by tuff_puff »

not posative but i think you need to pull off the bell housing to see reverse?
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

scott the viking wrote:Cool thing...you don't even need to "open" the tranny. Just pull off the bell housing.
You could leave it in the car and pull the bell off...it is right under it.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

So I am a dumbass. You guys kept mentioning bellhousing and I kept thinking nosecone. Slap me and call me sally...

Anyhow, this is a bug type 1 transmission. The bellhousing doesnt come off. :oops:
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

RyanB wrote:Slap me and call me sally...
OOH, OOH me first :lol:
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Ok Leather... me 2nd

"sally"
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Here is my pic update. Finally got my PC back online. The 1st pics here are my wiring I did....


Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic


Removed my engine and transmission due to the problem with reverse...

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

I had a helper too!

Image
Larger Pic

I was almost finished too... <sigh>

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic


Because my wife said I have to "show how much 'junk' I have"...

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic


And lastly... Here is the 3 rib I am considering putting in my buggy...

Image
Larger Pic
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Hard to tell from the pic but the tranny has a shaft housing on it, yes? But the T-1 tranny looks like it does not, am I close? If the 3 rib has a throw out bearing guide shaft and your other did not you will need to take the face off of your clutch so the bearing is riding on the fingers. Am I anywhere close?
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Leatherneck wrote:Hard to tell from the pic but the tranny has a shaft housing on it, yes? But the T-1 tranny looks like it does not, am I close? If the 3 rib has a throw out bearing guide shaft and your other did not you will need to take the face off of your clutch so the bearing is riding on the fingers. Am I anywhere close?
I am unaware of any type 1 that has a shaft housing. I'll double-check the 002 when I get home for a shaft housing.

Yea I get what you mean about riding on the fingers. Now sure I would feel comfortable with that though. I can just buy the correct arrangement of parts so this all works together nicely couldnt i? heh.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

There is, will post pic later. The clutch is designed to accomadate both styles with shaft housing/using fingers and with out shaft housing with adapter on fingers. Manufacture tells you without shaft housing take adapter off clutch, it works.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Image
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well I talked to the neighbor yesterday. It was his father that I got the buggy from. He keeps assuring me that the tranny was "built up" and it has a lifetime guarantee on 1st and 2nd gear. He doesnt know what else is in it. Kinda frusterating because I dont know if I want to spend the money to get this one fixed or what... <sigh>

He did say that his brother has an extra type 1 tranny that they will give me to get me going again.

I also picked up a pair of seats yesterday. They will sit alot lower then the others I have, but are gonna take alot of fabrication. I need to get a pair of 4 point seat belts now though.
User avatar
tuff_puff
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 pm

Post by tuff_puff »

RyanB wrote:He keeps assuring me that the tranny was "built up" and it has a lifetime guarantee on 1st and 2nd gear. .....................I need to get a pair of 4 point seat belts now though.
i would like to get to know this tranny builder. guaranteed 1st-2nd gears? i dont think i have ever heard of that...


i just gave away a good set of tiger claw 4 points like a week ago they could of been all yours.

Image
those are what i got from crow.. fred crow himself stitched them for me. there customer service is second to none i got both my belts custom stitched for $149 shipped to my fron door. they are 3x3 v-belt(im fat so he said the v-belt is stonger then the y) and a 3x3 y belt for the passenger side.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Tuff puff you are not fat, Like me you are weight enhanced. :lol:
Post Reply