Transmissions for Dummies

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Daniel G
Moderator
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:38 pm

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by Daniel G »

Here is a link to a thread with some useful discussions about shifter linkages for a mid shift Vanagon transaxle..

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=136307
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by david58 »

Shifter knob thread sizes.
Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
madmitch
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:41 pm

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by madmitch »

This thread isn't just for dummies. Everybody can learn from it. Lots of invaluable information!
If you feel you are picking up speed you may be going downhill.
sandman839
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by sandman839 »

Does any one have any info on what it takes to convert the '80='83 side shift to a standard nose cone shift? Any help would be great.
tikotiko
Posts: 2904
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:50 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by tikotiko »

User avatar
turboblue
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by turboblue »

sandman839 wrote:Does any one have any info on what it takes to convert the '80='83 side shift to a standard nose cone shift? Any help would be great.
Nose cone, intermediate housing, and shift rails from an end shift 091 from what I remember.
That's not the trans he asked about.
His is an air cooled version that shifts from the intermediate housing rather than from mid case.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
Image
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
sandman839
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by sandman839 »

Thanks. Sounds like stuff that is available aftermarket. For the price Weddell wants for their converted 094 I would buy a Mindy.
dezertryno
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:58 pm

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by dezertryno »

The 094 reverse is stronger than a Spendiola. If you're going to go Mendi, look at an HV-1 for an alternative. I know of a bunch of cars with 15k miles with no failure. The HV is based off the 094.
sandman839
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by sandman839 »

Going to go with a built 091. Never had a problem with the reveres in my 002, just the ring and pinion. I don't use revers very often.
GREG.M
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by GREG.M »

ok i have searched for this but found no answers. I have a Berrien warrior chassis rail buggy. A friend of mine offered me a 5 speed transaxle out of an old 914. Anyhow I know the 914 is mid engine mount, and my rail is rear engin mount. Is there a way to make this work??? I would love to have a 5 speed, since I mostly only use the rail on road.

Thanks
Greg
User avatar
Big Dave
Posts: 3208
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by Big Dave »

With VWs, the rear to mid conversion is done by flipping the differential over. I don't know if that can be done with the 914 trans. Otherwise you will have 5 gears in reverse.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by sideshow »

GREG.M wrote:...A friend of mine offered me a 5 speed transaxle out of an old 914. Anyhow I know the 914 is mid engine mount, and my rail is rear engin mount. Is there a way to make this work???...
A 914 runs a 901/902 series gearbox, nearly the same as the 912/911. Having a nose cone shift (opposed to a side shift) is more desirable linkage wise, the gearing may not be better than what you have now (they tend to have super low R&P), and while parts are available then tend to be porsche cost.

You could do it, but I doubt the math would make any sense.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
blg4351
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:37 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by blg4351 »

If putting in a 002 do you have to change the bell housing over to a different one?
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by Piledriver »

GREG.M wrote:ok i have searched for this but found no answers. I have a Berrien warrior chassis rail buggy. A friend of mine offered me a 5 speed transaxle out of an old 914. Anyhow I know the 914 is mid engine mount, and my rail is rear engin mount. Is there a way to make this work??? I would love to have a 5 speed, since I mostly only use the rail on road.

Thanks
Greg

You can flip the diff ~just like a SSC T1 trans.
The 914 trans is a nice piece, 2nd-4th are probably as strong or stronger than a beefed bus trans, and CERTAINLY quieter.
They get V8s put on them on a regular basis.

Parts are very likely cheaper than Weddle.... They made more 914s than all other Porsches combined to date last I checked.

... but 1st is glass, it was an add on to the original 901 4 speed and is only supported at one end.
The V8 conversion folks literally remove 1st so they don't have to go fishing for it later.

Not sure if the gearing will work for you but on the highway it is probably as good as it gets.

Noseshifter ~easy convert, sideshifter are sought after by 914 folk, can be used with cable shift rig.
The internals are mostly interchangeable, just the shift bits differ.

Greg M.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
spicetraders
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: Transmissions for Dummies

Post by spicetraders »

Looking at the transaxle info it is most helpful.
Sadly I tried the link to "THE TRANSAXLE GUIDE" but I think it is dead link as I end up in some shopping coupon place.
Any one have a copy of this guide?
Post Reply