Page 3 of 4
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:01 pm
by racelook
So another update...
This afternoon I finally was free form school so I could work on my car.. Lot's of the prepwork was done on sundayafternoon (in an cold garage -> the heater was dead)
At first we welded up the right box on the rear wheelarce.
At the other side an backplate was welded in.. An yet another piece of foam was burned out
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 221714.jpg
The sideplate of this boxe is also made right and will be welded in tomorrow
Also we welded the tubes from a-to b-pilar on there "footplates"
Also the left side is welded on the "footplates"
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 223036.jpg
And the last thing that we did today was beginning at the making of our strutbrace. On every plate will be attached 3 tubes (if everything goes as planned)
I hope ya like it!!
Wiebrand
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:20 am
by coxy-ben
hi wiebrand !!
what's news ??
BenoƮt
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:14 pm
by racelook
Yes Ben there is an update...
But am now verry tired so the pics and info will follow tomorrownight.
Grt Wiebrand
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:53 am
by Tom Simon
You guys are doing a real nice job, taking your time, the fit looks great! Just know that when you are done, it will be a "show bar", that will give some rollover protection and look real cool, it just won't satisfy any of the drag race sanctioning body rules for going real fast.
NHRA says 1-5/8 diameter x .125" wall mild steel tube minimum. .083" wall if you use higher stength chromoly. Water pipe, rigid conduit, lawn funiture tube is pretty much off limits for a serious race car. We can't get the good stuff from the local home improvement center in the states, either. You pretty much have to get it from a place that sells racecar supplies, unless you are prepared to buy 1000 feet or more from a major steel distributor... I' certain drag and rally cars are build all over the place where you live, you just have to get plugged into the right resources. If you are after the look, and don't care about what some sanctioning body says, then keep going. Either way the craftsmenship looks good. One the other hand, if you plan on running a big turbo engine and going 11.50's or faster, I'd be shame to have the safety guys at the track tel you all of your hard work was for nothing, get some roll bar tubing and redo it.
On the bender, you can make a pipe bender work, but you have to use the right shoe and modify the followers (those 2 round deals 8" either side of the shoe) with a half round peice of tubing welded on. The sand filling is a real good way to keep from collapsing the tube, like you've done. Good luck
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:43 am
by racelook
Thanks Tom..
I know what your saying about the used tubes. But I have tried several metaldistrubuters (not the good word but you know what I mean) and they al recommend this stuff... It's thicker and stiffer than construction steal. (chroomolybdeen is less say it simple... verry verrry verry difficult here in the Netherlands to get). It's not America here, were for everything is an market

.
Also our dragraceclubs (if there are some here in the Netherlands or Benelux?) are not as stricked I think as yours in America. P.s. If I go racing than it will be more trackrelated than dragracing.
And I definetly know that my cage is stronger than one that is bolted to the floorpans. Or as some cages that are bolted to the rear wheelarces WITHOUT any extra metal welded on the wheelarces (so it's holded in place wit max 2 mm of steel

)...
GReeTings Wiebrand
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:54 am
by racelook
SO after an weekend of hard work there is finally some update...
At first we had drawn where the tubes will go trough the "dashboardmetal" and cut that out.
At this point I was lucky that I already had removed the "freshairbox" that is hanging in the boot under the frontwindow because otherwise the cage couldn't be coupled to the frontstruts.
I also was obliged to remove the trunkhangs (do you call them so??). Tja The cage didn't fitted otherwise so hell yeah than the hangs has to get lost
Some pic of the tube that goes from the cage to the frontstruts seeing from the trunk
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 005022.jpg
Pic of the interiorside
Detailpic
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 005213.jpg
Two brackets made and welded on the plates to make the strutbrace.
And here the totallpic of it..
And off course everything under supervision of my brother
Greetings Wiebrand
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:20 pm
by coxy-ben
I want the same !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:53 pm
by racelook
So here's finally my update!! because I was sick for 4 days (and that just when I finally had 3 free days but hell yeah.. better luck next time.
At first we mate two brackets, that we welded to the boxes on the rearwheelarces.
At first the leftside:
This is the right one
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 202124.jpg
This gives the next total picture when the tubes is maked on mate.Looks nice if I may say by myself.
Second we have made brackets that we one one side have welded on the strutbraceplates.
And here also an total picture ofit seen from the trunk.
On the tank you also see the tube for the right side. Also are the brackets for this tube ready to be welded on the cage and on the strutbraceplate. So that one will be in next week.
I hope you liked it!!!

:laugh:
Grt Wiebrand
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:32 pm
by racelook
SO BOYS AND GIRLS.
It's about time for another update. And I must say it's getting ready quite nice.
At first we had made the tube on the right side that goes to the strutbrace
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 223535.jpg
There must be made another 2 tubes for the strutbrace to the cage and then is the hole front side ready!! Here an totalpic till now.
A picie form about
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 223714.jpg
For the tubes from the cage to the chassistunnel there is welded an bracket at the cage. Also the tubes are made on the right size and are welded off. And that gifs the next pic.
The totalpicture from the front
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 224025.jpg
The totalpicture from the back
After that we made an tube on the right size for between the cage and the brackets on the rear wheelarces.
Detailpic of the welding... Looks damn nice if you ask me..
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 224210.jpg
And also the next tube is made on the right size. The cost verry much time ; grinding, fitting, grinding, fitting, grinding, etc.. But after all it fits damn nice.
Detail pic from above
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 224350.jpg
Detailpic from under
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 224426.jpg
But yeah if it goes on the leftside it also has to come on the rightside.
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 224459.jpg
And also tonight I 've worked on the cage and 1 tube of the cross of the cage is also ready to be welded in.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Greetings Wiebrand
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:32 pm
by racelook
So yesterdayevening I had some time, so I have worked on my cage.
The first piece of the cross in the cage is ready and is till thursday tacked in.
Under
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 211031.jpg
Above
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 211057.jpg
The other half of the cross is made almost on the right size. Here a little pre-look at it.
Greetings Wiebrand

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:46 pm
by purple69
wow that looks badas.s!!
how much would it cost to fly you to canada and do one up for me?
whats with the funky green light?
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:51 pm
by racelook
purple69 wrote:how much would it cost to fly you to canada and do one up for me?
hahahaha.. Hole the flytrip gone and back

....
I can say to you that this is verrry verry much work
BTW maybe I'm going to Canada in the summervacation.
Greetings Wiebrand
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 am
by Chris Percival
Looks fantastic! Were did you get the plates for the strut brace? Did you make them?
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:14 am
by racelook
Chris Percival wrote:Looks fantastic! Were did you get the plates for the strut brace? Did you make them?
Jep almost everything of the cage is handmade.
Wiebrand
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:47 pm
by racelook
So finally I had some time to get on with the cage again.
At first an brither pic of the cross in the cage (not totally ready yet).
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 230215.jpg
And anbetter pic of the welding on the back wheelarces.
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 230528.jpg
At first I had maked two other holes in the dashboardplate so that the tubes from the struts can go to the cage.
Pic from the inside (driversside).
Pic from trunk (driverside)
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 230812.jpg
Also we had bendend 2 tubes that will go in front of the doors from the a- to the b-pillar.
After that we welded brackets on the tube at the a-pillar. So that the tube from the strut can be mounted to the cage.
Driversside
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 231044.jpg
Passengerside
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 231132.jpg
There's also an bracket welded tot the long tube (from the strut tot the cage) so that the short tube can be mounted from the strut to the cage.
An detailpic of the bracket welded on the long tube.
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 231344.jpg
And FINALLY the front of the cage is READY. It was about time!!!
Seen from the trunk.
From the interior.
See ya next time
Wiebrand