GEX International Rip Off?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
User avatar
57Drag
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:01 am

Post by 57Drag »

Come up with some well thought out stickers and if well all use them they will get the word out,or even flyers for the races or shows?....Donald
[email protected]
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:01 am

Post by [email protected] »

Like you said, "GEX [] had the best looking advertising in HotVW's magazine"

That's three strikes in once sentence.
User avatar
The_Dude
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:01 am

Post by The_Dude »

Glenn wrote:
VWGirl wrote:are the engines stamped anywhere that they are from GEX?
All the GEX engines i've seen have a GEX sticker on the back of the engine flange. That's the engine side right in front of the fan shroud.. If it's not there, it could of fallen off.
The GEX engine I pulled out of my bug, had the sticker as you describe, but also had GEX stamped into the top of the case. I don't know why they're so proud of these engines.
[email protected]
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:01 am

Post by [email protected] »

The_Dude wrote:
Glenn wrote:
VWGirl wrote:are the engines stamped anywhere that they are from GEX?
All the GEX engines i've seen have a GEX sticker on the back of the engine flange. [...] I don't know why they're so proud of these engines.
Maybe GEX ain't proud. They just want to know when they get one as a core so they know to throw it away.
User avatar
BUGMAN II
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by BUGMAN II »

[email protected] wrote:
The_Dude wrote:
Glenn wrote:
VWGirl wrote:are the engines stamped anywhere that they are from GEX?
All the GEX engines i've seen have a GEX sticker on the back of the engine flange. [...] I don't know why they're so proud of these engines.
Maybe GEX ain't proud. They just want to know when they get one as a core so they know to throw it away.
ROTFLMAO
User avatar
Freq2002
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Freq2002 »

I ordered an 1835 sand special back in 1993, I also had em machine it for Chevy hydraulic lifters. I got it in & built up w/o any real issues. the only -obvious- thing was that the parts list said it should have swivel foot adjusters & it did not.
It was a year later when I was up in the mojave desert that I came across the real problem. Same issue, a wrist pin clip not installed wore a groove in a cylender & destroyed the jug.
These days tho, I dont care if I order a turn key motor from the best shop on the planet, it comes apart & gets inspected. before I turn any keys,...

The bytch was when I called GEX they gave me all kinds of BS & the runaround about how they couldn't help me out with even a new jug. thats all I wanted, ONE fewkin jug, everything else was fine. Last time I've dealt w. em, & never will again.

I suppose I lucked out tho, coz the block is still in service out there somewhere, I traded it for a TIV case a while back, but not before i put about 100K on it.
I dig all cars, whether old, new, hammered out of Japanese tin cans, American iron, or German steel.
Rides:
70 Volksrod "The Black Bomber"
12 Jetta 2.5
56 GMC 370 "Tater"
07 Avalanche
20 Cherokee Trialhawk
05' Harley FLHTCUI
bugstrtracer
Posts: 877
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:01 am

Post by bugstrtracer »

they also stamp in into the head right behind the rocker arm assembly. My buddy bought a 1776 from them awhile back he just had to have it, the thing is a HUGE POS. we have already taken the motor apart and resealed the thing. He wanted a VZ15 cam in it and they said no, so he bought the cam, sent it to them, then they charged him for a non stock cam, and when we tore the motor down it had a stock cam in it!
ck85abc
Posts: 902
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ck85abc »

I wish I would win one of those 300million dollars lotteries. I would pay for all loyers to sue them. Until they go out of bussiness or change.
jmillheiser
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2001 12:01 am

Post by jmillheiser »

i could see HVWs pulling their ads. but you seriously think primedia is going to pull ads from seedy advertisers.

look in any primedia mag. they are full of ads from seedy retailers
User avatar
Deathbug74
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Deathbug74 »

speaking of primedia and seedy advertisers...one of em in sport compact car (some stupid name like Air Dynamic Racing) had "call for a free catalog" printed at the bottom. i called and asked for the catalog...guy tells me "we're not giving away catalogs..use the online catalog". i told him "the ad stated to call for a free catalog, and why print that if you're not gonna give em away?" his reply: "oh well" and then he hung up on me.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Trust me, all the big "Ink guys" are just as bad as the other......... Those ads start at 2500.00 a month !!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
ErikTheRed
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ErikTheRed »

ck85abc wrote: I would pay for all "loyers" to sue them.
I dont mean to be an a-hole, but sometimes its just to good to pass up!

Sorry dude. :lol:
beachball6
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by beachball6 »

vdubsinjensen wrote:Welcome to the STF,and sorry to hear you got boned by GEX.Did you get the displeasure of talking to Otis,the warrantee guy at GEX? If I lived within driving distance of them,I would have been tossing junk cylinder heads and pistons(theirs) through their front windows.I went around with those &*#holes for over a month to get reimbursed for a warrantee on a customers motor.I kept a VERY accurate phone/mail record of my contact with them,and had to threaten them with legal action before I got any positive results from them.I've even tried to talk with the owner of the place,and that only got me numerous hang-ups (and laughed at)on the phone.Since then,I've tried to make sure no one else gets burned by them.Spread the word! Paul

every single time i hear that story im shocked.
shawn
ck85abc
Posts: 902
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ck85abc »

I know I spelt it wrong. Didn't feel like looking it up though.

If I remember correctly CB performance has a large color add. I don't think they rip people off.
User avatar
Travis S
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Travis S »

Also cip1.com has large color adds and they have great stuff for good prices
Post Reply