Audi S3 225 bhp motor Mid mounted

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
User avatar
John Kelly
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Audi S3 225 bhp motor Mid mounted

Post by John Kelly »

Nice job,

I got just back from a guy's shop (John Walker) that is building a mid engine 911 powered fenderless volksrod with full custom suspension. I'll try to get some pictures in the future.

I'll be building a mid-engine Ghia.

Maybe we will need our own forum (insert smily emoticon)

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User avatar
Shadowbug
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:01 am

Audi S3 225 bhp motor Mid mounted

Post by Shadowbug »

Way cool. I've thought of building my own tube framed sports car using a similar setup.

I used to build boats so I know my fibreglass still need to bone up on my welding.
User avatar
Bobtail
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Audi S3 225 bhp motor Mid mounted

Post by Bobtail »

Quick update, the rear strut mounts have been canned for a much smaller simpler design.The front end will not be Mk2 golf,Maybe torsion or strut with bespoke arms .Golf stuff was just too wide.

The Bug is at Jon Rathbones workshop getting the cage and rear suspension mounts fitted and should be finished there by Tuesday,Ill post pics as soon as.........Youll be very impressed!!

------------------
www.centralvwaudi.com
User avatar
Bobtail
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Audi S3 225 bhp motor Mid mounted

Post by Bobtail »

Well I wasn't disappointed what a top job by Mr Rathbone! www.jonrathboneracing.co.uk

Image



[This message has been edited by Bobtail (edited 03-08-2003).]
User avatar
Bobtail
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Bobtail »

Image

Image

latest pics just in, Now we're cookin' :D
User avatar
Bobtail
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Bobtail »

more pics in the pipeline
User avatar
miller
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:01 am

Post by miller »

I even have plans for a nmid engine converted ghia. The main thing is trying to find a way to shift a ford T5 tranny so I can get a good 5-speed withought having to go berg or porsche. Of coarse this will slwo require making a new double a-arm suspension but i guess that just the sacrafice im gonna have to make. Muhhahaaa
User avatar
Shadowbug
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Shadowbug »

If you're planning on mid engined but don't want porsche or berg for a 5 speed, take a look at an Audi 5000 tranny, it will take lots of torque (v12 have been fitted to them) and is the choice for many mid engine exotic replicas, and porsche has used them on the 944 with great success
Guest

EEEEEETS ALIVE!!!!

Post by Guest »

Well, I finally got the the donor car for the subframe and transitional motor for my version of the 1.8t conversion. It ran great, that is until I washed the engine, now its running only on a couple of cylinders, but I'll get it squared away.

[/img]http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/1.8t_Conversion.html
User avatar
Bobtail
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Bobtail »

Oops :oops: :lol:
Guest

Post by Guest »

She's all good again. I changed the link too and added a mockup pic....

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/1.html
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

No Turning Back

Post by volkdent »

Well, the damage is now done. The whole floor behind the rear seat is gone, the frame horns are cut off, I've welded(Very Roughly!) a reference frame that I can set the K member in place with. I'm not spending a lot of time on small details right now, as this will be the preview for the real thing on a better pan. I'm not sure how much of the GTI I will use, but it is an excellent reference point right now as I muddle through the 3 main engine mounting points.

Jason
Yaninnya
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:09 am

Re: Audi S3 225 bhp motor Mid mounted

Post by Yaninnya »

Bobtail wrote:there is a company in Poland which makes a sequential shifter conversion
It is sad but this company is in Czech. :wink:
User avatar
Bobtail
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Bobtail »

Oops my bad I thought it was Poland because thats where the most intelligent eastern block folks come from :lol:
Guest

Post by Guest »

Hey Paul,

I've got a line on a Porsche Boxter complete shift mechanism as well as 02J cables for $150, do you think it will work out ok if I use an 02J or 02M tranny in this reverse config.?

Jason
Post Reply