Page 3 of 5

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:11 pm
by Callum
You mean have the balls to loose my job for revealing privileged information.Just a word of warning to help the VW guys out and steer Massive t4 in the right direction.Autolinea were responsible for the early 044 head problems with seats falling out which gave the 044 head a bad name to this day.If someone independant does tests and they turn out bad they can spread the word and the guilty importers will be stuck with their product and not the VW people. Brains and balls size are inversely proportional-James 2 your balls must be the size of water melons.

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:22 pm
by James2
You say you have privaliged inside information, how do I know? You could be some vender with a truck load of the old mag cases.

It's easy to be critical when your hiding behind your computer screen.

Also beaware that this board logs your IP. With a little research I could bust you, so try to be a little nicer. I have a good idea of who you are already.


<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Callum:
You mean have the balls to loose my job for revealing privileged information.Just a word of warning to help the VW guys out and steer Massive t4 in the right direction.Autolinea were responsible for the early 044 head problems with seats falling out which gave the 044 head a bad name to this day.If someone independant does tests and they turn out bad they can spread the word and the guilty importers will be stuck with their product and not the VW people. Brains and balls size are inversely proportional-James 2 your balls must be the size of water melons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>



[This message has been edited by James2 (edited 03-10-2002).]

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:32 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Trust me, everything I look at for the first time is guilty until proven innnocent, I will check it all to hell, and try my best to break it.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:35 pm
by Jocko
I just thought it a bit ironic that the E-bay auction advertised the case to be "alloy" - woo hoo dilly!

Alloy (in other words): a mixture of two metals...BFD! These guys must be on to something. Maybe it is not really aluminium (since Al is not an alloy)- maybe its Brass! - that's an alloy, and just think when the case melts down you could cast it into a new mailbox!

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:45 pm
by Matt Harris
Jake,

I see it's been 6 days since you ordered your case. Have you been able to mike it death yet. I'm really intereseted to hear what your thought of it are.

------------------
Matt Harris
78 x 90.5
2007cc
1971 Super

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:30 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
I have it here, but now have no time to go at it.

I just received the parts needed to finish a pair of engines, then I have 4 to dyno..when that is done, out conmes the red sharpie and about 15 mikes, calipers and parallels.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:48 am
by stealth67vw
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jocko:

Alloy (in other words): a mixture of two metals...BFD! These guys must be on to something. Maybe it is not really aluminium (since Al is not an alloy)- maybe its Brass! - that's an alloy, and just think when the case melts down you could cast it into a new mailbox![/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I work for an aluminum processor and 99% of all aluminum is an alloy! 6061 aluminum is silcon, iron, manganese, magnesium, chromium, zinc, titanium and a few others. Pure aluminum is actually rare and is extremely soft like gold. The Royal Crown Jewels are pure aluminum! Who would of thought?

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:50 am
by James2
Aluminum at one time was more valuable then Gold.

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:38 pm
by Matt Harris
OK Jake, thanks allot. I'm really looking forward to your results.

------------------
Matt Harris
78 x 90.5
2007cc
1971 Super

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:45 pm
by Jocko
Well I guess I am not a metallurgist after all - I thought pure aluminum was brittle and hard by nature - oh well!

Maybe I should stick to my job as a Janitor...But I still want a brass engine case...

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:43 pm
by Tom Notch
Boeing Aircraft aluminun skin panels (commercial aircraft)have about a .010 pure alum. cladding to reduce corrosion and as a side bennefit, to get the really nice polished skins like you see on American Airlines planes and a few others. That is the only use of pure alum. that I am aware of.

In olden times, aluminun was so expensive due to the almost impossible smelting of it from ore back then. Electrity changed that, cheap hydro power that is.

------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:12 pm
by stealth67vw
The new Boeing 767-400 uses polished Alcoa 6013 alloy. Major alloying metals for 6000 series alloys is magnesium and silicon. I'm not sure the exact amount but 6061 uses about 2% magnesium and 1% silicon. I'm not sure about .010 cladding either, the aluminum standards and data book won't tell me things like that.

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:22 pm
by Tom Notch
I'll pull the spec dwg. at work. Its a B#$%h when somebody scratches thru the clad. Customers get a bit upset and so do the warranty people at contracts!

------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:43 pm
by max, Der Bahnstormerz
My '52 had an aluminium case from the factory, exactly the same mould as the magnesium '53 thru '60 cases. Image)

New TI case (Aluminum)

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:02 am
by Empified
OK so where are we on the new cases? Has Massive type 4 succeeded in breaking in the new case literally? Are the manufacturers going to fix the problems? Anyone, Anyone? Guess I'll just get my internals balanced via Jake and his new toy with popcorn button. Damn I hope we get most of the problems with the case figured out soon. There's no snow and it's warming up. Empified.........

------------------
If you've got Empi you've got game!!!!
No fat chicks allowed my bug will scrape!!!!