200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Wally »

Its a multirip Kalle, so no choice there.. and its a multirip because with V-groove there wasn;t a V-groove pulley for dry-sump (extra-extra small) with this trigger set-up. Not on short notice however. So, I agree with you of course, but it is what it is for now.
It did come with a large upper pulley though 😊
And I use the smaller diameter fan 😎 to minimize power loss.
User avatar
Kalle
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Kalle »

Wally wrote: ↑Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:09 am Its a multirip Kalle, so no choice there.. and its a multirip because with V-groove there wasn;t a V-groove pulley for dry-sump (extra-extra small) with this trigger set-up. Not on short notice however. So, I agree with you of course, but it is what it is for now.
It did come with a large upper pulley though 😊
And I use the smaller diameter fan 😎 to minimize power loss.
I hear you... I believe I have a couple of V groove pulleys laying around but they are packed away and it will be difficult to find them right now unfortunately. I like my fanbelt really loose and I have never lost a belt or ripped one. And of course.. the old school way is to remove every second blade on the fan.

-BB-
Last edited by Kalle on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
buguy
Posts: 6209
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:53 pm

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by buguy »

Interesting. I keep mine super tight because i hate that flopping around. I don't spin 8000 rpms either though. Yet!
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Wally »

Kalle wrote: ↑Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:12 am
And here is a short video of it in action:

http://youtu.be/BPdm51QwZEw

-K-
Jeezz! Never even knew there was an engine to hit 20K, Wow! The tone differences with each 1K RPM more is wicked.
Thanks for that, goosebumps!

Shortenend the fan housing 20mm per side today. With the aftermarket 30hp shrouds its easier and I think I get the hang of it as this is my second one :lol:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
MegaRookie
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by MegaRookie »

Nice update Wally! In this speed I am sure you will be finished in time in 2 weeks!
Kalle wrote: ↑Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:14 am And of course.. the old school way is to remove every second blade on the fan.

-BB-
@Kalle, never heard about that mod before! Is it to have less restriction in the air flow at high rpm?
User avatar
Kalle
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Kalle »

MegaRookie wrote: ↑Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:19 am Nice update Wally! In this speed I am sure you will be finished in time in 2 weeks!
Kalle wrote: ↑Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:14 am And of course.. the old school way is to remove every second blade on the fan.

-BB-
@Kalle, never heard about that mod before! Is it to have less restriction in the air flow at high rpm?
Less drag = more HP. This trick was, to my knowlegde, first used in rallycross.

-K-
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Wally »

Image

I needed to shorten cooling shroud and header pipes 40mm in total!
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
brewsy
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by brewsy »

Come on then Wally.
Its been over a week now....

How did it go???
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Wally »

Dyno Day is actually coming saturday 5th September, so no results yet, sorry!
Tuning goes as planned though and its still in one piece :lol:

Image
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
User avatar
MegaRookie
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by MegaRookie »

Very nice looking and good to hear that it is still in 1 piece! :D

Good luck tomorrow and I look forward seeing some results!

Mark
User avatar
Kalle
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Kalle »

Keep us updated and remember that absolutely no one remembers a coward to keep that pedal to the metal :D

Good luck!

Best rgs
Kalle
split1950
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by split1950 »

Kalle wrote: ↑Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:12 am Keep us updated and remember that absolutely no one remembers a coward to keep that pedal to the metal :D

Good luck!

Best rgs
Kalle
I second that - GO BIG OR GO HOME!!
I'm sure you will do the former.
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Wally »

The 410km drive to the site went well. It doesn’t want to rev particularly well, but we’ll see tomorrow. It feels like 50hp Max ...
Good turnout at our guest Privat house (tnx Markus) for tonight. Including the twin turbo 1200 from Lars and the compound turbo in the Fiat 850 (1641).
Will be a good day anyhow 😊
User avatar
Kalle
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Kalle »

Wally wrote: ↑Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:37 am It feels like 50hp Max ... 😊
Hmmmm.... where did I stash that nitrous bottle?

Good luck today.

-K-
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Post by Wally »



Well, it still made 91hp! I was obviously very pleased with that!
When I know all results of the others, I post it up.
Some crazy Berliner made 250hp from a 1300cc!
Post Reply