1914 turbo bug

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Website??? get out in the garage and get the car finished. We need pictures!
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

Well... got my website sorted - not finished at all but at least in a reasonable state (bit of a panic rush job too)

http://www.elshamhallvw.com/ if anyone's interested.


More importantly I got down to my local rolling road on friday afternoon to set up my new intake. I'd wound the boost right down and added plenty of fuel into the map and very tentitively crawled the 10 miles to the garage. On the rollers, we found all my old problems coming back to haunt me. Issues with the crank sensor pickup and a 'notchy' throttle meant that it was nearly impossible to do any mapping - the operator was having real trouble keeping it in the table cells and in the end, we gave up :-(

I called down again on Saturday and pulled the engine to bits in the car park (like you do) and checked a few things.

Ran the new £52 (new to me :oops: ) 440 cc injectors through their ASNU injector cleaner / checker and they were fine. There's a slight variation in spray patters but good enough for me (love you ebay).

We then looked in detail at the crank sensor and ran a few software tests. At the end of the day, although it looks pretty, it isn't good enough - so I'm going to have to source another one, that'll fit behind my VW Speedshop pulley and do a better job of reading the trigger wheel.

Last thing we covered was the throttle setup. The 'swan neck' I'd introduced into the fan shroud is creating too much drag and there's too much movement in my silicon tube mounted throttlebody - both making driving and mapping a nightmare. I'm going to buy a long 3m throttle cable and run it through the original tube through the shroud - then I'm going to run it in as a sheafed cable around the engine bay and back up to the (rotated) throttlebody, through a bracked fixed to the throttlebody itself. Thus allowing the throttlebody to move a bit without messing up a silky smooth throttle action.

Bad news is that I'm most definately not going to have the car ready for it's debut at my once yearly 'Beetles vs Minis' event at our local drag strip..... :-(

bit sad really - I really want at least a second off my time and I'm sure I'm going to be able to do it.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
andy198712
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by andy198712 »

Sorry to hear that bud!

at least it gives you a year to iron out the creases!

are you running the stock VWspeedshop sensor? whats the computer saying is wrong? i'd drop VWSP an email, or bell, could be duff sensor or needs a tweak maybe? too much clearance?
User avatar
Dan Dryden
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Dan Dryden »

I think you should give yourself a new goal.......

13th July - London Volksfest @ North Weald Airfield.

I'll see you there! :wink:
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Bad times. Im hoping you still come along. Will be worth it to lqugh at me attempting the strip for the first time.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

Well, sadly I'm definately not competing at York :( though I'll be there.

We're very nearly there.... but still have the mapping to go, so no way.

Anyway, here it is..

Image

We've secured the single throttlebody to the fan shroud, with a healthy chunk of alloy..

Image

I'll tidy everything up once I'm up and running.


I'm pretty sure it was a duff sensor Andy. We've never been able to get a decent signal out of it, and the rolling road guys always moaned about it. Paul gave me a few bits of decent advice re earths and EMI, which I put in place, but couldn't really tell any results until it came back to Vesseys garage.... and they decided to bin iot and replace it with a different one.

To be fair, they'd wanted to do it a few times and I maybe should have got another one from Paul @VWSpeedshop... but I left it a bit late..... 3 years :roll: Still highly rate Pauls stuff.

I've ditched the modefied throttle tube and the old pro's at Vesseys immediately sussed another inch of travel by flaring the front of the throttle conduit and modefying the 'ski run' on the throttle pedal itself. ( ski run... just made that up!) so now a roller throttle tube would definately help Volksbugly!

So... where was I. Replaced the sensor with a new magneti marelli crank sensor that despite being a bit bigger, fitted under my pulley neatly. A quick oscellation test on the ECU and streight away we could see we were on a winner.... perfect trace :D and it also looked like it's been 7 degrees out since day one too.... not as bad as it sounds as the car was set up on the rolling road - not set up by numbers! but its got to make a difference.

feel a bit amateurish.. but happy.

North Weald Airfield... who knows, maybe Dan, depends if they can sort the fuel ap to give me a reasonable mpg :? Noticed your yellow monster in an advert for Apex... it gets everywhere! are you Southerners short of dubs?

I might even get down to Cornwall ( Andy... your domain isn't it ) ... my brother lives and works in Truro.


Paul... look out for a fat bald bloke with a little pointy goatee type thing going on.... shout 'Barrie' and see if its me! my bleedin iphone is still bust - mainly due to heavy investment on my son's 18th birthday party... tonight!!!! aaaagh, house full of drunk teens later....

luckily the bug s still at the rolling road :wink:
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
andy198712
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by andy198712 »

TB looks like it'll be solid now! neat cable attachment too!

glad things are on the up now!

Yep sure is, i'm about 30 mins from Truro but if you do head down, drop me a PM :)


head phones in tonight then! good luck :lol:
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Barrie,
I will seek you out. im going to be in a 65 bahama blue bug. nervously working out how to get it down the strip.

Such a shame you couldnt get it mapped up to be there. Its looking real good and I cant wait to pick your brains tomorrow.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

Good day today, though a real shame I couldn't take my bug down the track.

Here's Boardpaul's tidy blue bug...

Image


and
Image

Nice to meet you both ;-)
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
andy198712
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by andy198712 »

cool bug! love the look of the front wheels!
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Nice pics Barrie! cracking to meet you today. Safe to say ive got the bug as im off back again tomorrow.

Time to get your thread back on track and your car. Let us know how your mapping gets on.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

:oops: I haven't posted for so long, I've forgotten where I was.


Anyway....

Still back on the road again with my sexy new manifolds and its starting to run a little better. I've reworked the mapping, with a little help from my tuners, but as per usual I think there's more to come. I'm way too retarded lower down the rev range, not getting anywhere near full advance until 2750rpm and I'm beginning to think this is adding to a few heat problems I'm seeing.

Oil temps sit between 95c and 105c most of the time, that's 203-221f to you Americans. I think it's a bit hot really so I've had a little binge on cooling. A lucky ebay buy netted me a load of aluminium shielding, which I've used to shield my inlet. I've also re wrapped the manifold in fibreglass wrap - despite the damage it did last time. I've also got hold of a turbo blanket / turbo hat.

Image


Managed to get back to watch BoardPaul at York drag strip again and got caught up in all the excitment ;-) like you do. Managed to take half a second off my quarter mile time. Now 14.41 @ 97, which is better.... though 13.something would be better still...

Image

Did consider loosing a bit of weight...... not for long though.

Decided to turn the boost up a little on the dawes valve between runs. It went 8psi..... 9psi..... 9psi..... 9psi..... 14psi! typical! Did run well though until it blew another hole in my chocolate exhaust

Image

Never mind....
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Baz,
If you stop with all the ebay "bargains" you could afford an exhaust ;)
I think this is your main issue that you need to sort. 2 weeks of good running before having to fix it will get annoying quickly.

Keep at it though and come and compete at next event. Im gonna buy a trailer and stuff so be good.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

And we're back...


At last! I've been able to buy a new exhaust. Bit of a mix od stainless and mild, but it's solid and until it rots, it aint gonna leak.

I think the nicest bit is the wastegate coming off the collector.

Image

I've also been able to resell my existing exhaust and the few new bits I didn't need - giving me a total cost of around £230 :-)
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Come on Baz, must be more on this now? it it located in its new home?
Post Reply