But another possibility is clutch slip. Jus' sayin'
CopperBaja's Baja
- Skidmark
- Posts: 3509
- Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
I like the wheel spin theory...
But another possibility is clutch slip. Jus' sayin'
But another possibility is clutch slip. Jus' sayin'
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)
It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)
It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
- Big Dave
- Posts: 3208
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Depending on how steep and loose the hill is, there will be times that you won't make it up stuff a 4x4 can. Its usually pretty rare, but it does happen where the 4x4 makes it look easy and a baja won't make it. There are also times when a baja makes it up stuff a 4x4 can't, usually when things are really washed or rutted out, or there are diff-hanger obstacles they can't drive around.
Usually when I hill climb, I go in 1st gear, wind it up and keep the RPMs at around 5K...just let off if the tires catch air. The problem with this method is if the tires are spinning on loose gravel and then suddenly catch a solid patch, expensive stuff tends to break quickly, so be careful.
Usually when I hill climb, I go in 1st gear, wind it up and keep the RPMs at around 5K...just let off if the tires catch air. The problem with this method is if the tires are spinning on loose gravel and then suddenly catch a solid patch, expensive stuff tends to break quickly, so be careful.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
- Skidmark
- Posts: 3509
- Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Torque and momentum - there is a sweet spot between wheel spin and speed that will keep your momentum going. Too much spin, and not enough speed are both deal killers. I really love the low end torque in my car. It continues to surprise and impress me on runs where rocky hill climbing is needed. But I still screw it up every now and again with poor technique/bad lines. Hill climbing is a lot of fun, but it can also be one of the more dangerous aspects of off road.
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)
It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)
It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
- dezertdiablo
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Copper, I think I might have sunday open. Sat I am going riding (mx).... what did you have in mind to do? Let me know. The following sat we are going for a day drive in OW ... git r dun and maybe join us?
- petew
- Posts: 3928
- Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:05 pm
- CopperBaja
- Posts: 5329
- Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Thanks to some help from dezertdiablo, my cage is now tied into my framehorns. One less thing to worry about.
Thanks Josh!
pics later...very busy weekend...
pics later...very busy weekend...
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
- dezertdiablo
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
No problem Copper (Jeff)
Glad it was easy.
btw... I think we did make a little headway on those other issues ... like the front camber issue... too bad its such a pita to check it...
I was thinking that the spindles have 2* built into them (1/2-1600 - short course spindles) and going by the table to adjust camber is gonna make things worse.
Glad it was easy.
btw... I think we did make a little headway on those other issues ... like the front camber issue... too bad its such a pita to check it...
I was thinking that the spindles have 2* built into them (1/2-1600 - short course spindles) and going by the table to adjust camber is gonna make things worse.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Super cool of Josh coming over and helping, super cool!CopperBaja wrote:Thanks to some help from dezertdiablo, my cage is now tied into my framehorns. One less thing to worry about.Thanks Josh!
pics later...very busy weekend...
- CopperBaja
- Posts: 5329
- Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
- CopperBaja
- Posts: 5329
- Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
- Big Dave
- Posts: 3208
- Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Looks good. Just a thought though, in my research, it seems that some of the cars where people that braced their frame horns like that, developed cracks in the frame horns just behind where the brace is welded to it.CopperBaja wrote:
It seems that when you keep the frame horns from flexing, the only place left for it to flex is in the last inch or two of the horn and cracks can develop. Apparently, the flexing of the stock frame horns acted like springs and let the engine bounce a bit so the shock load of the engine bouncing was spread out along the whole horn. I would suggest adding triangular gussets between the brace and the horn to prevent problems.
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Great suggestion Big Dave. For sure would help this out.Big Dave wrote:Looks good. Just a thought though, in my research, it seems that some of the cars where people that braced their frame horns like that, developed cracks in the frame horns just behind where the brace is welded to it.CopperBaja wrote:
It seems that when you keep the frame horns from flexing, the only place left for it to flex is in the last inch or two of the horn and cracks can develop. Apparently, the flexing of the stock frame horns acted like springs and let the engine bounce a bit so the shock load of the engine bouncing was spread out along the whole horn. I would suggest adding triangular gussets between the brace and the horn to prevent problems.
-
Ol'fogasaurus
- Posts: 17881
- Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Hmmm, I just had this same (or similar) discussion with ts39136 (http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=135033) I agree with Big Dave, that you need to do the support at the end of the pickle forks.
- CopperBaja
- Posts: 5329
- Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
I appreciate the input. Thanks Dave.Big Dave wrote:I would suggest adding triangular gussets between the brace and the horn to prevent problems.
Noted. I will add them next time I pull the engine. I have welded the seams which will provide a bit of extra support. I will need to pull the engine to get to the inside of the tubes anyhow. This was basically a case of opportunity and figured that for now it's better to have something so I don't worry about my framehorns every time I take it out.
Josh and I also talked about the future placement of a few more pounds of tubing.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
- dezertdiablo
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:35 pm
Re: CopperBaja's Baja
Dave, I think you are right about adding some type of gusset behind the added tube... guess Copper and I missed that, but... we really couldn't get to at that time b/c of the motor. So on round #2 we will address that... along with adding more weight aka adding more tube in areas that were "questionable".
