Clyde just completed a 2000mi round trip to the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina......... the 4 bbl howling as we ascended through the mountain passes.... Very rarely hit 3rd gear as long as i held my speed above 60.......... but when hung in traffic at a slower speed it had to drop down a gear... The new radiator made all the difference in 100 degree weather... my engine temps stayed around 190 degrees the whole trip....... even at 75-80 mph....
On the trip up i was averaging 19 mpg pulling the trailer loaded with camp supplies and firewood.... but my total trip average was 17mpg...... but that includes a lot of mountain driving and high speed runs on the interstate...... I usually drive 65mph but Clyde has long legs and likes to stretch out from time to time....
It was a great week at HCBF...... I got there early on Wednesday morning but there were already 36 busses there .............. I found a nice spot in the primitive camping area to setup........ things got crowded by Friday afternoon ........... Busses were stacking up on every available piece of grass...
I went on a couple of river canoe trips while there....... we loaded up in a couple trucks and busses and went upstream for a 3 hour canoe trip down through some rapids and beautiful areas...
We had approx.. 176 Busses camping at this river......... Nestled in the mountains of Crumpler , North Carolina on the New River...... park on the water.... drop the canoe..... bust open some cold drinks and relax for 5 days..................... that's what i did...
.... I made it home on the 2000 mile round trip without a hitch.... Clyde had a couple of little electrical hiccups but didn't miss a beat on the drive home Via Lynchburg, Tenn..... I had to restock up on "Jack" ....
It is every year ...... here is next years page already...
http://www.highcountrybusfestival.com/Welcome.html
My camera took a bath in the river the second day's canoe trip there so i don't have many more pics.................. I think it's a gonner ....... LOL
