2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Nice job Vortecvwcamper ...... Thanks for the props...... :D . this was my first conversion of this type..... I know i would do some things different now but the thing still works well and i've been having fun with it..... that's the key goal....... I want to switch over to Fuel Injection but haven't come up with the motivation yet..... :(

I need to improve my cooling solution as it works ok but i'd like to have overkill it a bit...... I average 210-215 degrees on hot days........ would love to drop to 200 or below ..... I may get a aluminum racing rad built for it.... :?

I've logged about 8000 miles so far and more to come.... I do think i blew the rear main seal though so it has to come out for a repair soon..... It leaks only a neusance leak..... like a couple of ounces every 500 miles...

I took a trip last month and was cruising about 80 mph pulling my trailer and had little speck on the back..... probably shouldn't of pushed it like that but i was ready to get home...... long day... :)

Image

Image
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
iambeeman
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Post by iambeeman »

Just finished reading your thread, that is one stunning bit of work!!!

thanks for the documentation.
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Thanks, Clyde's a lot of fun........... 8)
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Here are a few pics from our camping trip through the Ozarks.... I logged 840 miles on this trip........ My mileage was 19.6 mpg pulling my trailer through the mountains.... 8)
Magazine Mtn, Ark, ......Very Scenic.very nice nice trails to hike and beautiful Vistas.... "RV" type campsites.... Very Steep road going up the mountain......

White Rock Mtn, Ark, .... cool breezy mountain top campsites, "Primitive" campsites... only water........ nothing else there.... Super steep road up the mountain.....at least a 30+ degree grade for several miles....... Clyde had to rest going up this one...... Twice... my water temps went to 240 degrees due to having to drive in 1st-2nd gear on the steep gravel hill and no breeze in 90+ degree weather :shock: , slow going for a while...... Coming down was fun too..... :D

Winding Stairs Okla,.......Beautiful campground on the Talimena Pkwy........ Many steep ups and downs on this highway.....fun drive.... :lol: Clyde did fine on this highway

Had some problems with Clyde (not wanting to run faster than 40mph) while going to our last day in the Quachita National forest in Arkansas....... so decided to turn home before things got ugly........ they did in Ashdown Arkansas......... after some troubleshooting i found the fuel filter had clogged from some trashy gas on the trip i guess.... I replaced the filter and all was well..... we made it home... :)

Image

Image

Image

Image
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Clyde proved his worth the other day.......... A buddy of mine blew his engine and needed a tow.......... so i showed up in Clyde with my bus towbar.............. Looked funny but man he didn't even blink towing that camper........... I really love that i did this conversion..... 8)

Oh.... i also kind of got in a race with a new tuned up Cobalt ......... I had him until i hit 3rd gear........ Clyde's 4barrel was howling........ :lol:

Image
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
itlives
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Post by itlives »

Thanks for the tow fastmc!
Got me to looking at a conversion for my wife's '77 Westy. Now, all I need is for the gas company to buy a piece of my land! (They're looking)
Funds, funds, funds!!
WestyPop
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 11:26 am

Post by WestyPop »

[b]itlives[/b] wrote:... Funds, funds, funds!!
Yeah, got that for sure.

Hey, Paul... you've made Clyde into a real inspiration, even to those of us who are having to take on the conversion project(s) a little slower. Thanks.
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Thanks WestyPop

I'll be helping ItLives with his conversion soon......... He's ready for liquid heat and no worries on his wifes Westy....... :lol:
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

I've been contemplating upgrading the radiator..... I feel i need more cooling down here in Louisiana...... After some research i've found a possible substitute for the Dodge Caravan radiator.... this one is from a 64-65 Ford Mustang.... it's a nice size that will fit between the front frame rails..... :) and being all aluminum .... it will expend heat more efficiently... 8)

Core Size (in) approx: H16-1/2" x W16 -7/8"x T2-1/4" - 3 Rows.
Overall size(in) approx: H21-1/8"xW17-3/8" xT2-1/2"
Inlet/Outlet: Φ1-1/2"/Φ1-3/4"
Core and Tank: ALL ALUMINUM
Weight (lbs) approx: 11.66

Image

I'm thinking about this one hard........ :lol:
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

I just bought the radiator....... hope to have it by next week....... I may take it down to a local rad shop and get the inlet and outlet downsized to 1-1/4" or something close....... ... I had another after project revelation with the radiator........... On the next project i'm getting the radiator mount panel from a 65 mustang and weld it in the nose....... finished off it will look factory radiator installed...... :D

Wish i would of done it on Clyde... :roll:
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Clyde has new shoes now.......... just put them on today..... They are Vanagon "Carat" wheels from GoWesty.com ........ No more wheel adapters and the front tires don't rub as much.... I love the way they look.... 8)

Image

Image
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
chazz79
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Post by chazz79 »

Those look alot better, what are they? Audi allroad knockoffs?
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

chazz79 wrote:Those look alot better, what are they? Audi allroad knockoffs?
Thanks, They are 15 x 6.5" Factory VW Vanagon "Carat" wheels.......... Not available here in the US .... GoWesty just got a few sets in and have them offered here in the states...... I even got to break the seal on the Vw boxes.... 8)
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
User avatar
fastmc25
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 12:01 am

Post by fastmc25 »

Clyde went camping this weekend at a regional Vw Bus campout called " Transporters at the Point.... It was in Temple Texas on Lake Belton.......

It was cold and rainey but Clyde made the trip much better with great traction and warm heat.... 8)

Enjoy:



Image

Image

Image

Image
Peace,

Paul

1973 Adventurewagen (AKA Clyde) V6 powered
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine)

www.fullmoonbusclub.com
www.arklatexvwclub.com
www.lovemybus.com
hightop69
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:03 am

Re: 2.8L Chevy Adventurewagen

Post by hightop69 »

I’d like to thank you for posting your conversion project with Clyde. It has given me inspiration and some ideas to do a conversion to my bus.
Post Reply