It will work fine until it dies and/or melts your wiring harness, possibly setting your car on fire.
...Or spend the $5 for the ballast, following the instructions that come with both the coil AND the ignition.
It's your car...
airdreams1 wrote:sorry if this seems like a thread jack..........
I have run the 3 Ohm Flame Thrower for several thousand miles & never put in a ballast resistor. (its the one meant for off road & can handle the vibration) I also have the 009 w/electronic Ignitor, 8mm wires, & bosh plugs. & still no problems. (have had the same setup on 2 other bugs in the past as well.)
Also I have done he exact same swap for several other VW owners & they havent had a single problem yet. (Many of them put 10 to 15k miles a year on there cars)
The only recomindation I have is to use a drop of adheasive to hold the wires to the inside of the dizzy. I had one wire get pulled & rub the pick-up, thus rubbing a hole in the wire insolation.....
So I dont see the ballast resistor as a nessacery part. But i could be wrong....
Oh & all the cars were 12 volt or converted to 12 volt with new wireing (except mine. its 12v, but still has the orignal wiring.)

