Air to H2O heads?
- MnMike
- Posts: 123
- Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:16 pm
Ther is a pic in the air cooled vw interchange manual by Keith Seume on page 51. Or maybe locate Martin Taylor out of the UK? Think he hangs out in the forced induction forum? He has that crazy split that was featured in one of the vw mags, and that full tilt Fiat 600 with a pauter case? It had 910 heads with a water jacket, just weld a piece of sheet aluminum around the fins all the way around the head, and weld some bulkhead fittings on each end, or top and bottom. Come to think of it maybe you could use convection to route the water, no pump, like an antique ford 
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
This is cross posted from the Type4um, ast the thought started here, and this seems to be on-topic in this thread.
OK, this has me going again... I have a very low mile 1835 with a stock 4 doweled crank, new stock heads, and a BP 4063 cam in dry storage... (which is about the most useless combo I can think of---I didn't build it, nor do I own a vehicle I would put it in as-is)
Will an AS41 block have room to relocate the studs TO WBX locations?
I'm thinking modded T3 cooling (for the jugs) and wasser heads, water cooled, and a Miller Cycle cam profile... I even have some ugly cracked 2.1 heads... but OK for an experiment.
I'll stick the small rad (possibly a chargecooler too) in the fan intake.
As T1s to me are cheap/disposable motors, and this particular scenario would use mostly parts on hand already save for some AA 94s and a custom ground cam.. the above scenario doesn't make me queasy in the least. I might even spring for a CW crank and some SCAT I-beams...
Can anyone suggest good cam timings and where to get a custom T1 cam ground? (for Miller Cycle, add 70-90 degrees to the intake close event)
OK, what would you CALL a T1 with T3 cooling and WC WBX heads?
A Type1.666?
I'm cross posting this over on the WBX forum.
OK, this has me going again... I have a very low mile 1835 with a stock 4 doweled crank, new stock heads, and a BP 4063 cam in dry storage... (which is about the most useless combo I can think of---I didn't build it, nor do I own a vehicle I would put it in as-is)
Will an AS41 block have room to relocate the studs TO WBX locations?
I'm thinking modded T3 cooling (for the jugs) and wasser heads, water cooled, and a Miller Cycle cam profile... I even have some ugly cracked 2.1 heads... but OK for an experiment.
I'll stick the small rad (possibly a chargecooler too) in the fan intake.
As T1s to me are cheap/disposable motors, and this particular scenario would use mostly parts on hand already save for some AA 94s and a custom ground cam.. the above scenario doesn't make me queasy in the least. I might even spring for a CW crank and some SCAT I-beams...
Can anyone suggest good cam timings and where to get a custom T1 cam ground? (for Miller Cycle, add 70-90 degrees to the intake close event)
OK, what would you CALL a T1 with T3 cooling and WC WBX heads?
A Type1.666?
I'm cross posting this over on the WBX forum.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
Joe vw
- Posts: 770
- Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2001 12:01 am
I too thought about this.
The wasser head seems like a better candidate for super squish technology than an air-cooled T1.
The plug would have to angle toward the exhaust valve, a very small dome on the intake valve that ramps toward the exhaust valve and a small bowel under the exhaust valve. A prototype could be made by welding an old wasser or type-4 piston and then carefully profiling the dome and dish. Then make a chamber impression from clay using an old cylinder, piston and head. Send the piston to J&E to duplicate a (2 same 2-mirrored) set. Obviously this would be experimental with no guarantees. You may be able to consult Endyne with your project.
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/The%5 ... ad%5F1999/
The wasser head seems like a better candidate for super squish technology than an air-cooled T1.
The plug would have to angle toward the exhaust valve, a very small dome on the intake valve that ramps toward the exhaust valve and a small bowel under the exhaust valve. A prototype could be made by welding an old wasser or type-4 piston and then carefully profiling the dome and dish. Then make a chamber impression from clay using an old cylinder, piston and head. Send the piston to J&E to duplicate a (2 same 2-mirrored) set. Obviously this would be experimental with no guarantees. You may be able to consult Endyne with your project.
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/The%5 ... ad%5F1999/
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Actually if Endyns prices havent changed too drastically, they would be the cheap route...
They were pretty reasonable last I checked. (for custom pistons/rods)
They were pretty reasonable last I checked. (for custom pistons/rods)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
wbx
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
So they actually will work with VW stuff? From what I've read of their site, it seems that they only work with Hondas. What did you call them about before?Piledriver wrote:Actually if Endyns prices havent changed too drastically, they would be the cheap route...
They were pretty reasonable last I checked. (for custom pistons/rods)
-Damon
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
And SCAT T1 rods, rebushed as needed.farmer wrote:If it´s for a van/bus, why not just turbo the wbx ??? 160-180 hp is easy obtainable without sacrificing durability, along with loads of torque. Use factory pistons, or Gowesty´s quality ones.
T
It's probably going to be a MS controlled, blown, Miller cycle cammed, propane motor.
~19:1 CR (wasser heads/AA forged flattops) and only ~150HP is the target.
_I'm_ planning on putting it in the ressurrected old Pile 914, and if it goes well, My 88 Wolfie will need a rebuild one day...(254K miles, does not burn a drop of oil)
I can't find a wasser core around here to save my life, thus the thought of (ab)using a T1 bottom end for a prototype.
The dead Vanagons here have already been crushed it seems.
The folks who are still driving them around tend to be the hard-core types like us, the remaining Vanagons will likely never see a junkyard, barring a severe accident.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
wbx
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
Absolutely... a turbo is definitely in the works and is the end goal, but the idea was to update the combustion chamber with something more modern and efficient. Squishies let you run 10:1 (and more) while using a turbo, so you get beautiful driveability while still getting that trubo. Not to mention increased fuel economy, etc.farmer wrote:If it´s for a van/bus, why not just turbo the wbx ??? 160-180 hp is easy obtainable without sacrificing durability, along with loads of torque. Use factory pistons, or Gowesty´s quality ones.
T
Since i have an 82 stroke crank, i pretty much need to go with custom pistons anyway. Having talked with the Endyn people, it costs $350 for development work (need to loan them a head, and also a piston which won't come back), and then it is extra for the pistons. I would love to go this route, and will try to talk with aircooled.net on how to get this to happen.
However, the cheap solution is to just get wiseco or ross racing pistons to make up a custom set for around $500 (probably wiseco because they do the gowesty pistons and have all the data). I would just rather have a "better" piston design than stock...
-Damon
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
-
wbx
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
Cool. I'll probably be contacting him in about a month for the feasability of this. It is going to be much more expensive for me than a simple piston swap, as you need to change cams to work with squishy pistons, too... I still need to see if i can afford all thisfarmer wrote:If you can convince John to go into this, I´m in for a set too.
T.
Basically what i was going to offer him was fronting the development fee, and a deal on the first set of pistons, if i could get that development fee back after he sold his first 6 sets (recouping the costs).
And thanks for the offer Piledriver - i'll definitely let you guys know how it goes.
-
helowrench
- Posts: 1925
- Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:20 am
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Where do you think Aircooled.nets Squishies really come from? John C. did the same development thing awhile back.wbx wrote:So they actually will work with VW stuff? From what I've read of their site, it seems that they only work with Hondas. What did you call them about before?Piledriver wrote:Actually if Endyns prices havent changed too drastically, they would be the cheap route...
They were pretty reasonable last I checked. (for custom pistons/rods)
-Damon
Thus were born Squishies for ACVWs.
A wasser "squishie" would essentially.. be a flat top, maybe a small offset dish ONLY encompassing the plug and ex valve area, and MAYBE a tiny "dome" under the intake... Might not even be worth the effort to have the dome as there isn't much there there.
Hell, you need valve reliefs with just flat tops on stock wasser heads, as the edge of the intake valve sticks out of the chamber some even when closed.
Fortunately, little overlap is desired anyway...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
wbx
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
I've been thinking about this, and i don't see how i can afford to do this. New pistons+development fee+new cam+new lifters+new gasket kit+extras. Its well over a grand. I wish i had the money, but i just can't swing it.Piledriver wrote: Where do you think Aircooled.nets Squishies really come from? John C. did the same development thing awhile back.
Thus were born Squishies for ACVWs.
A wasser "squishie" would essentially.. be a flat top, maybe a small offset dish ONLY encompassing the plug and ex valve area, and MAYBE a tiny "dome" under the intake... Might not even be worth the effort to have the dome as there isn't much there there.
Hell, you need valve reliefs with just flat tops on stock wasser heads, as the edge of the intake valve sticks out of the chamber some even when closed.
Fortunately, little overlap is desired anyway...
-Damon
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
It would be appreciated!helowrench wrote:Pile, i know of a junkyard out near me that had a wbx vanagon in it, as best i could tell the engine (or at least most of the engine parts) were in the cabin.
It has been a ear or so, I just might have to do a driveby to see if it is still there.
Rob
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.