Page 2 of 2

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:36 am
by Bugzlife
Thank you for all the responses!
The welder I have,
it has 4 tempature settings low 1, low 2. high 1, and high 2.
the wire speed is the dial. Now, this is simular to the Hobart that has 4 settings instead of two switches.(over $100.00 more with no regulator)
I understand its(my welder is a POS), but its the abosolue best I could afford under my present situation, in fact I have built a low 13 second vw drag bug with-out a welder of my own, mostly using nuts and bolts, etc.
this was a jump for me.
I will be doing a very limited amount of welding.
I was going to buy the Kafer cup rear strut-tower engine support brace for $265.00, Instead I bought this welder, so I could make one of my own, and then weld up the door jams so the doors stop sagging, etc.
Thanks again

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:49 am
by bugninva
Bugzlife wrote:
I will be doing a very limited amount of welding.
LOL...you will do *alot* more welding than you think you will....there have been thousands of times you needed a welder and didn't know it....you will find many uses for it, and i think every auto enthusiast(whether it be restoring or racing, or just "fixing") should have a welder...they are a very valuable/versitle tool...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:22 am
by radiobirdman32
I built my sandrail, my baja and my mid travel FG buggy with a Millermatic 130 XP using only flux core wire. I was doin alot of decorative fences and gates at the time so I was almost always outside in windy conditions(which render gas ineffective) and I was also hauling it around all the time so no bottle and reg = less weight. I recently upgraded to a gas Miller 210 and it is nice in the shop and for heavier material but I still use the 130 alot. The 130 runs on a 20 amp 110 circuit and has steel or aluminum drive rollers. I've never had a problem with it and have probably run 40 rolls of wire through it. I agree on the autodark helmet and put a lambswool liner on the headstrap. A welder will open up all sorts of possibilities if you like building your own cars.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:25 am
by Bugzlife
I have been using the Welder more than I thought! I have a regualator but have only been using the flux core wire, seem to work ok for big guage stuff, as I can only get fluxcore wire in .30 and .35 size, for sheet metal I definatly need to go with solid core and gas .24 size.
next time I'd buy the HD100 by Lincoln

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:20 pm
by GjMan
I have the Lincoln Weld Pak 100, which is similar to yours--four heat settings and pretty broad wire speed range. It was flux when I bought it, but after struggling for a time, I spent the money on the gas attachment for it. I became an expert (well, practically) sheet metal welder overnight! Worth every penny.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:06 am
by Bugzlife
I'm getting better with the welder, it takes time to get the temp setting and arc working good with out burning through the metal.
my wire speed is between 2-4 but never higher I have no clue how you can use wire speed over 5 its just way to fast?
I have the gas hook up and will get a bottle one of these days
love the welder,
need a ground= solution weld a bolt to the frame, put on ground strap and tighen nut, (no more drilling holes!)

They work !!

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:14 pm
by snips77
just practice practice and practice...Ive welded plenty of vws back together with a flux core welder, yes they do spatter thats why you have a grinder, yes you cant weld thicker metal, thats when i break out my stick welder...go for it man, ive been using a welder i bought from harbor freight for 97 dollars done heater channels , lugage rack fire wall door post in a 68 and suicide doors on another...Good luck