Page 2 of 4

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:01 am
by Ross Morrison
Pipes carry fluids.........tubes carry loads. :D

Seriously, any tube with a welded seam is a no-no for chassis or cages.
ERW doesn't cut it over here.CDS2(cold drawn seamless) is a minimum.

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:28 pm
by racelook
SO... after 4 weeks of very busy with school. Today I got the chance to work on my bug..

Two "foots" are welded on the tube of the rollcage
Image

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 221239.jpg

Tube in the car. Looks damn nice!! ANd will be strong!!
Image

Image

http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 221106.jpg

Per "foot" the tube is mounted with 3 bolts on the welded in boxes.
Image

Looks nice, isn't it??

Greetings Wiebrand

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:24 pm
by Brian Murray
looks like a pretty sturdy mount.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:14 pm
by racelook
YO guys!!

Here an other update from the cage..

I used 40mm PVC-pipe to make an mold for bending the tube that goes from de A- to the B-pilar.
Image

From the front it looks like this.
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 195047.jpg

On this pic it is verry good to see how much different bendings there are in only 1 tube!!
Image

The steal tube is bend from the PVC-mold
Image

From the front
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 195521.jpg

Than we also welded some pieces of tube on the "mid-tube" so we can fix the just bended tubes to the "mid-tube". (it's just a bit difficult to explain in English, hope you understand)
Image

So now the 3 most difficult tubes of hole the cage are bend.. The rest wil folow.. but It looks damn nice at this moment!!

Wiebrand

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:24 pm
by tobiism
Looks great!

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:11 pm
by W. Larry Glick
I love that little red and black car in the background of one of the pictures! Isn't that a Citroen 2CV? And the roll cage looks good too!

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:15 pm
by racelook
W. Larry Glick wrote:I love that little red and black car in the background of one of the pictures! Isn't that a Citroen 2CV?
Yep it's a 2CV from an uncle of me..

Thanx for the reactions :D

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:27 pm
by dstar
W. Larry Glick wrote:I love that little red and black car in the background of one of the pictures! Isn't that a Citroen 2CV? And the roll cage looks good too!
Yea, they call them *ducks* over the pond.

I was watching the Worlds Strongest Men contest and those guys
were carrying one on shoulder straps!
:shock:

Don

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
by racelook
So another update from a week or 4 ago.. :oops:

A bracket is welded to the chassistunnel, so that the rollcage is also titend to the chassis
Image

An bracket is welded tot the rollcage at the B-pilar. THis will fix the cage to the chassistunnel
Image

SO will it look, when it all is finished
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 225000.jpg

Detailpic of it
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 225059.jpg

Two brackets welded at front
Image

Detailshot of one of the brackets
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos ... 225511.jpg

An bracket at the rear arces is in. On every bracket 3 tubes will come together.
Image

On the other side the bracket is also in
Image

This weekend i finally have some sparetime.. so there will be an update!!

Grt WIebrand

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:43 pm
by Brian Murray
:shock:

bitchen! I want one! lol

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:49 pm
by boredandstroked
I dont get all the red paint? Hte welds look very nice and the use of brackets is quite clever.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:38 pm
by bugboy696
That's a pretty nice job on the cage!!

Love the huge holes for the side ducts!!!! gonna be for a oil cooler or intercooler?

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:56 am
by coxy-ben
very good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:53 pm
by mike75bug
boredandstroked wrote:I dont get all the red paint? Hte welds look very nice and the use of brackets is quite clever.
I am guessing that it is a zinc-oxide paint for rustproofing. They use it here all the time because of the sea blast.
Dam at least you won't run out of beer:)
That is about how much beer I keep on ice in my jeep :lol:

PS: Before I get flamed that I shouldn't say such things in a public forum because "the fuzz" will be knockin' on my door, look at my location.

Mike

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:51 pm
by racelook
boredandstroked wrote:I dont get all the red paint?
That's just lead holding paint. I just paint as much as I can before i weld the boxes close. Just keeps the rust a way till I'll start prepping the car.

Wiebrand