Whoa, now that's an interesting idea. Got all kinds of tube laying around, and I have friends with a tube bender in their shop. Trouble is, that'd almost be like fabricating a car and I don't know if I could finish that before the summer ends.Marc wrote:The wheelbase is the same but that's where all similarities end. Since the Rabbit is unibody/Mac strut it must retain all of the front bay structure, and that wouldn't fit inside the lines of a Beetle. Now, you could build a tubeframe that would carry the Rabbit powertrain transversely behind the front seat (think of a Pontiac Fiero or Fiat X-1/9), that's been done, and drop the bug shell over it...be kinda noisy in diesel guise though.shbazjinkens wrote:... wonder how compatible the frames would be in consideration that maybe you could fit a Beetle body around it..
Fitting a diesel engine to an old bug
-
shbazjinkens
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:58 am
- Empified
- Posts: 517
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:01 am
I'd just buy a used TDI new beetle and save alot of headache. We've got a used one on our lot for less than 10G's. Probably as much as u'll invest in trying to rig up an old beetle properly with a diesel engine. Not to mention you could be driving it all summer long. A project of the magnitude you are looking at would require the normal human being to quit there day job and spend 80 hours a week for a couple of weeks atleast to accomplish that task in my opinion. Just a thought. Empified............
-
shbazjinkens
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:58 am
Indeed.. the more I read up on this the more expensive it looks. I really wish I didn't have to give up on this, but I may look to another diesel car. $10k isn't really in my price range, I'm still in college and I try to keep as much money zoned toward that as possible. With the stuff I know and recourses I have fixing up an interior and repainting aren't going to be a problem or a heavy expense, but buying adapters, rebuild kits and etc. adds up quickly. Getting a MB or Rabbit is looking a lot more appealing.. though it'd be nice to afford a Bug.Empified wrote:I'd just buy a used TDI new beetle and save alot of headache.
-
74 Bug
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:42 am
I remember reading that Porsche was hired by VW to try to turn out a Diesel bug, sometime early 50's, I don't remember the exact details but my impression was the stock engine was able to handle it with a different fuel pump. It was able to run cool enough. The project was abandoned because of sluggish acceleration and the noise and vibration.
Can't remember if it was a paper article or a website.
Just thought I would throw that out for discussion.
Can't remember if it was a paper article or a website.
Just thought I would throw that out for discussion.
-
shbazjinkens
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:58 am
I wouldn't really want to get into that. Read this first:
http://www.otherpower.com/cgi-bin/webbb ... ;read=7499
Beside that, you have problems like viscosity (bio-diesel is made from vegetable oil, which solidifies at low temperatures, and is still thick with additives that prevent that, so a glow-plug is required without computer control).
A Beetle engine could be converted to ethanol, which would be nice since my goals are simple: 1. Eco-friendly and 2. Cool car. I wish I could produce enough ethanol to make that feasable.
http://www.otherpower.com/cgi-bin/webbb ... ;read=7499
Beside that, you have problems like viscosity (bio-diesel is made from vegetable oil, which solidifies at low temperatures, and is still thick with additives that prevent that, so a glow-plug is required without computer control).
A Beetle engine could be converted to ethanol, which would be nice since my goals are simple: 1. Eco-friendly and 2. Cool car. I wish I could produce enough ethanol to make that feasable.
-
claytonkierke
diesel into old beetle
It can be done. You need a 2 or 3 cyl Kubota (or other similar) diesel tractor motor. Get a used one on EBAY. You will have to custom make an adapter, and rig up a radiator, but at least the engine will be short. The car will obviously be slower than before, but will have about the same amount of torque.
- sideshow
- Posts: 3428
- Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am
There is a link in this thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9461274 Bug wrote:I remember reading that Porsche was hired by VW to try to turn out a Diesel bug, sometime early 50's...
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
- sinistervw
- Posts: 699
- Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:01 am
just use this tube frame chassis and sit a V10 TDI in their....mid engine!!!
http://www.rorty-design.com/content/ror ... n_home.htm
http://www.rorty-design.com/content/ror ... n_home.htm