FYI this topic was moved from the Speed and Drag Racing Forum. Where it was originally postedmiller wrote:Tugboat said it.
THIS IS A ENGINE CONVERSION FORUM. If you dont like engines other than a flat 4 aircooled in a vw then get out of this section of the forum. If the main poster cared about making a turbo flat 4 he would look at the turbo section.
big block bug?
- Dan Larson
- Posts: 417
- Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:01 am
-
Paul Illick
- Posts: 824
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2000 12:01 am
I think it's a GREAT idea!! Why limit yourself? No limits!! Rusty caddy, broken bug, give 'em a little love and you've got a whole new mutant breed: http://www.wsu.edu/~426hemi/
I love Crazy Joe, he's so matter-of-fact about his insanity.
I love Crazy Joe, he's so matter-of-fact about his insanity.
- CMD
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am
d_roedel wrote:if it is mid mounted, in theory it would handle great, but if your gonna have a v8 along with the tranny the other way, is there enough room to sit??
I've done several of these and the problem is, where to sit! My current project is a small-block F@#D front engine Split bug; and I wanted to sit in the stock location, both to use the original dash, and for the "sleeper" effect. The solution was foot boxes along side the engine. Sports cars have done it for years and it's like driving a van or motorhome. It's not the best choice for big guys, but it works for me!
CMD

-
TeamEvil
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:32 pm
Hey CMD,
It's looking better and better!! Nice job so far!!!! I've been using my V8 panel truck as my daily driver for the past three weeks and those "foot boxes" are getting old . . . !!! I'm gonna have move the gas pedal up on top of the trans hump or even into the passenger foot well. The dash is supported by a forward roll cage and the brake pedal is too far inboard. I keep hitting the gas rather than the . . . well there have been a few VERY close calls as I go rocketting through what should have been routine stops.
Otherwise no real complaints for now. Gotta change the timing chain, and later on the rear end (a 4:11 Detroit Locker) will have to go as well. But for now, it's fun and fast!
Best,
TC
It's looking better and better!! Nice job so far!!!! I've been using my V8 panel truck as my daily driver for the past three weeks and those "foot boxes" are getting old . . . !!! I'm gonna have move the gas pedal up on top of the trans hump or even into the passenger foot well. The dash is supported by a forward roll cage and the brake pedal is too far inboard. I keep hitting the gas rather than the . . . well there have been a few VERY close calls as I go rocketting through what should have been routine stops.
Otherwise no real complaints for now. Gotta change the timing chain, and later on the rear end (a 4:11 Detroit Locker) will have to go as well. But for now, it's fun and fast!
Best,
TC
- CMD
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am
- CMD
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am
TeamEvil wrote:Hey CMD,
I've been using my V8 panel truck as my daily driver for the past three weeks and those "foot boxes" are getting old . . . !!! I'm gonna have move the gas pedal up on top of the trans hump or even into the passenger foot well. The dash is supported by a forward roll cage and the brake pedal is too far inboard. I keep hitting the gas rather than the . . . well there have been a few VERY close calls as I go rocketting through what should have been routine stops.
Best,
TC
Hey, TC
Thanks, ........ You Gots the Big Feet. That's the problem! How 'bout smaller pedals?? ...........Got any new photos?
CMD
-
Guest
I would go with the front wheel drive system out of the older caddy's. it used a straight (front to back) mounted iron carbureted V8 and the GM TH 425 "wrap around" auto transmission and integral differential. The advantage are you also use the Caddy's double A arm suspention that is designed for the weight and a free airconditioning system. Simple weld in and you are done.
I am considering this for my (now) 1600 lbs. Bradley GT if I ever find an old Caddy for next to nothing.
I am considering this for my (now) 1600 lbs. Bradley GT if I ever find an old Caddy for next to nothing.
- CMD
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am
geddes66 Said:
I would go with the front wheel drive system out of the older caddy's. it used a straight (front to back) mounted iron carbureted V8 and the GM TH 425 "wrap around" auto transmission and integral differential. The advantage are you also use the Caddy's double A arm suspention that is designed for the weight and a free airconditioning system. Simple weld in and you are done.
I am considering this for my (now) 1600 lbs. Bradley GT if I ever find an old Caddy for next to nothing.
.................................................................................................
In the '70's I did this with a Corvair and it made a nice street car, but it would be WAAAY to heavy for a Bug or Bradley!! The drivetrain is MASSIVE! A more modern Frontwheel drive would be lighter and a better choice, in my opinion.
CMD

I would go with the front wheel drive system out of the older caddy's. it used a straight (front to back) mounted iron carbureted V8 and the GM TH 425 "wrap around" auto transmission and integral differential. The advantage are you also use the Caddy's double A arm suspention that is designed for the weight and a free airconditioning system. Simple weld in and you are done.
I am considering this for my (now) 1600 lbs. Bradley GT if I ever find an old Caddy for next to nothing.
.................................................................................................
In the '70's I did this with a Corvair and it made a nice street car, but it would be WAAAY to heavy for a Bug or Bradley!! The drivetrain is MASSIVE! A more modern Frontwheel drive would be lighter and a better choice, in my opinion.
CMD

-
Guest
Yes. Jaw droppingly massive! And, granted corners are a little difficult while doing wheel stands but it whould sure be impressive! I was looking at mostly the simplicity. make an adapter to go from where the bumpermounts of the Caddy were to the core tunnel of the VW ends, make sure it is re-enforced to pull wheeleis and you are done. The advantage is the integrated, low suspention without those tall struts that depend on the body of the donor car for strength. You could say with certainty though it would not handle well.
- CMD
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am
-
SportyBug
- Posts: 203
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2002 12:01 am
You might be interested in Renegade Hybrids if you are into putting a V8 into a beetle. Renegade does Porsche conversions but you still might find some help there just the same.
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
