94mm Domed Pistons
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
- Bob Ingman
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:01 am
I should update this thread. The distributor finally got back to me about the domed 94mm P&C kit. His explaination was that he had dished pistons and that he had heard they are sometimes called domes! good one huh? He was selling these products on thesamba out of Nampa Id and I see he is now advertising on the STF T-4 parts for sale. Kona is the name. Good luck. Bob Ingman
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
I figured it had to be crap. It sounded too good to be true. But thanks for chasing it down BOB. On the other hand....and for instance, my 90.5mm domes are going into the lathe next week. They are going to have a further .030-.040" trimmed out around the periphery around the dome. Effectively raising the dome a futher .030-.040. That will give a new dome height of between .103"-113"....up from .073" . I am going to mill the cylinder seating areas on the block the same amount...whichever I decide....to both set them parralel to the crank centerline perfectly and to keep my deck at .040"...which is what it goes to when you drop the shim and the head gasket.
Now....thinking along those lines...if you had some 94's..that were either (1) a lower pin height...but just slightly.... so that you could afford to have the edge of the piston top lathed off ...you could have 94's with stock domes...only you could control the diameter of the dome as well too.(2) Or maybe even on stock pin height flat tops...as long as you think they are strong enough in the upper ring land areas to have...say .075-.080" of a 5/8" wide ring lathed off around the edge of the piston top...you would be in business. Since that would increase the effectivedeck height of that area, by whatever you milled off...you would also need to adjust the spigot height as well. Since the heads would now sit technically (on my engine)... .040" closer to the crank centerline, I don't think my pushrod tubes will have any real sealing difficulties...but I will probably get new pushrods when I set the valve geometry up. Ray
Now....thinking along those lines...if you had some 94's..that were either (1) a lower pin height...but just slightly.... so that you could afford to have the edge of the piston top lathed off ...you could have 94's with stock domes...only you could control the diameter of the dome as well too.(2) Or maybe even on stock pin height flat tops...as long as you think they are strong enough in the upper ring land areas to have...say .075-.080" of a 5/8" wide ring lathed off around the edge of the piston top...you would be in business. Since that would increase the effectivedeck height of that area, by whatever you milled off...you would also need to adjust the spigot height as well. Since the heads would now sit technically (on my engine)... .040" closer to the crank centerline, I don't think my pushrod tubes will have any real sealing difficulties...but I will probably get new pushrods when I set the valve geometry up. Ray
- Bob Ingman
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:01 am
Ray this is off topic. I went to buy 412 heater boxes this week. The seller sent a photo. They were three bolt triangular. I needed three hole rectangular. Help me find a set! Please!
Also on an unrelated note. When you find time I would like you to send me a PM explaining how to recurve a distributor by changing springs and rods. Thanks. Bob Ingman
Also on an unrelated note. When you find time I would like you to send me a PM explaining how to recurve a distributor by changing springs and rods. Thanks. Bob Ingman
-
Guest
Porting
Bob, was doing a search of porting my 1.7 heads when I came across this thread. Noticed your name and remembered the 412 exhaust you contacted me about. VERY interesting thread. I get lost trying to follow Rays discussion of domed pistons, quench areas, etc.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 1.7L heads. I too am building my 1.7L into a 2.OL. Already have the 71mm crank and matching rods, looking at stock 96's (can't afford Nickies) and would like to use my 1.7heads with larger valves. Am considering doing my own porting (mild). I have a second set of 1.7L heads if I mess up the first ones.
Would like to keep in touch with you about building your motor.
John A. in Anchorage
(have you found the exhaust your looking for yet?) I haven't located the post on the modified header you mentioned for the bug.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 1.7L heads. I too am building my 1.7L into a 2.OL. Already have the 71mm crank and matching rods, looking at stock 96's (can't afford Nickies) and would like to use my 1.7heads with larger valves. Am considering doing my own porting (mild). I have a second set of 1.7L heads if I mess up the first ones.
Would like to keep in touch with you about building your motor.
John A. in Anchorage
(have you found the exhaust your looking for yet?) I haven't located the post on the modified header you mentioned for the bug.
- Bleyseng
- Posts: 994
- Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 12:01 am
To use the 1.7 heads just open them up for the 94mm register and then port the intake and exhaust carefully so they breath better. So where there is a few pics on porting type 4 heads.
Use the 42x36 valves and a decent cam (Web 73 if FI or a split duration if carbs).
Set the compression ratio to 8.5 to 1 and you will have about 100hp.
Geoff
Use the 42x36 valves and a decent cam (Web 73 if FI or a split duration if carbs).
Set the compression ratio to 8.5 to 1 and you will have about 100hp.
Geoff
-
Alaskabug
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:42 am
search for porting pics
Thanks Geoff for the great info. knanie posted on 11/23/03 in type4rum Polishing and Porting heads that the Standard Abrasive website has tech articles on porting, found the site but not the tech articles. Also, there's a couple photos at www.teteze.com/kdanielson Open Vw project page, port photo's are near the bottom. There has to be more out there. Please let me know if you find some good stuff.
Thanks for the recommendation on valve sizes and CR.
Happy T-day.
John A.
'56 T-1 Conversion to T-4 2.0L
Thanks for the recommendation on valve sizes and CR.
Happy T-day.
John A.
'56 T-1 Conversion to T-4 2.0L
-
Racer Chris
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:01 am
-
Racer Chris
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:01 am
You can find a picture of one of my pistons along with other engine pics here: Engine pictures
I am very happy with the JE pistons and Nickies. They are exactly what I asked for.
I am very happy with the JE pistons and Nickies. They are exactly what I asked for.
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
-
Guest
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
Yeah...I have been wacking off to the thought of those 94's....for weeks!
. Actually I have my pistons already, so I can't play much more. I have a set of stock 1.7 domes that I am having milled down on the dome periphery, to make a .12n9 dome from from a .079" dome. I am staying in the 1.7 range...because, exhaust, cam, valves and ijection are worked out for it. Will probably make about 105 HP. Ray
-
Racer Chris
- Posts: 665
- Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:01 am