converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
-
Hoxviii
- Posts: 614
- Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
"Single port" and "horsepower" aren't really two words to be used in the same sentence. What the SP lacks in top end, it makes up for in durability and bottom end torque. A built up SP is actually better than a built up DP for things like off roading and out of the hole power. the SP will always pull an equivalent DP off the line, but the DP will wind out farther before puttering out. I'm getting ready to build a torque 1600SP and stick it in my stock geared and weight '66 (4.3 R&P, 1770 lbs with me in it). This thing'll be a blast out of the hole and on twisty roads. While the SP maxes at about 100 HP (and that's ALOT of work) you can make that mother pull a house down. This motor won't make my car much faster(max about 5500-6000), but it'll make it a hell of a lot quicker. Besides, what do i want with a 140 mph street car? So long as it'll do 80 i'll be happy. This car won't be fast, but it'll be fast enough.
Justin
Justin
-
69NoH20
- Posts: 579
- Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
I think the thing is that even with a SP the engineers at VW de tuned the engine so that t wouldnt possibly blow up. Just like detroit detunes engines today for economy and saftey.
-
Hoxviii
- Posts: 614
- Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
In 1966 the 1300SP made 50hp, in 1967 new emissions laws came into effect so as to maintain a power status quo the 1967 VW became a 1500, with a mere 3 hp to show for 200cc's. When the 1600 SP came out it was to appease more emissions laws so it was only hitting 55 hp. Now tell me, if I ignore all the emissions parts and build this egine the way it should have been, 70 hp is no sweat, once you want to go past 70, get ready for some work and/or be willing to pay out the wazoo for gas(100 low lead-110 racing, depending on compression) Add some carburetion and bump the compression a touch and there you are. But again, the SP makes power down low and makes better fuel economy than the DP, but if you want a screamer DP is the only way to go.
Justin
Justin
- Bob Ingman
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
I have always been impressed that off-road engine builders such as Adam Wiks do routinely squeeze 85-90 hp from a stock 1600cc single port engine. I know that in this case the word stock is absolutely stretched to the max BUT it is a 1600 single port with single 30PICT carb. I say Hats off to them! good luck. Bob Ingman
-
Hoxviii
- Posts: 614
- Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
what kind of stuff do they do to squeeze that much power out of a "stock" motor? What kind of suff do they do to the carb and how much compression do they run?
Justin
Justin
- BrianD
- Posts: 230
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
Hey guys thanks for the insight, all I want is to be able to keep up with traffic and run at 70mph comfortably. Now any additional off the line is better for me than all out top speed. It sounds as though I may stay SP and just rebuild the bottom end to a 1600 and see what happens. I am getting about 24mpg now and need more hill and take off power.
Thanks
------------------
67 beater bug (commute)
92 ford explorer (exploring)
98 dodge stratus (cruising)
Thanks
------------------
67 beater bug (commute)
92 ford explorer (exploring)
98 dodge stratus (cruising)
- BrianD
- Posts: 230
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
PS
Are dual 34icts on a SP worth the money?
Are dual 34icts on a SP worth the money?
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrianD:
...Are dual 34icts on a SP worth the money?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
At $360-$420 I'd say no. They are a nice setup for a 1600 though, if you come across a good deal on a second-hand set they're worth considering.
...Are dual 34icts on a SP worth the money?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
At $360-$420 I'd say no. They are a nice setup for a 1600 though, if you come across a good deal on a second-hand set they're worth considering.
- BrianD
- Posts: 230
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
marc,
So if I go to a 1600 SP are they worth the money?
If you know of anyone selling some let me know.
Thanks,
So if I go to a 1600 SP are they worth the money?
If you know of anyone selling some let me know.
Thanks,
- Bob Ingman
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
Brian, there are a lot of sale boards on the net where good deals are found on carbs. However single port manifolds are getting a bit rare. Good luck. Bob Ingman
-
69NoH20
- Posts: 579
- Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
I have a 34 for sale. [email protected]
-
JK
- Posts: 313
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 1:01 am
converting 1500 SP to 1600 DP
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrianD:
[I may stay SP and just rebuild the bottom end to a 1600 and see what happens. I am getting about 24mpg now and need more hill and take off power.
The way I do it is buy a new case. You may get by with that old case, but if you want to be sure use a new case. If money is a big issue I can understand using the old case. Get case savers and 8mm head studs.
Another thing to upgrade the power some is to use 88mm machine in P&C. They run nice and cool with SP heads. You have to machine the case and heads and 88s are about twice what 85.5 pistons/cyls are so it is about $300. I'd choose to spend it on a case if it came down to choosing. With this size engine stock carburetor is the easiest IMHO.
Nice and easy except for clearing out that preheat tube.
Good economy with stock carb.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
[I may stay SP and just rebuild the bottom end to a 1600 and see what happens. I am getting about 24mpg now and need more hill and take off power.
The way I do it is buy a new case. You may get by with that old case, but if you want to be sure use a new case. If money is a big issue I can understand using the old case. Get case savers and 8mm head studs.
Another thing to upgrade the power some is to use 88mm machine in P&C. They run nice and cool with SP heads. You have to machine the case and heads and 88s are about twice what 85.5 pistons/cyls are so it is about $300. I'd choose to spend it on a case if it came down to choosing. With this size engine stock carburetor is the easiest IMHO.
Nice and easy except for clearing out that preheat tube.
Good economy with stock carb. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>