Blowing oil on rebuild.
-
74EMPI
- Posts: 411
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
Marc,
I drove it around town for a couple of hundred miles before hand. The daily commute is 30-35 minutes at 55-70 mph. I still don't understand why it would only leak during the high speed driving and never around town. Is it excessive case pressure or rings? I asked John Connolly at air cooled.net about his breather kit and he suggested that if I could remove the oil filler cap and not feel air escaping then the rings were fine(Sorry if I misquoted/ or mangled your meaning John) and it would be a regular oil leak. Is it necessary to use a breather case on a stock 1600 DP(the engine leaked before the Kadrons and exhaust)? This leak is the last small issue(I fixed the distributor drive gear based on Marc and Jakes suggestions of rotating the drive dog) and I would love to figure it out soon.
Mike
I drove it around town for a couple of hundred miles before hand. The daily commute is 30-35 minutes at 55-70 mph. I still don't understand why it would only leak during the high speed driving and never around town. Is it excessive case pressure or rings? I asked John Connolly at air cooled.net about his breather kit and he suggested that if I could remove the oil filler cap and not feel air escaping then the rings were fine(Sorry if I misquoted/ or mangled your meaning John) and it would be a regular oil leak. Is it necessary to use a breather case on a stock 1600 DP(the engine leaked before the Kadrons and exhaust)? This leak is the last small issue(I fixed the distributor drive gear based on Marc and Jakes suggestions of rotating the drive dog) and I would love to figure it out soon.
Mike
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
Well, since you've got a sand seal coming I `spect you'll use it (watch the belt alignment with a bolt-on seal, you'll need to shim the generator pulley out a bit; a steel pulley will far outlast an aluminum one).
When you have the stock pulley out, examine it closely for any burrs or obstructions in the "thread" that screws the oil back into the case. If you find a problem there you might want to give the stock setup another chance before resorting to the sandseal. I wouldn't expect a street 1600 to need more than the stock crankcase ventilation system unless you were buzzing it hard.
Have you got a thermostat system on this engine? It can take longer to break in rings without one....
When you have the stock pulley out, examine it closely for any burrs or obstructions in the "thread" that screws the oil back into the case. If you find a problem there you might want to give the stock setup another chance before resorting to the sandseal. I wouldn't expect a street 1600 to need more than the stock crankcase ventilation system unless you were buzzing it hard.
Have you got a thermostat system on this engine? It can take longer to break in rings without one....
-
74EMPI
- Posts: 411
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
Thermostat is installed and working. I will check the pulley when I remove it. Any hints on removing it without the use of a puller?
Mike
Mike
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
With the engine in the car and no puller it's tough to get it off undamaged - I'd get a puller if you have any hopes of reusing the pulley. Do you have an air chisel?
-
74EMPI
- Posts: 411
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
I don't have an air chisel. Last time I removed a pulley was a bent one that I had on this engine. I drilled holes on an angle close to the center of the pulley to relieve pressure and this made it easier to pull.
Mike
Mike
- slowsixtyduece
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
Mike- are you sure the oil is coming from the pulley? one time, i had a long drive (about 100 miles) and i opened up the decklid to find tons of oil that had squirted everywhere. come to find out it had leaked out of where the fuel pump is bolted to the case. tightened down and no probs. Also check the oil height ( if you havent already) to much oil might make it squirt). But then again, i had a power pulley that i put on one time, started up the car,and it leaked all over. Threw the old one back on -no probs- so hopefully its youre pulley and not any internal seals. good luck..
-
74EMPI
- Posts: 411
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
So far I have cleaned off all the oil and tightened down everything according to spec. The pump cover is clean of oil. When I open the decklid after a long drive there is oil pooled up under the lip of the decklid on the right hand side. Enough so that it runs off when the decklid opens. I believe this to be cause by the pulley throwing the oil there. I will have the sand seal soon so we'll see after that.
Mike
Mike
-
dcb914
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
You mentioned that this motor was rebuilt, did the oil slinger get put back on the crank before the engine was assemblied? If not that is your problem.
-
74EMPI
- Posts: 411
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
Yes the slinger was put back on and I made sure in the correct direction. I checked the picture in the book 3 times while I was doing it.
Mike
Mike
-
Tom Perso
- Posts: 1581
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2000 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
Do you have an oil bath air cleaner? I can't remember when they switched to air filters...
If it IS an oil bath cleaner, I had refilled mine, too much in fact... It would spill out and hit the pulley and spray all over the place.
Just an idea...
Later,
Tom
If it IS an oil bath cleaner, I had refilled mine, too much in fact... It would spill out and hit the pulley and spray all over the place.
Just an idea...
Later,
Tom
-
74EMPI
- Posts: 411
- Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 12:01 am
Blowing oil on rebuild.
The problem has been resolved. The case was not align bored correctly and the opening where the pulley goes in was larger than it should be. I installed a sand seal pulley and it still leaked. Used JB weld around the pulley seal and now the leak is gone.
Mike
Thanks to all that replied.
Mike
Thanks to all that replied.
-
flane1212
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 pm
mine blowing too
just finished a complete rebuild my self,all but jugs and pistons...mine to is blowing oil, not sure where....oil level is correct, vented oil filler, not sure...I am starting to think it may be my oil reliefs...also it only happens when i am driving at higher speed down the highway...not sure.......
- FJCamper
- Moderator
- Posts: 2913
- Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:19 pm
Taking A Breather
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... highlight=
Take a look at this breather info. It may help.
FJC
Take a look at this breather info. It may help.
FJC