Hey All,
I'm new to this board, sorry for that late post.
I recently (last weekend)removed the turbo setup off of my 2055 cc 914. I pretty much built it myself. It was a draw through Weber side draft with a Garrett chrysler turbo that I bought new (for a good price). I used a F.I. spider for the intake (downstream of the turbo), welded up the exhaust system (used the first foot or so of a stock exhaust to interface with the heads), and added a water injection system. I jerry rigged an adjustable control (the stock wastegate is set at 5 psi) to bump up the boost to 13 psi. After many hours (more than 100) I was never able to get a consistant idle and smooth running under light load. I was, however, able to make some great power though. I used to have a 73 911, and this thing had alot more power than the 911. I'm guessing the turbo adds between 60 to 80 % more power (over the NA 914). The nice thing about the turbo is when you step on it, there is a slight delay (spool up)then it shoves you back into the seat, and the power comes on around 3500 rpm (One thing I had to do was put in a 911 pressure plate to hold the torque). I did have some detonation when running 91 octane. I solved that problem by mixing in some racing gas. I pulled the engine out today because I was getting alot of blowby (mainly at idle). I thought the detonation messed up a piston or rings. The rings and pistons are fine, except the clearance is about .006 in. The book says .002 is max. I'm wondering if the blowby is from the clearance or from the back pressure of the turbo or both. Anyone have an idea? So the turbo project was alot of work, but mostly fun work. The car was just alot easier to drive with the NA IDA's, so that's what I am going back to.
Turbo 914?
-
Mueller
- Posts: 278
- Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 12:01 am
Turbo 914?
beavertim.....
Electronic Fuel injection is what you need
Electronic Fuel injection is what you need
