914 Race car project

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by Dave_Darling »

So this isn't the same "914 GT race car project" that you've been selling for the past several years? Is it really a different car, or just that same one that you dipped and then decided to sell again?

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
RacerBVD
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by RacerBVD »

First, I haven't been trying to sell a GT, ever, a 74 with a Bilstien package, yes, but it has been sold!! This was my personel car, until I sold it over the summer, I have owned, collected parts for it since 86, so you are wrong!!!! Only because the person who bought it got married and has too much work, did I end up getting it back. It would have been a much easier sale had it been tigether as when I sold it, but I didn't plan on selling this car, the person who bought it was the only one who could have bought it, and he worked on me for a few months. But since I have a 3.0 74 914-6, a 914 PCA I class 914(I'm keeping these two), a 73 with a 1.7, a 73 that is caged with a wide body (I don't want to race thar class)the acid dipped 73, a 74 914 and another 73, noth to mention (I said don't mention it) the Chalon that I bought for what was to be my future stepson and the other GT look that was to be our track car project. I just want to get down to 6 Porshes, my 2 SCs, 2 914s, 944 race car & 924S, so, again, to answer you question, no, this is not a car that I ever put up for sale before!!!

------------------
RacerBVD
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by Dave_Darling »

Then I humbly apologize.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
RacerBVD
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by RacerBVD »

Accepted, but I still need to thin my 914 fleet down to two:-)

------------------
RacerBVD
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
HotRod
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by HotRod »

RANDERSKI, I think I bought some parts (struts or trailing arms, I forget) from you awhile ago.

First, before you get an acid dipped car, acid dipping is illegal in SCCA. Also, the way the rules are set up, a car that would be competitive in FP (SCCA) wouldn't be competitive in PCA since the class it would be in goes up to 2.4 litres. So if you want to run in front, you really need to pick one and build the car to the rules. Having raced in both, I would recommend SCCA.

As far as a 914 race car, I have a friend who is selling all his 914 stuff, race car, complete extra set of fiberglass, about 7 or 8 parts cars (I think 2 of the parts cars have usable tubs) several core motors, slicks, rains. I know the car since I built it and raced it a couple years, he bought it from me about 5 years ago.

E-mail me if you want any info on it. I may have some pics too.
HotRod
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by HotRod »

Ooops, after I posted I noticed that Zeke has already posted a link to the car, the blue #92 with the yellow bumper.
RANDERSKI
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by RANDERSKI »

HotRod...yes you did buy the rear arms off my "parts" car. I hate that I sold all the goodies off that car. I now have a need for it all now and have been looking long and hard for replacements.

I stumbled across a guy here in Charlotte that has a stash of 914s (a sweet 914-6 also!) that is willing to let me have run of his parts for our shop car. I am going to pick up a pair of 1.7 and 2.0 motors for the project next week. I may also pick up a complete 2.7 6 cyl. for down the road when we want to upgrade.

Does anyone know if a rear brake caliper off a mid to late 80's Acura Legend is the same as a 914? I had one in one hand and one in the other and they looked identical...only made by different companies. Just a thought.

I will be starting next week on pulling the 914 apart for the rebuild and body work. How about Chartruse (sp?) Green for a color? It was this color from the factory but was painted over Pumkin Orange!

I need to locate a pair of bumpers for this car...glass bumpers. My budget will be blown if I have to buy new... any leads?

Any points on the car that need attention that I can take care of now instead of later? I read the post above about the trailing arm points...already mentioned but worth noting. Any ideads that could save me time down the road will be much appreciated...
HotRod
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by HotRod »

Yeah, there are a lot of things you need to consider before you even start. First, pick a series (SCCA or PCA), get the rule book and prepare the car to the rules, PCA and SCCA rules aren't the same. I sent you an e-mail. Hopefully I'll see ya at VIR or Charlotte next season.
RANDERSKI
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by RANDERSKI »

I hope to run more PCA than SCCA after getting my comp. license...a year or more from now before my first DE. Until then I will be building the 914 along with a 944. In 2003 I will be attending most of the PCA events here in the East. VIR, Roebling Road, Kirshaw and Charlotte are all on the agenda. I have been attending these events to offer tech support to our customers and to catch some (very little) of the racing. I hope to see you there!
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by Dave_Darling »

The chartreuse-y color was called Ravenna Green (unless it is metallic, in which case it is Delphi Green). That's a bright color!

Glass bumpers are available from a variety of places. I think you may be able to get pre-75-style ones from Sheridan http://www.ultimate914.com , you can get late-style ones (maybe early, too?) from All914/High Performance House http://www.all914.com ; and others.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
RANDERSKI
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by RANDERSKI »

Thanx Dave...you are so right! That color is a knockout in the sun! Do you know where I can source a set of the header stubs? They bolt to the heads and are about 4.5in long with a two bolt flange that the header bolts to. I will be making a custom turbo header but woul love to start with those subs prefabbed.
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by Dave_Darling »

Talk to Racer Chris (I think his BBS name is). Chris Foley, CFR Welding. http://www.tangerineracing.com . I think he sells the stubs separately. Kerry Hunter might as well; not sure. http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com

If the CFR ones match everything I've heard about his systems as a whole, they'll be works of art. Not sure about the Hunter ones.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

everything Chris does, is almost unreal.

I use his stubs all the time, work great and are interchangeable with several other systems as well.
User avatar
Dave_Darling
Posts: 2534
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2000 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by Dave_Darling »

I finally figured out why I dislike Ravenna Green so much!! (And I do...)

When I was little, my town decided to change the color of their firetrucks from "fire engine red" to "safety yellow-green". Guess which 914 color is an almost exact match for the latter color?

I hated that--I wanted my firetrucks to be red, dammit! Image But I'm pretty sure that's where my negative reaction to Ravenna Green comes from...

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com
RANDERSKI
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

914 Race car project

Post by RANDERSKI »

Funny stuff!! It is strange how we remember those kinds of things! We have a pic of the 914 up on the website www.eurowerks.us

You can see the funky green that remains on the front inner pannel behind the bumper. It is quite rough paint wise but the body is solid...two half dollar sized holes in the rockers and under the battery tray is shot, but that's it! Are patch pannels available for the batt tray area? From who? I'll be pulling the car apart tomorrow and getting to work on the body in the next few weeks. Then a full cage and supension mods will follow. Keep checking back in the next few months to catch the build up. Thanks for the help!

------------------
Eurowerks Motorsports
KSRacecars = VW performance
Post Reply