Gruntie,
I think that's the best one yet!
Chris
Let's see if you can beat this!
-
gruntie
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 12:01 am
Let\'s see if you can beat this!
Carefully assembled my 2110 82 x 90.5: checked valve clearances before installation in the car.
Rotated crank, no movement of valve gear.
No camshaft.
Rotated crank, no movement of valve gear.
No camshaft.
-
94teener
- Posts: 129
- Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:01 am
Let\'s see if you can beat this!
As smart as I think I am, I still make mistakes.
I installed 911 struts & brakes on one of my teeners (the yellow autoxer, it turned out to be). When I rebuilt the calipers, I was very careful to orient the pistons correctly so that the heel on the piston faces were down stream from the direction of the rotor, as the book says. Upon full installation, it looked sharp, problem was, I couldn't bleed the brakes, they would simply not come up to any pedal pressure. I figured the master cylinder was screwed up (I had also rebuilt it), so I rebuilt a 19 mm MC and exchanged it for the one I had in the car. Still, could not get any brake pedal. I was at a loss.
A day or two later, I mentioned this to the owner of the shop building my 3.0L six. He just said to me, in a tone as if he was asking me to hand him a wrench, "you got the left and right calipers reversed". I said, "yah, that's what I was thinking", turning red.
The bad part was, I had to pull the calipers and reset the piston orientation.
A heck of a lot of work to learn a lesson.
Phil
I installed 911 struts & brakes on one of my teeners (the yellow autoxer, it turned out to be). When I rebuilt the calipers, I was very careful to orient the pistons correctly so that the heel on the piston faces were down stream from the direction of the rotor, as the book says. Upon full installation, it looked sharp, problem was, I couldn't bleed the brakes, they would simply not come up to any pedal pressure. I figured the master cylinder was screwed up (I had also rebuilt it), so I rebuilt a 19 mm MC and exchanged it for the one I had in the car. Still, could not get any brake pedal. I was at a loss.
A day or two later, I mentioned this to the owner of the shop building my 3.0L six. He just said to me, in a tone as if he was asking me to hand him a wrench, "you got the left and right calipers reversed". I said, "yah, that's what I was thinking", turning red.
The bad part was, I had to pull the calipers and reset the piston orientation.
A heck of a lot of work to learn a lesson.
Phil
-
stinkbus
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:01 am
Let\'s see if you can beat this!
I think Gruntie wins this round!!I once woke up with the syntheyic oil stuck in my head as thinking it would make my bus run better. So I went and spent 25 bucks on amsoil fully synthetic and a bosch filter. Got all the way done and got in the thing to start it. Well I was on a slight incline and when I went to put my foot on the clutch to start it, it slipped off..?hmmm I looked down to see that my precious amsoil was covering the driveway and making it's way into the street. I had forgot to put the drain plug back in. Then, to make things worse, my stepdad had just finished pressure washing the entire driveway!! He came out to show my mom how nice it looked just about the time that I was desperately trying to sop it up with an old shirt...sucked big time 

-
danfromsyr
- Posts: 220
- Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:01 am
Let\'s see if you can beat this!
put a new head gasket on a rabbit 1.6l Diesel BACKWARDS ran for about 500 miles. 3 weeks. PT delivering pizza. Broke the cam in half and drove home on 2 cylinders..
an upside down gasket BLOCKS the Oil supply to the head and never had an oil light hooked up..
2 lessons learned.
an upside down gasket BLOCKS the Oil supply to the head and never had an oil light hooked up..
2 lessons learned.
- Bobtail
- Posts: 963
- Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am
Let\'s see if you can beat this!
How about this one..We laughed for weeks.
We had decided to install 911 struts and Ford escort steering rack on a torsion bar beetle front end .After much cutting and welding it was all installed we had suspension ,steering hell we even had ackermann.
So driver gets in bug and drives out of garage, turns steering wheel left, front wheels turn right.
How the small details can be overlooked ,out of 3 of us none had noticed the rack turning opposite to the wheel.
We just couldn't convince the owner it would stop his car gettin stolen so we had to fit the rack infront of the struts and swap the struts side for side.
------------------
www.centralvwaudi.com
We had decided to install 911 struts and Ford escort steering rack on a torsion bar beetle front end .After much cutting and welding it was all installed we had suspension ,steering hell we even had ackermann.
So driver gets in bug and drives out of garage, turns steering wheel left, front wheels turn right.
How the small details can be overlooked ,out of 3 of us none had noticed the rack turning opposite to the wheel.
We just couldn't convince the owner it would stop his car gettin stolen so we had to fit the rack infront of the struts and swap the struts side for side.
------------------
www.centralvwaudi.com
-
Va914
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Let\'s see if you can beat this!
Off topic but,
I scored a nice weed-eater off this guy. "It won't run" you can have it." Me being the El-cheep'o that I am I took it and figured I could fix it.
It turns out the air filter housing broke off and the guy used duct tape to hold the filter on. He cover the entire intake with duct tape and had no idea why it wouldn't run..
Kind-a fun some folks are.
Told you it was off topic.
I scored a nice weed-eater off this guy. "It won't run" you can have it." Me being the El-cheep'o that I am I took it and figured I could fix it.
It turns out the air filter housing broke off and the guy used duct tape to hold the filter on. He cover the entire intake with duct tape and had no idea why it wouldn't run..

Kind-a fun some folks are.
Told you it was off topic.