944 Brakes

VW based Porsche. In a league of its own.
newestone
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 12:01 am

944 Brakes

Post by newestone »

just checking in for an update, anything new it sounds like an awesome upgrade.
User avatar
Aircooled_vw
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2001 12:01 am

944 Brakes

Post by Aircooled_vw »

Sorry, no progress at the moment. After doing some digging with part numbers, I found that the early 944, all 911 (to 1989 anyway), and all 914-6 use the same front wheel bearings (and the same aluminum hub). Naturally the VW Type IV/914 front bearings are different. I have not yet gone to the local bearing supplier to match anything up.

I ended up buying a pair of 911 Carrera front struts for the 914. I will use these struts with the 944 hubs that I already have. Unfortunately, one of the struts was bent so now I still need to buy another.

If my direction changes from the Carrera strut thing, I'll post an update.

Rick
Tarnx

944 Brakes

Post by Tarnx »

If you are so inclined there is a complete 911 front end on ebay last look $100. I believe the 944 rear brakes are bolt on. I am still waiting on parts to verify that.
Roland Kunz
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:01 am

944 Brakes

Post by Roland Kunz »

Hello

1.) The 914 comes in two versions:

914/6 with ventet disc having the 911T set up on front

914/4 has a solid disc and uses the 411/412 system

The VW comes with following axle:

Front with torsion spring axle or Mc Pherson axle. Now there are different set ups for both axles. The 411/412 has a own Mc Pherson strut

The rear is not from interest now.

If you have a standard beetle platform or a Type 3 you cam upgrade different combinations.

Starting with the use from early type 3 parts on the type 1. The late type 4 got the 914/412 disc/calipercombo.

The 911 system will fit on none from those cars.

The superbeetle shares parts with the 924 and the 931/944.The 931/944 uses the 911 T disc with carrier but a Audi 100/200 caliper.

This is working aout that you can swap the front spindles. The only difference is the steering link rod end needs to be atached from the other side ( needs other link/head )

The 924/944 rearaxle is basically a type 1 IRS so you can bolt on the parts. Best way is to use the adjustable torsion arms.

The low is you have to modify or fabricate the beetle emergency brake cable.

The system also widen the track by 10 mm each side.


Now there is no way to fit the 911/944 situp direct on the 914/4 or theVW spindles.

Some companys made own solutions mostly avoiding to touch the spindle carrier. This part is made from forged steel and it is hard to alter the raw as you don´t have enough flesh to work out.

In germany we have TÜV witch has high levels in security from parts and as long you didn´t made the expensive aprovals you can´t use the part legally.
http://www.mbt-engineering.de/engineeri ... ntro_e.htm
http://home.t-online.de/home/UweH.Reuter/bremsent.htm
http://home.t-online.de/home/UweH.Reuter/brems_po.htm
http://home.t-online.de/home/UweH.Reuter/t_po_rad.htm

The flat 4 pages can be loaded in english if you go back over the startpage.

Check the german look forum too


Grüsse Image
Tarnx

944 Brakes

Post by Tarnx »

If any one is interested I have the specs for the 944 spindle. Diameter, heights, bearing numbers etc. Steve Stromberg if you are interested I could send you the set of spindles to see if they are bolt on or I can measure the parts for fit. Since the brakes are going on a ball joint bug I have no use for the spindles and I am interested in finding out if they fit anything other than a 944.
Rodolfo
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:01 am

944 Brakes

Post by Rodolfo »

[HI I am interested in the dimesnsion. But i would like to know if already istalled the brakes which type of calipers did you installed. I would like to installed them in my 69 Karmann Ghia Front & back. If you already installed them How did you o the conversion and pic will help.
I am planning to go to a very large car swap meet and there is a lot of porshe stuff i would like to purchase the right combo.

Thank you

Rodolfo
retro74
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:01 am

944 Brakes

Post by retro74 »

First, I don't know if any of this will work. However, my recollection of this topic was a person that posted a set onto ebay. It appeard that this person took a set of 944 Turbo front calipers, welded the bolt holes shut and then had a machine shop redrill the holes at the correct spot. I think that the 944 pads would be a bit larger than the 914 or 914/6 disks, but the pads could live that way or a machine shop could grind-out that small portion of pad that would hit the unfinished cast portion of the disk.

I hope this helps someone?

Joe

------------------
USA - They can cut down people and buildings, like trees, but the forest still remains.
Michael Ghia
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:01 am

944 Brakes

Post by Michael Ghia »

You can fit 911SC rear hubs shafts, hubs, disks and calipers to the back of a 914 without any problems. But you then have no handbrake... and you have to make some T2 sixed output shafts for your gearbox. I'm not sure if you can use the 914 hub shafts with the 911 rear hubs.
944 and 911 front wheel bearings are the same size (for the early style anyway).
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
Post Reply