Page 2 of 2

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm
by Ian Godfrey
As you would know a Quaife weighs a ton, so that got some 'treatment' too
Quaife.jpg
Quaife lighter.jpg
I drilled the clutch shaft and arm, and used the plastic throwout sleeve, took a bit out of the bowden guide etc.
clutch shaft and arm.jpg

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:07 pm
by Ian Godfrey
The final result is I couldn't get the 5 speed down to the 4 speed weight but I got close, 5.7 higher :(
But it is a 5 speed with Quaife and bus output splines. I've got a ZF LSD, which is lighter, but I worry a bit about it breaking in a car heavier then a beetle.
old box.jpg
new box.jpg

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:40 am
by H2OSB
Not bad at all.

H2OSB

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:18 am
by Bruce2
Ian Godfrey wrote: ↑Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm I drilled the clutch shaft and arm,
How long is the lever arm (center to center)?

Drilled cross shaft:
By my eye, you drilled it 3/8". My calculation says you've reduced the strength by only 5%. However, it is still 2.3 times stronger than the early 16mm shaft.
If you drilled it ½", its strength would be reduced by only 16%. And it would be a hair over double the strength of the early 16mm shaft (that never breaks).

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:52 am
by Ian Godfrey
Bruce, the lever arm is 70mm centre to centre, and the minimum diameter of the clutch shaft is 19mm (where the circlips are).
I had drilled it to 10mm (3/8") but after thinking about what you said and looking at my graph, I drilled it out to 12mm :)
Probably still conservative with a stage 2 Kennedy which is not that heavy.

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:23 am
by Ian Godfrey
I've been working steadily on the Ghia
cut open the pan for new fuel lines and to take some weight out
tunnel and cover.jpg
and put in harness mounts while I was in there
harness mount in tunnel.jpg
I got the Mendeola front end lined up, but it took a lot of work as my frame head was not in line with the centre of the pan :?
leveling front end.jpg
Welded in with some extra bracing
front end welded.jpg

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:37 am
by Ian Godfrey
on to the front suspension:
arms in
arms fitted.jpg
shocks, hubs (944) and disks (early 911)
close up shocks and hubs.jpg
steering rack, Golf 1 with a Quaife quick steer kit, also available in LHD
steering rack mounted.jpg
how it all looks
caliper face.jpg
I was able to get 6 deg caster, and 0 - 4 neg camber as needed. I've gone for a 'crack' of toe in at this stage.

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:43 am
by Ian Godfrey
these are the parts to support the spring plates (Elephant racing poly bronze bushes):
suspension parts jpeg.jpg
I've used uniballs (I think they are Rebel racing) on the trailing arms
uniball.jpg
and cut down the pivot bolt to fit
pivot bolt new.jpg
Torsion cover made out of 944 ends
torsion cover assembly.jpg

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:48 am
by Ian Godfrey
Rear arm first fit
rear arm first fit.jpg
With a disk, also early 911, with a few holes :)
disk face.jpg
sway bar on, (rebel racing, 'cut and shut' to suit VW)
rear sway bar detail.jpg
and the caliper (UK wilwood for Ford Escort)
rear caliper and bracket.jpg

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2026 4:38 pm
by DORIGTT
Hey Ian,
What did the new front suspension setup weigh compared to the old one?

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2026 2:14 pm
by Ian Godfrey
out to the spindles, and including steering box/rack, the new suspension was 8Kg lighter but I welded in about 3 Kg of reinforcement so say 5 Kg lighter. The new spindles and front brakes are 1 Kg lighter too.

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2026 11:47 pm
by Piledriver
Foam Ford racing yellow foam bump stops, much better than rubber. Lighter too ;-)

The fronts are made for struts but I found they work great on my square on place of the stock bumps.
YMMV with the Mendeola setup, but I strongly recommend the foam bumps regardless, all OEMs use them now.

(The red foam on the stock mustangs rears is good if you just want to junkyard pick)

Day and night difference vs stock rubber bumps or Bus bumps, very progressive.

Have to glue them on the alloy rear arms, Duro Plastic Welder has held up for years now.

Re: new suspension, brakes for '69 Ghia

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2026 12:46 am
by Ian Godfrey
Yep, I went for the mustang yellow bumpstops on the rear to replace those cut down stockers and when I sort the shocks on the fron I will do the same.